weams

2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

Just now, MountUrCastle said:

Sorry, I forgot power and speed is gifted to you upon birth, and not a trained asset. 

I know it certainly seems dumb, but I would argue that raw power and foot speed are some of the easiest things to improve upon in any sport.

Really?   So teams will draft a guy who has never shown power or foot speed and assume they can some how teach that in the minors?

Sorry, I am a skeptic.

• Upvote 1

So with the number 2 pick the os picked a top 10 pick. I’m not really seeing the uproar. I can see if we picked a late round project. Or a pick from some small high school from Montana or a guy who just started playing baseball in middle school. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Really?   So teams will draft a guy who has never shown power or foot speed and assume they can some how teach that in the minors?

Sorry, I am a skeptic.

I am not saying that a player would get to a plus level of power, or a plus level of foot speed. I am sorry if my point came across like that, thats on me. My point is someone like a Martin (someone who is graded high in plate discipline and bat) could develop a bit more power as he comes through the ranks and outplay his perceived upside in that category. You will likely never see someone change on the mental aspect of the game unless you get to them early, young, and really lean into changing that tool. How many plate appearances do you think Kjerstad has in his career (total) versus say a Crow-Armstrong?

Just now, MountUrCastle said:

I am not saying that a player would get to a plus level of power, or a plus level of foot speed. I am sorry if my point came across like that, thats on me. My point is someone like a Martin (someone who is graded high in plate discipline and bat) could develop a bit more power as he comes through the ranks and outplay his perceived upside in that category. You will likely never see someone change on the mental aspect of the game unless you get to them early, young, and really lean into changing that tool. How many plate appearances do you think Kjerstad has in his career (total) versus say a Crow-Armstrong?

OK, I get your point, but supposedly player development is the forte' of our new front office and I think that CAN include things like plate discipline.   We'll see.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

Power I get. That's the whole point about doubles eventually translating into home runs. Speed, I don't. You can't teach speed. You might be able to to teach someone to be a more efficient base runner / stealer, but you're not going to make them faster. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Right..his bat isn’t good enough for the OF and we have a lot of options there long term.  He has zero future as a LFer.  He is either a second baseman or a UTI guy, if he’s anything.  
    • Yep, let's see what he can do.  His best position may be left field but by all accounts, he doesn't have the bat to carry him there so it looks like 2B or bust.  Let's find out. 
    • Yeah, he signed a 6 year deal there for $7 mil - rather than try again in the 2019 draft - must not have thought he'd be a first round pick again.   Man, that stinks for Rocker.  Hopefully he comes back 100% healthy.    
    • It doesn’t matter if Jones isn’t a second baseman right now.  You make him show you that he isn’t one at this level. If that is proven, so be it..right now, on a team that doesn’t care about winning and one that has horrendous options like Valaika getting a lot of playing time over there, you see what you have because, why not?
    • I think I know what SG would say.  Its because Eshelman is no good.   But that is not the reason that Elias made the move.  My guess is he is ready to activate Richie Martin from the 60 day IL and needs the 40 man roster spot.   Martin will probably be assigned to AAA for at least a month.   Then Elias will decide it he is ready for a promotion to the majors.   Speaking about the infield,  Baltimorebaseball.com has an article speculating that the O's are about ready to promote Jahmai Jones to the majors to play 2B. https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/08/02/minor-monday-jahmai-jones-nearing-promotion-orioles/ To me this the Ryan Mountcastle position fiasco  all over again.  The O's trying to be a square pen in a round hole.   The O's tried Ryan at SS/3B/LF before finally realizing that he is first baseman.     All the reports I've read and what I have seen of Jones makes me feel he is not a 2B.   His best position is probably left field.     And while Hays will gets the majority of playing time at left field that does not change my belief that's Jones best position.   His bat is what gets him to the majors but it will not keep him at 2B IMO.   You can say what is the harm in playing Jones at 2B for the rest of the year and beside it probably being ugly you are probably right.  But let's not lose sight that there is probably a move to the outfield in Jones future again IMO. With Stowers arriving in the majors next year sometime and Neustrom probably ready by next spring the O's will soon have plenty of corner outfielders.  Hays and Santander get the playing time in the corners for the last third of this season trying  to show they can hit major league pitching and hold on to their spots but if you count Jones  and oft injured  Diaz in that outfield competition there are more outfielders than spots and a trade or two are likely next year. That traffic jam would seem to be a reason to trade Mancini from the DH/1B role but Mancini has something that none of those guys have.  A bat that produces 30 homers and 90+ RBI a season.    I am not saying how  all this turns out but the traffic jam is predictable.
    • Do you mean, median WAR/team from the draft?    I haven’t seen that exact calculation, but here’s an article that breaks things down a bit: https://community.fangraphs.com/analyzing-the-draft/ Finger to the wind, I’d say a median team draft produces about 20 rWAR.   I think the median may be considerably below the mean, and so an endless string of median-level drafts would not be a good result. I get there three different ways.   First, the article shows that the available WAR in a draft is roughly 600 on average.  600/30 = 20. Second, I did a study of the AL East drafts a while back and found that the drafts from 2000-09 had produced 1100 WAR.   1100 for 5 teams over 10 years = 22 WAR per year.   That number can rise a bit since some of those players are still playing, though most aren’t.    Third, we know that WAR is calibrated so that an average team will have 34 WAR in a year.   70-75% comes from drafted players, the rest from foreign players.  So figure 26 WAR/year from drafted players.   Logically, the draft should be supplying about that much talent every year for the system to be self-sustaining.   The reason I think the mean is probably significantly higher than the median is that one star player might produce enough WAR to cover 2-3 drafts.    FWIW, the Orioles’ 2000-2009 drafts had produced 153 WAR going into this season.    Clearly a below average total, which is not surprising.   
    • I saw 4 plays.  2 routine plays he made (weak arm).  One tough play he made but he looked  like a circus clown.  He made a mental error not covering 1b on ball between P and 1b.  1b was salty, he fielded ball and had no one to throw to.  Dude is really really fast and looks very very strong.  
  • Popular Contributors