Jump to content
weams

2020 Round 4 (103): Coby Mayo - 3B - (HS)(Marjory Stoneman Douglas)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And if we had a mid to late first round pick, that plan might be more palatable.   You don't get a #2 pick all that often, hate to not get full value out of it.   We consoled ourselves that suffering through at 108 loss season would at least get us a special player who could jumpstart the rebuild.   Well, I don't think it did now.   Best case we got a much better 4th round pick longterm than most, but we didn't come out of this draft with a top-5 player and that means the suffering of last season was for naught IMO.

We’ll see if he’s a top 5 player.    We don’t know that he isn’t.    Just that a lot of draft analysts didn’t think so.    Elias probably felt otherwise, even if he wouldn’t have slotted him at no. 2.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And if we had a mid to late first round pick, that plan might be more palatable.   You don't get a #2 pick all that often, hate to not get full value out of it.   We consoled ourselves that suffering through at 108 loss season would at least get us a special player who could jumpstart the rebuild.   Well, I don't think it did now.   Best case we got a much better 4th round pick longterm than most, but we didn't come out of this draft with a top-5 player and that means the suffering of last season was for naught IMO.

I don’t think the plan last year was to be the 2nd worst team in baseball. Regardless, Elias was in the position to take a player he wanted most and hopefully he’s being somewhat honest and did so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

We’ll see if he’s a top 5 player.    We don’t know that he isn’t.    Just that a lot of draft analysts didn’t think so.    Elias probably felt otherwise, even if he wouldn’t have slotted him at no. 2.

All I know is whenever people on here start talking about losses being good because they might get us a one of a kind player, or charting the "race" for the #1 pick like it's a pennant race, I'm going to be giving them a great big middle finger.   Because I don't think we got what you should get out of the #2 overall pick.   Maybe through some kind of equation Elias can make a case that the dropoff in value from a normal #2 is compensated by getting Mayo when we did.   But to me, a #2 overall should be someone that we can dream about being a huge impact player, at least until reality and the law of averages hits us in the face after a few years.   Now someone who has what appears to be significant holes in his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

All I know is whenever people on here start talking about losses being good because they might get us a one of a kind player, or charting the "race" for the #1 pick like it's a pennant race, I'm going to be giving them a great big middle finger.   Because I don't think we got what you should get out of the #2 overall pick.   Maybe through some kind of equation Elias can make a case that the dropoff in value from a normal #2 is compensated by getting Mayo when we did.   But to me, a #2 overall should be someone that we can dream about being a huge impact player, at least until reality and the law of averages hits us in the face after a few years.   Now someone who has what appears to be significant holes in his game.

In reading everything about players in this draft I don’t see anything that anyone is a once in a lifetime player in this draft. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I don’t think the plan last year was to be the 2nd worst team in baseball. Regardless, Elias was in the position to take a player he wanted most and hopefully he’s being somewhat honest and did so.

Yeah those pesky Tigers got in the way of the plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well here is your first overslot guy. Big High school right-handed power hitter with a power arm. This is where the Orioles money comes in handy because few team would have been able to buy him outta of his college commitment at this point. Reportedly has a $1.5 to $2 million number to buy him outta of his Florida commitment. His price tag is most likely was why he's still available in the 4th round. That and the fact that his swing can be a bit inconsistent. Had an exit velocity of 107 MPH in game this year and can put up some light tower power already at a young age.

Moves well enough that if his footwork doesn't come around at 3B, he can be moved to RF to take advantage of his hose. May have as much upside as Kjerstad. 

This is a guy to be excited about.



 

Where do you think he would have gone without the commitment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well here is your first overslot guy. Big High school right-handed power hitter with a power arm. This is where the Orioles money comes in handy because few team would have been able to buy him outta of his college commitment at this point. Reportedly has a $1.5 to $2 million number to buy him outta of his Florida commitment. His price tag is most likely was why he's still available in the 4th round. That and the fact that his swing can be a bit inconsistent. Had an exit velocity of 107 MPH in game this year and can put up some light tower power already at a young age.

Moves well enough that if his footwork doesn't come around at 3B, he can be moved to RF to take advantage of his hose. May have as much upside as Kjerstad. 

This is a guy to be excited about.



 

Wow.  I feel like we've been watching a mystery that didn't all make much sense, and now the loose ends are tied together in a very satisfying way.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where do you think he would have gone without the commitment?

His reported number would be late 1st round, early second.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SteveA said:

All I know is whenever people on here start talking about losses being good because they might get us a one of a kind player, or charting the "race" for the #1 pick like it's a pennant race, I'm going to be giving them a great big middle finger.   Because I don't think we got what you should get out of the #2 overall pick.   Maybe through some kind of equation Elias can make a case that the dropoff in value from a normal #2 is compensated by getting Mayo when we did.   But to me, a #2 overall should be someone that we can dream about being a huge impact player, at least until reality and the law of averages hits us in the face after a few years.   Now someone who has what appears to be significant holes in his game.

Baseball isn't like football.  Here are the last 10 #2 picks

Bobby Witt

Joey Bard

Hunter Greene

Nick Senzel

Alex Bregman

Tyler kolak

Kris Bryant

Bryon Buxton

Danny Hultzen

Jameson Taillon

Two legit starts in Bregman and Bryant.  Two so/so players in Buxton and Taillon.  And its early on the couple guys that were taken in past few years. Kolak and Hudson were busts.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent pick.  Love this swing, almost a little Jeff Bagwell-esque and he starts wide and actually strides backwards with the front foot a bit.  His raw tools are legit for a kid his age.  I like this one a lot.  They are saying he may not stick at 3rd, but with that cannon start him there as this is not a Mountcastle type situation. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • My mental image of the 1960s is that it was a lot of low scoring pitchers duels with a lot of little shortstops bunting and stealing bases.  But the stealing bases part is all wrong.  In 1966 the Orioles had the best offense in the league and stole 55 bases all year, caught 41 times. The only teams to steal 100 bases were the White Sox and A's, and both of them were within 0.02 runs of being the worst offenses in the AL. In '66 the average AL team stole four fewer bases than the average AL team in 2019. In 1964 the Orioles were 4th in the majors in steals, but Luis Aparicio was the only player on the team with more than four.
    • Can’t really argue with any of these on their own merits, but you do then face the question of how you reallocate the playing time to account for these changes.   For example, Joey Ortiz is hitting .295/.404/.458 at Aberdeen.   Good, but not necessarily promotion material at this early stage.    So what do you do with his playing time if Henderson and Westburg are suddenly both in Aberdeen as well?     Adam Hall is off to a slow start there, but are you going to demote him when he already played a full, successful season at Delmarva in 2019?     These are tricky decisions.   I can’t disagree with the idea that you look at the players who are most likely to be successful major leaguers, and when they are ready to move up a level, you move them up regardless of who else that affects.   But, it does make things more complicated when you’ve got other decent prospects who are going to lose playing time if a promotion is made.   
    • “Single-A Delmarva infielder Gunnar Henderson was named Low-A East League Player of the Week after going 10-for-23 (.435) with four doubles, a home run, 13 RBIs and seven runs scored.” https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/05/diaz-going-on-injured-list-santander-completes-assignment.html
    • Because a lot of people don’t want to go out to “enjoy themselves” while wearing those stupid masks.  Once Hogan said no more masks, that was good enough. I went to the store yesterday and almost everyone was still wearing them.  If that’s how it’s going to be, that’s fine.  It’s your choice.  I am just glad I have the option to not wear them.  
    • “Bowie third baseman Patrick Dorrian was named Double-A Northeast Player of the Week. He was 7-for-21 with three doubles, three home runs - including a grand slam - 11 RBIs, seven walks and eight runs scored.” https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/05/diaz-going-on-injured-list-santander-completes-assignment.html  
    • The three sites with the most information are: Baseball-Reference.com, Fangraphs.com, and baseballsavant.com.    The latter of those has xBA and xwOBA. I think all three have BABIP.    The best way to learn about this stuff is to go onto those sites, go to the player page for a player, and just explore what’s on there.    There’s all kinds of stuff, and you easily could spend an hour just familiarizing yourself with what’s on there. Also, if you go to the MLB forum here, there’s a thread at the top called Super Stat Sticky: Get Your Learn On that has a lot of good information about where to find things.      
    • And make it easy/easier  for them to turn 2? He did nothing wrong there.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...