Jump to content
wildcard

Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

The rumor on draft night was that Boras  was asking #1 money for Austin Martin.  And that dropped him to be taken #5.   That is (#1) 8.4m instead of (#2) 7.8m  or 600K over slot.   That would be money taken away from signing the O's other 5 picks.   Not only that.  Its a pretty good bet the Boras will wait until the last minute to sign Martin which could mess up the ability to sign other O's draft picks.    If that is true,  Elias said not thanks as did the #3 and #4  draft teams.   It will be interesting to see what Martin signs for.  Any one want to bet its higher than the 6.1m slotted for the #5 pick?

So if Elias did not want to go over slot for Martin he also made it pretty clear he did not want to draft a pitcher at #2.   Not Lacy (my pick), Meyers, Hancock or Detmers.    Elias also did not want the risk of a high school player.  So no Hassell or Veen.

That leaves Gonzalez from New Mexico State.  Same college as last year's draft pick Joey Ortiz.  That didn't work to well in his first season.  The Western Conference vs the SEC is too risky at #2.  

So that leaves Elias with Kjerstad.   Lefty handed, middle of the order hitter in Camden Yards.   That is a saver pick.  Then add that he can probably be signed for 5.5m which allows Elias to go over slot elsewhere.  There is the logic for the pick.

As mentioned the process is broken when it forces a GM to take a player that’s not the BPA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You are offering a perfectly reasonable take to an unreasonable person who has his heals dug in.

Great contribution from a class act (Rolls Eyes)!

you have posted twice around this topic with a slight aimed at me. 
 

Offering nothing to the conversation beyond a snarky comment and some ass kidding to another

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

As mentioned the process is broken when it forces a GM to take a player that’s not the BPA

An agent and his player do not have to sign with a team.   Its a free country.   If Boras wants to hold out for 8.4m for Martin  and the Orioles don't want to pay it that is freedom of choice.

Elias knows that so he went another direction.  As did the Marlins and the Royals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

As mentioned the process is broken when it forces a GM to take a player that’s not the BPA

When has a GM been "forced" to take a player?  That would fall on ownership more than anything. 

I'm betting Martin signs for less than slot for the second pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Go back and look at the Sun article before the draft. I was merely quoting the article. 
 

I am not sure what your point is, but you seem to be criticizing the Orioles for not selecting a player who was gone before they picked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

An agent and his player do not have to sign with a team.   Its a free country.   If Boras wants to hold out for 8.4m for Martin  and the Orioles don't want to pay it that is freedom of choice.

Elias knows that so he went another direction.  As did the Marlins and the Royals.

So you agree it’s broken. In the NFL nearly every draftee signs every year. There are very little shenanigans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So you agree it’s broken. In the NFL nearly every draftee signs every year. There are very little shenanigans 

So the players having some small degree choice means the system is broken?

Also when is the last time a baseball player held out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When has a GM been "forced" to take a player?  That would fall on ownership more than anything. 

I'm betting Martin signs for less than slot for the second pick.

They skip the BPA for two reasons ... money demands and to overpay later picks. As I mentioned it a flawed process.

I can sit here and come up with Elias’ reason for passing on Martin anymore than you can. But, I believe it was more due to the underslot strategy or dealing with Boras than anything else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, POR said:

I am not sure what your point is, but you seem to be criticizing the Orioles for not selecting a player who was gone before they picked.

Go back and read the whole conversation and the get back to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the players having some small degree choice means the system is broken?

Also when is the last time a baseball player held out? 

Yes.... anything that deters a team from taking the BPA is a problem. 
 

High School players chose college after being drafted all the time. A guy doesn’t get paid $1 million over slot later in the draft without leveraged 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They skip the BPA for two reasons ... money demands and to overpay later picks. As I mentioned it a flawed process.

I can sit here and come up with Elias’ reason for passing on Martin anymore than you can. But, I believe it was more due to the underslot strategy or dealing with Boras than anything else.

 

You mentioned the NFL, do you think NFL teams take the BPA every pick?  Do you think that occasionally NLF teams won't take a QB with a top pick since they won't fit into the team's payroll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes.... anything that deters a team from taking the BPA is a problem. 
 

High School players chose college after being drafted all the time. A guy doesn’t get paid $1 million over slot later in the draft without leveraged 

So HS kinds shouldn't be part of the draft?  College baseball should be outlawed? 

I'm trying to brainstorm ways to fix this "broken" system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mentioned the NFL, do you think NFL teams take the BPA every pick?  Do you think that occasionally NLF teams won't take a QB with a top pick since they won't fit into the team's payroll?

No ... but they trade out in order to recover the lost value. 
 

In the NFL, the Ravens are the perfect example. 
They want the 10th best player and have the #2 pick. They simply slide back to 6-8 slots and get extra value. The #2 overall is worth substantially more than the #10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So HS kinds shouldn't be part of the draft?  College baseball should be outlawed? 

I'm trying to brainstorm ways to fix this "broken" system.

1) They should have to be 2 years out of HS. I believe that is the way the NBA is doing it right?

2) what ... are you even reading my posts? I said that MLB should work with the NCAA to come up with a system that’s mutually beneficial.

A system that sends most high school players to college would benefit the NCAA. 
 

3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No ... but they trade out in order to recover the lost value. 
 

In the NFL, the Ravens are the perfect example. 
They want the 10th best player and have the #2 pick. They simply slide back to 6-8 slots and get extra value. The #2 overall is worth substantially more than the #10

So instead of taking the BPA available at #2, they trade down to #10.  When they trade down they get something in return right?  Like maybe a couple of second round picks?

The value of picks from one sport to another varies but that is essentially what the Orioles did here. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I was a little disappointed that Junior Lara, who got a late start in the DSL but did well there, wasn’t invited to Instructs.   I still expect he’ll play in the FCL next year.   
    • How far is Bellinger from free agency?  It would be nice to get him to sign to an extension, but I don't see a reason for him to do so.  If he even partially rebounds, he would want a $100 mill deal. 
    • My wife and I decided to watch this HBO miniseries after it won several Emmys, including Kate Winslet for best actress in a limited series (7 episodes each about an hour).   It’s fantastic.   It’s about a police detective (the title character Mare) in a small, run down Pennsylvania town, where everyone knows everyone and half the people are related.  Mare has a lot of baggage of her own, slowly revealed as she tries to solve a murder that happens in the town.  Winslet is fantastic in the role, and the whole cast is great.  There are plot twists right to the end.  Highly recommend it.   
    • Hey Sportsfan; Thank you for the compliments.  So there are 3 DSL guys in Florida now. 17 year old Samuel Basallo received $1.3 million.  The biggest bonus of the Elias Era.  He was expected to sign with the Yankees.  He was very good batting .239/.338/.410 for a .748 OPS.  5 homers, 8 doubles.  Now in Instructional League.  Led Orioles 1 in homers and RBIs 17 year oldShortstop Maikol Hernandez received $1.2 million.  He hit .231/.340/.308 for a .647 OPS.  No homers, only 4 for 7 in steals. He is in the Instructional League so they still believe in him. 17 year old 3rd baseman Anderson De Los Santos received $350,00. He hit a robust..324/.409/.495 for a .905 OPS.  He also filled in at short, but made to many errors.  A little error prone at 3rd, but he's a converted shortstop.  Only 18 strikeouts in 127 at bats, 15 walks.  6 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers, 3 for 4 steals.  Tremendous 1st year, now in the Instructructional League.   17 year old speedy centerfielder Junior Lara received $160,00.  Batted .344/.434/.500 in only 77 at bats.  So he missed half the season with an injury. 17 year old Rightfielder Wilmer Feliciano received $400,000.  He struggled with strikeouts and groudouts.  Hit .202/.312/.353 for a .665 OPS. Hit 4 doubles, 1 triple, 4 homers.  Also 3 for 3 in steals.  119 at bats, 45 strikeouts, 70% groundouts to 30% flyouts.  Terrible ratios for a big-time power hitter.  I would think his swing can be corrected. I was disappointed in Orioles 1.  13 and 39 overall.  With all those bonus babies, still a young team. Orioles 2 was a competitive team with modest bonus players.  25 wins 30 losses. Their most intriguing player was 18 year old Shortstop Frederick Benscome. He was a late Class of 2019 signee.  6 feet 160lbs left handed power from a shortstop. 142 at bats, 6 doubles,4 triples, 2 homers, 11 walks, only 18 strikeouts.  10 steals in 13 attempts. 60% flyouts to 40 % ground outs.  I would have thought he should be in Instructional League teaching others how to make contact and put the ball in the air !!!!    
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...