wildcard

Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Well ... the approach appears to be a dumb move now. Most/all here seem to be pretty unhappy! I don't for the life of me understand why you leave a guy with a 70 hit tool on the board to take Kjerstad. The Orioles have a real shortage of OBP guys and had a chance to add a really good one.

I realize only time will tell if Elias is right ....But this move reminds me of the Hobgood selection and we all know how that went

I don't even care as much about the hit tool, so much as using a 1/2 selection on someone who's already a stretch to play RF.  If he doesn't OPS .850 in the majors he's not an asset, and he'll have to be over .900 to be a real positive.  Someone like Martin has so many more options and paths to being a productive player.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Disgusted ... the Orioles continue to do crap wrong ....while things seems to go the other way for the Ravens.

What do the Ravens have to do with anything?

I’ll be happy if Westburg ever makes the team. Kjerstad better be up by late 2022. 

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Looks like we’ll still be losing 100 games a year in 23/24. 

The most prominent indicator that half the lineup isn't free agents because we never made a playoff push at the deadline.

Does anyone think that Luke was heavily involved in scouting these two picks? Im willing to give the FO the benefit seeing as they use the most state of the art methods to scouting amateurs. Obviously they think Kjerstad his a very high ceiling. I'd really like to hear from Luke about this. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Does anyone think that Luke was heavily involved in scouting these two picks? Im willing to give the FO the benefit seeing as they use the most state of the art methods to scouting amateurs. Obviously they think Kjerstad his a very high ceiling. I'd really like to hear from Luke about this. 

I think that while they see value in his work he's one data point among many.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think hes implying that one Baltimore organization handles everything correctly, while the other....well, you know, doesn't

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I doubt we are going to hear from Luke now that he is working inside the organization.

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

[cut to dream sequence]

Ravens take a cue from sporting clubs around the world, and start a Ravens Baseball team.  In Europe and elsewhere sports clubs were started a century or more ago, and many of them have gymnastics, gyms, soccer, women's soccer, hockey, basketball, futsal, etc as part of the club.  The Ravens, seeing a giant baseball black hole in the Baltimore sports landscape with the O's recent performance, form a baseball team and put them in the Atlantic League.  The configure M&T Bank Stadium much like the LA Coliseum, with a very short porch in LF and a giant screen.  The team is well-funded, they run roughshod over the Atlantic League, and then lead a push to a 3rd major league.

[/dream]

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

I think hes implying that one Baltimore organization handles everything correctly, while the other....well, you know, doesn't

Maybe.  But I think some people think that the Ravens success is a detriment to the Orioles.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe.  But I think some people think that the Ravens success is a detriment to the Orioles.

How so?

Just now, CarrRun49 said:

How so?

If the Ravens keep winning and the Orioles keep losing, the Ravens will be the #1 priority for sports in Baltimore (they already are).  Families that will take their money and spend it on the Orioles will spend it on the Ravens instead, etc.  People will buy Ravens gear instead of Orioles gear.  

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't .... I think the Orioles have poor ownership. Things have gotten better in many regards ... But you see stuff like yesterday that just stinks of penny pinching

• Upvote 1

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I don't .... I think the Orioles have poor ownership. Things have gotten better in many regards ... But you see stuff like yesterday that just stinks of penny pinching

I don't disagree in regards to penny pinching.  They just pick weird times and places to do it in.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

We'll see.

Folks thought the same when Hobgood was picked and it turned out they spent a lot that year.