DocJJ

Take the safe pick at #2 or sign someone under slot?

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Word is that Martin considers himself the #1 prospect and wants 1.1 money.  If the Orioles think he's ultimately a second baseman and his bat is not much better than Gonzalez (already a solid second baseman), why not save and go bigger with #30 and #39?

Word is?  From who? Where?

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2020/6/9/21284125/joe-doyles-final-2020-mlb-mock-draft-mariners

Sorry.  I'm sure I saw a specific reference to 1.1 money but can't find it now.

This is where things get a little dicey. Mike Elias isn’t shy about taking the most affordable option on the board, and who can blame him with two more picks in the Top 40 (31, 39). In 2012, Elias and Scouting Director Bobby Heck selected Astros shortstop Carlos Correa over Max Fried, Mark Appel and Byron Buxton. Unconfirmed reports are Correa was the lowest bidder. I think that’s the case here too.

In conversations I’ve had with folks connected to the situation, Gonzales may be the most affordable option here. The Orioles could save upwards of $2 million with this pick, opening the door for some real splash picks later. Heston Kjerstad could save them even more. Also, it should be noted, if Austin Martin ultimately ends up at second base, suddenly the value margin between he and Gonzales drastically shrinks. With Martin being a Scott Boras client, don’t be surprised if he prices himself out of the Elias market.

This is the most negative we've seen this framed. I don't know what type of leverage Martin thinks he has as a college junior. I'm not opposed to drafting Martin if he's taking slot and then doing our best with the later two picks. If Martin is going to start making the signability of 30 and 39 a question or risk blowing the entire budget, then I may agree with underslot gamble. 

Of course, this is the first place I've seen this reported in this manner. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, Greg Pappas said:

I think someone would need to call 911 for me if they went with Hjerstad or Bailey. LOL!

So...are you ok?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/9/2020 at 10:42 PM, Frobby said:

Everything Elias has said has been hedged to some degree.    I think he’s likely to go BPA, but I won’t be surprised if he adopts an underslot strategy.    And I guarantee you that, no matter what he does, he will say he took the player he liked the best of the available choices, regardless of whether it’s true.   

How’d I do?

• Haha 2

On 6/14/2020 at 10:26 AM, Frobby said:

How’d I do?

Good, but even with the underslot strategy, did you assume he was going to use the extra money on the 30th and/or 39th picks?  Him using it on the 4th and 5th rounders was something I hadn't even considered.  

I would have gone Lacy and not even given it a second thought, but I really admire him having the smarts and guts to go this way and pull it off.  

Imagine if Baumler ends up being better than Lacy.  That alone would qualify Elias as a genius, imo.   And if Heston ends up better than Martin and/or Torkelson... well, pizza de resistance.    

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Imagine if Baumler ends up being better than Lacy.  That alone would qualify Elias as a genius, imo.   And if Heston ends up better than Martin and/or Torkelson... well, pizza de resistance.    

Yes, if things turn out really good it will be neat.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, if things turn out really good it will be neat.

real well,