Jump to content
weams

2020 Comp Pick A (30): Jordan Westburg - SS - (JR) (Mississippi State)

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

So much for the picking Kjerstad so we could use some underslot savings on a high upside High Schooler theory....     

I didn't realize the draft was over. 

Kelley was the best potential over-slot guy IMO, and he is still there.  No reason to take him at 30 if it was unlikely that anyone 31-38 had enough money to take him.  I'm not sure I'd keep letting him slide past our #39 pick, though.  Seems like there could be some other teams that could be able to go over-slot on him in round 2 - Boston for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Elias & Co. have a hell of a crystal ball then.

For what it’s worth:

“9:53

Chris: There are going to be some unbelievable pitchers available tomorrow….

9:53

Eric A Longenhagen: Agreed, some of them will need to be over slot”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To play Devil's advocate, maybe the money for the International market came out of the draft?

That is certainly possible. I hope that it isn't the case. I will be very disappointed if we don't spend all (or very close to all) of our draft allotment. Still doesn't make the original claim any less ridiculous when we gave Adley a record breaking signing bonus a year ago. Here's hoping we snag some premium over-slot talent and that our two picks today end up winners. At the end of the day all any of us want is a winning club to cheer for. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

For what it’s worth:

“9:53

Chris: There are going to be some unbelievable pitchers available tomorrow….

9:53

Eric A Longenhagen: Agreed, some of them will need to be over slot”

I like the sound of that. Lets bring some home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith Law on Westburg and the underslot strategy:

If that pick was to save money, rather than a straight preference for Kjerstad, they didn’t take advantage of it at pick 30, the first selection of the Competitive Balance A round, where they took Mississippi State shortstop Jordan Westburg, a very good athlete who also strikes out too much and has to work on pitch recognition as well as reducing his leak at the plate.

https://theathletic.com/1865805/2020/06/10/law-thoughts-and-analysis-from-day-1-of-the-mlb-draft/?source=user_shared_article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Keith Law on Westburg and the underslot strategy:

If that pick was to save money, rather than a straight preference for Kjerstad, they didn’t take advantage of it at pick 30, the first selection of the Competitive Balance A round, where they took Mississippi State shortstop Jordan Westburg, a very good athlete who also strikes out too much and has to work on pitch recognition as well as reducing his leak at the plate.

https://theathletic.com/1865805/2020/06/10/law-thoughts-and-analysis-from-day-1-of-the-mlb-draft/?source=user_shared_article

If the idea was to take a high school over-slot guy plus a college player with picks 30 and 39, why take the over-slot guy first if you have assessed that the teams picking 31-38 aren't likely to go over-slot?  If you wanted Westburg, taking him first looks like a good idea if you're confident that the over-slot will still be there at 39.  I'll go with Elias over Law every day of the week.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

If the idea was to take a high school over-slot guy plus a college player with picks 30 and 39, why take the over-slot guy first if you have assessed that the teams picking 31-18 aren't likely to go over-slot?  If you wanted Westburg, taking him first looks like a good idea if you're confident that the over-slot will still be there at 39.  I'll go with Elias over Law every day of the week.

I think Law was suggesting that the savings from Kjerstad should’ve enabled the O’s to go over slot at both 30 and 39. Perhaps they will go over slot at 39 and 74. I’m somewhat skeptical that they’re going to spend their full allotment, but will be happy to be wrong (I’m aware that they’ve traditionally spent the full allotment, but this is a different year with Covid and the new presence in Latin America). We will find out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Don't we have Gunnar Henderson as the shortstop we're grooming for the big leagues?  Did we just use round 1A draft pick to fill a minor league roster for the next 12 years?

Not everyone expects Gunnar to stick at SS. There's also no rule that you can only have 1 SS prospect in the minors. If they can stick at that position -- they can likely play anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this quote,

Westburg passes the analytics test thanks to strong exit velocities and he was very good with wood bats against elite competition in the Cape Cod League last summer. In a draft light on quality shortstops, Westburg could sneak into the first round as a below-slot bonus guy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-mock-draft-2020-spencer-torkelson-austin-martin-go-1-2-marlins-select-first-pitcher-off-board/amp/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Found this quote,

Westburg passes the analytics test thanks to strong exit velocities and he was very good with wood bats against elite competition in the Cape Cod League last summer. In a draft light on quality shortstops, Westburg could sneak into the first round as a below-slot bonus guy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-mock-draft-2020-spencer-torkelson-austin-martin-go-1-2-marlins-select-first-pitcher-off-board/amp/

Ok, well at least those are reasons they liked him that I can understand - even if I think they drafted him too high.  And the mocks that I saw had him going about where he went - some a little higher and some a little lower.  Still, he's gotta make contact to make the exit velo count. 

They better have some starting pitchers targeted for at least rounds 2 and 3.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...