Sign in to follow this  
interloper

Keegan Akin likes violently racist tweet

Sounds like to me that anyone that gives a response is just going to be picked apart. That kind of goes against a message board. Glad that @atomic and and @interloper have their cross. 

Just sad. 

Excepting the most extreme situations, which this is not, someone should not be penalized for expressing an opinion. In this case he didn’t even express an opinion, he merely agreed with someone else’s. I don’t know what it was and I don’t care. I usually don’t have a problem with atomic, but I take strong exception to his position, and I lament that there are many people who agree with him.

People must have the freedom to express themselves. Drew Brees did not say anything wrong. He has nothing to apologize for. Kapernick doesn’t have a need to apologize either. Reactions to expressing of opinions are so rapidly over the top that soon no one will express any opinions at all except those who loudest and most extreme.

Akin Did not do anything wrong, he didn’t do anything for which he needs to apologize, And people really need to look very closely at what they are advocating.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, atomic said:

Have I accused him of anything?  Reread my posts.

No you didn't directly accuse him of anything.  You said that if he liked this tweet he should be released, since in your mind clicking like on a single offensive tweet years ago is the same as Delmon Young's multi-year series of incidents that include throwing a bat at an ump, being arrested for aggravated harassment (while drunk) that included anti-Semitic slurs, and later being arrested again for battery in an incident where he attacked a man while yelling racist comments. Sorry, but what may well amount to a two-second lapse in judgment isn't the same as an extended record of racism and violence.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

*raises hand*

I don't think it's really that easy to like a tweet.  Keep your thumb away from the heart button.

I gave one of your posts positive rep once, so accidents can happen, particularly on mobile.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I gave one of your posts positive rep once, so accidents can happen, particularly on mobile.

Well, yeah.  Accidents can happen.   I mean, look at you.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, yeah.  Accidents can happen.   I mean, look at you.

Who'd want to look at me?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sounds like to me that anyone that gives a response is just going to be picked apart. That kind of goes against a message board. Glad that @atomic and and @interloper have their cross. 

Just sad. 

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you criticizing me for the thread? Did you read the tweet? There's no gray area about this. I did allow for the fact it could be accidental, which I feel is more fair than is even necessary.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not a lawyer, can you explain to me how liking a tweet is hate speech?

This kind of semantic nitpicking unnecessarily undercuts the fact that he liked a tweet glorifying the shooting and killing of black people by using the n-word.

Folks are really bending over backwards to defend this tweet? That's the hill we wanna die on? 

50 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No you didn't directly accuse him of anything.  You said that if he liked this tweet he should be released, since in your mind clicking like on a single offensive tweet years ago is the same as Delmon Young's multi-year series of incidents that include throwing a bat at an ump, being arrested for aggravated harassment (while drunk) that included anti-Semitic slurs, and later being arrested again for battery in an incident where he attacked a man while yelling racist comments. Sorry, but what may well amount to a two-second lapse in judgment isn't the same as an extended record of racism and violence.

If not accidental, this was no lapse in judgement. You don't like that kind of tweet unless you are a full on racist.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

This kind of semantic nitpicking unnecessarily undercuts the fact that he liked a tweet glorifying the shooting and killing of black people by using the n-word.

Folks are really bending over backwards to defend this tweet? That's the hill we wanna die on? 

In what world is a minor league baseball player "somewhat prominent"?

They were reaching pretty hard to advance their agenda.

Which is of course their prerogative.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

In what world is a minor league baseball player "somewhat prominent"?

They were reaching pretty hard to advance their agenda.

Which is of course their prerogative.

If the agenda is calling out racism I'm good with that agenda. I definitely want to know if Orioles players are on the side of using the n word. Don't you? 

• Upvote 1

I find it wild that in these situations folks always seem to criticize the person pointing out the racism more than the actual racism on display.

Wild. 

Whatever it takes to bury your head in the sand I guess.