weams

2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

15 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Someone made a career college highlight video of him FWIW. Hadn't seen it posted:

Not sure what to make of Kjerstad throwing the first basemen to the ground on the first play.  The first baseman was not giving him access to the bag, but not sure that warranted the shove.   Although the Texas players didn't seem to upset about it surprisingly.   I was expecting the benches to empty.   Niche highlight reel regardless.  

Kjerstad as his bat flip down already as well, so there is that. 

21 minutes ago, murph said:

Not sure what to make of Kjerstad throwing the first basemen to the ground on the first play.  The first baseman was not giving him access to the bag, but not sure that warranted the shove.   Although the Texas players didn't seem to upset about it surprisingly.   I was expecting the benches to empty.   Niche highlight reel regardless.  

Kjerstad as his bat flip down already as well, so there is that. 

He's a shorthorn probably deserved it haha. There's no love lost for Arkansas when it comes to Texas.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the video. I generally “scout” high school players and really hadn’t watched that much of him but he really has a sweet swing. His outfield play isn’t amazing but much better than we have marched out their since Markakis wasn’t resigned. Man that is a great swing!  I know I have said this before, but I was told 15-20 years ago that when you draft, you don’t want the 16 year old with a full beard because he is already peaking maturely but a 20 year old that can’t grow a beard has more to grow into. Not every gm goes with that, but this kid looks like a kid and has room to grow. Also with that logic, they haven’t peaked performance wise.  Physically I can see him turning into a Manny Ramirez body type(let’s hope he has that kind of career without whatever). Also why I like Rutschman, baby face with room to mature into a projectable body type. He reminds me of a Buster Posey at the same age. 
Great job on this pick. I was never sold on Martin or Torkleson 

(If any Os exects want to employ me, reach out and send me to Cuba!)😉

• Upvote 3

On 6/12/2020 at 1:52 PM, Number5 said:

30 hits in 16 games!  Holy smokes.  Hits the ball hard to all fields.  I tell you what, watching him run, he doesn't look like the lumbering oaf some on this board would have you believe he is.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, gohogs14 said:

Someone made a career college highlight video of him FWIW. Hadn't seen it posted:

I think he could be a Max Kepler clone.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I don't think this is correct.  The agreement only banned new players from using smokeless tabacco. Now it is true that at least half the stadiums ban it.
    • Could have been the TUE but he chewed tobacco as a simulant in his good years.  He would come to the plate looking wired.  They banned the tobacco about the time he stopped  hitting.    He does not look wired any more and has not for a long time.   The TUE was to help him focus.  I think the tobacco enhanced that.  Also age has eroded the reflexes at this point.   Its a shame what has happened to him.  I think he is a really good person. As far as him retiring and walking away from the money.  Would you?
    • So, if this is true, what does it mean for the O's?   Adley has not played a day at AA or AAA.  Does he begin the season at one of those levels and get moved up after a couple of months?   If that is true do they non tender Severino and being the season with cheaper players like Sisco and Wynns?   Wynns is out of options so he will have to go through  waivers if he is sent down.   Maybe that is why Wynns is still on the 40 man roster. What does that do to the catching depth?   O's have signed Taylor Davis to a AAA minor league contract.   When the Rutschman era is ready to begin, I think that means that other talented players get promoted faster.  Diaz was reported to be close to ready for the major last summer.   He may spend a few days at AAA but if he has a good spring camp and looks good he will probably be up to the majors before very long.  All the more reason to make room on the 26 man roster by DFAing Nunez. If Rutschman is in the majors the O's will not want to rush GrayRod and DL Hall but they will want promote them up levels as soon as they think they are ready.  I think the slow rounding is over when Rutschman arrives.  It will be time to play the core team together as soon as they can.  
    • Came to post this. Heard just the first four bars of guitar in a completely unrelated video. Dug DEEP down in my brain and drug this out.  
    • I had a recommendation of Diamond Head! Just today. Still got it in a TODO tab...  
    • Gee whiz!  So much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over DFA'ing of a journeyman (at best) DH.  
    • This isn't the same argument or it isn't to me.  But I think if the Orioles throw Nunez away because they don't want or can't afford to spend 2 MILLION dollars, then I agree with you.  I just think it is much more likely that he is a fair DH but not much else and the O's have several other guys that are going to be getting those DH ab's.   I worry more about him taking a step forward to another level.  I also believe that if Elias shared my view he would be on the team because 2 mil would be cheap.  The team dropped 3.5 mil on Iglesias.   I think they will spend, but I think they will also look for ways to eliminate redundancy.  
  • Popular Contributors