weams

MLB makes new proposal- Union demands start date and terms by Monday

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has anyone seen a decent economic analysis of the expected revenue and non-player costs in MLB this year, assuming games in smaller stadiums with no fans present?     It seems logical to me, at first blush, that revenues will be down by more than the proportionate number of games played.    In other words, half a season results in less than half the total revenue.   But I really don’t know, because a lot depends on how the TV revenues are affected.    

Yeah, that's the big question.  Fan/gate/concession revenue per game will be down.   Local TV revenue -- no idea?  Will it be pro rated which means per game revenue will be the same?  I have no jdea.

Now national TV revenue should not be drastically down because the big draw for the networks is the postseason.  ESPN/Fox/TBS do regular season national games but nobody really watches.

So the national revenue is the big x faxtor to me.   If the networks really care just about the postseason and pay a good chunk of the normal fill amount, that could make up for the loss of fan revenue and maybe the players have a case for full pro rated salary.

The owners made another proposal today for 76 game season.  Roster size will be 30 for two weeks 28 for next two then 26 to finish up.  You can use up to 60 players on the season.

Just now, bpilktree said:

The owners made another proposal today for 76 game season.  Roster size will be 30 for two weeks 28 for next two then 26 to finish up.  You can use up to 60 players on the season.

Sorry now they saying 72 game season and players getting 83%. 

I feel like the owners are atleast trying to make concessions  while the players union stuck on getting 100% of salary.  If the players don’t start making concessions there will not be a season.  I get it the deal in March was full but that was when the owners still expected some fans at the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

Sorry now they saying 72 game season and players getting 83%. 

Under this proposal the players would get this portion of their full salaries: (72 divided by 162) x .83, or about 37 percent. Have I got that right?

They will start a season.  Don’t get caught up in the drama. They just might not finish it because of corona 2.0

1 minute ago, weams said:

That doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me.

Who would be the arbiter?

Looks like we will get a 48 game season at full prorated unless owners make up every penny of that 20 percent gap.  The owners do seem comfortable playing as few games as possible. 

I for one thinks it’s kind of a big deal for baseball to get started before hockey and the NBA.  Be the first one to the start line and some of this nonsense will be forgiven. 

IMO this dispute is a precursor for the upcoming Labor Negotiations.  I will be so over anything Baseball Related with another strike.

11 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

IMO this dispute is a precursor for the upcoming Labor Negotiations.  I will be so over anything Baseball Related with another strike.

It might not be a strike, maybe it will be a lockout.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:35 PM, Frobby said:

Has anyone seen a decent economic analysis of the expected revenue and non-player costs in MLB this year, assuming games in smaller stadiums with no fans present?     It seems logical to me, at first blush, that revenues will be down by more than the proportionate number of games played.    In other words, half a season results in less than half the total revenue.   But I really don’t know, because a lot depends on how the TV revenues are affected.    

i posted a while back, but  tickets and concessions amounted to about 35% of the average MLB teams revenue.   I don't think that even included parking fees.  

The MLBPA are asking the owners an awful lot for full pro-rated, if the owners are losing 35% of their revenue stream. 

• Upvote 1