Jump to content
weams

2020 Round 4 (103): Coby Mayo - 3B - (HS)(Marjory Stoneman Douglas)

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, SteveA said:

All I know is whenever people on here start talking about losses being good because they might get us a one of a kind player, or charting the "race" for the #1 pick like it's a pennant race, I'm going to be giving them a great big middle finger.   Because I don't think we got what you should get out of the #2 overall pick.   Maybe through some kind of equation Elias can make a case that the dropoff in value from a normal #2 is compensated by getting Mayo when we did.   But to me, a #2 overall should be someone that we can dream about being a huge impact player, at least until reality and the law of averages hits us in the face after a few years.   Now someone who has what appears to be significant holes in his game.

Baseball isn't like football.  Here are the last 10 #2 picks

Bobby Witt

Joey Bard

Hunter Greene

Nick Senzel

Alex Bregman

Tyler kolak

Kris Bryant

Bryon Buxton

Danny Hultzen

Jameson Taillon

Two legit starts in Bregman and Bryant.  Two so/so players in Buxton and Taillon.  And its early on the couple guys that were taken in past few years. Kolak and Hudson were busts.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent pick.  Love this swing, almost a little Jeff Bagwell-esque and he starts wide and actually strides backwards with the front foot a bit.  His raw tools are legit for a kid his age.  I like this one a lot.  They are saying he may not stick at 3rd, but with that cannon start him there as this is not a Mountcastle type situation. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony-OH said:

His reported number would be late 1st round, early second.

So mid second talent?  Or else teams would have just paid his price right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sylvester said:

Baseball isn't like football.  Here are the last 10 #2 picks

Bobby Witt

Joey Bard

Hunter Greene

Nick Senzel

Alex Bregman

Tyler kolak

Kris Bryant

Bryon Buxton

Danny Hultzen

Jameson Taillon

Two legit starts in Bregman and Bryant.  Two so/so players in Buxton and Taillon.  And its early on the couple guys that were taken in past few years. Kolak and Hudson were busts.  

OK.   So I hope we aren't subjected to a season of idiocy on the board from people constantly hoping we lose games so we can get a really high pick.   As you correctly point out, it's just not worth all that much.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, justD said:

 

Needs to come get it at 3rd and play through those routine balls.  If he can get more aggressive and find some rhythm, that arm can play at 3rd no doubt.

PS: Worked for this company (Baseball Factory) for 5 five years; sketchy folks on the business side, but learned so much about scouting during my time there from the baseball folks.  It motivated me to start a charitable LLC down here in western NC to provide the same services without the huge costs.  Not that Mayo would have paid for anything from BF or PG.  BF and Perfect Game fly these elite guys in for free and use their names to scam good players (D3, D2, NAIA, etc) out of thousands.  I work with good and great players; the elite players don't need me or anyone else really.  I apologize for the rant; it just irks me when I see anything Baseball Factory or Perfect Game around.  On the whole, I don't think they are good for growing the game of baseball.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weams said:

Prep Says he models his game after Kris Bryant.

That's got to be a bit tough for Anthony Rizzo to hear - you'd think he'd be the hero of the MSD baseballers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got Coby Mayo in the Rule 5 draft (Shut up) from the Rockies in my OOTP league in 2024.  He was pretty decent but I flipped him to Cleveland a couple years later for prospects that haven't panned out.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Needs to come get it at 3rd and play through those routine balls.  If he can get more aggressive and find some rhythm, that arm can play at 3rd no doubt.

PS: Worked for this company (Baseball Factory) for 5 five years; sketchy folks on the business side, but learned so much about scouting during my time there from the baseball folks.  It motivated me to start a charitable LLC down here in western NC to provide the same services without the huge costs.  Not that Mayo would have paid for anything from BF or PG.  BF and Perfect Game fly these elite guys in for free and use their names to scam good players (D3, D2, NAIA, etc) out of thousands.  I work with good and great players; the elite players don't need me or anyone else really.  I apologize for the rant; it just irks me when I see anything Baseball Factory or Perfect Game around.  On the whole, I don't think they are good for growing the game of baseball.

I think this tangent would be good separate thread.  I find this interesting.  Also, I think we used to have a prominent poster who works for Perfect Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, backwardsk said:

I think this tangent would be good separate thread.  I find this interesting.  Also, I think we used to have a prominent poster who works for Perfect Game.

there are great baseball people that work at both those companies.  Guys I owe so much too, but I could speak for days about the corruption (at least I saw it that way) that I witnessed.  I almost went to blows with a few employees there about some ethical things I saw.  However, I was blessed to have the opportunity.

My favorite moment working there was when I drove up to the Carpenter Cup at UPenn and saw Mike Trout after his sophomore year.  He wasn't really on the radar yet even though he had an amazing sophomore season.  But no one was talking about him when I got there.  In his first at bat, he got a little fooled on a curve, but kept his hands back and crushed the ball off the right centerfield wall.  I looked up and he was standing on 3rd base.  He pitched in the game and I clocked him on the JUGS gun at 86mph.  I was there scouting for our Team One sister company (I think that company is now defunct) and I went home raving about the kid.  I talked to him and his dad for about 6 months about attending our Team One East Regional, but it just wouldn't coincide with their schedule.  Both Mike and his father were extremely nice, humble, and intelligent.  I think his dad said he played milb.  When we first started talking, no one really knew his name, but by the time that 6 months passed, we both knew he didn't need our help anymore.

On the flipside, I got to scout Bryce Harper out in Vegas as a freshman.  HUGE DICK.  I came home from that event (he was already hyped as a prospect) and told everyone in the office he was definitely going to be a superstar but I guaranteed he would never win a World Series on account of his POS attitude.  I stand by it today.

Another kid I got to work with was Nick Castellonos who was also a really cool kid at the time.  Really enthusiastic and polite. But to be honest, I enjoyed working with the small school prospects the most and trying to help them find a spot.  I used to get in trouble all the time for doing free services under the table for the less fortunate kids.  The marketing department would purposely skip over zipcodes that had demographics with lower household incomes.  It was BS.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

On the flipside, I got to scout Bryce Harper out in Vegas as a freshman.  HUGE DICK. 

My eyes got a little wider right here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

there are great baseball people that work at both those companies.  Guys I owe so much too, but I could speak for days about the corruption (at least I saw it that way) that I witnessed.  I almost went to blows with a few employees there about some ethical things I saw.  However, I was blessed to have the opportunity.

My favorite moment working there was when I drove up to the Carpenter Cup at UPenn and saw Mike Trout after his sophomore year.  He wasn't really on the radar yet even though he had an amazing sophomore season.  But no one was talking about him when I got there.  In his first at bat, he got a little fooled on a curve, but kept his hands back and crushed the ball off the right centerfield wall.  I looked up and he was standing on 3rd base.  He pitched in the game and I clocked him on the JUGS gun at 86mph.  I was there scouting for our Team One sister company (I think that company is now defunct) and I went home raving about the kid.  I talked to him and his dad for about 6 months about attending our Team One East Regional, but it just wouldn't coincide with their schedule.  Both Mike and his father were extremely nice, humble, and intelligent.  I think his dad said he played milb.  When we first started talking, no one really knew his name, but by the time that 6 months passed, we both knew he didn't need our help anymore.

On the flipside, I got to scout Bryce Harper out in Vegas as a freshman.  HUGE DICK.  I came home from that event (he was already hyped as a prospect) and told everyone in the office he was definitely going to be a superstar but I guaranteed he would never win a World Series on account of his POS attitude.  I stand by it today.

Another kid I got to work with was Nick Castellonos who was also a really cool kid at the time.  Really enthusiastic and polite. But to be honest, I enjoyed working with the small school prospects the most and trying to help them find a spot.  I used to get in trouble all the time for doing free services under the table for the less fortunate kids.  The marketing department would purposely skip over zipcodes that had demographics with lower household incomes.  It was BS.

This is great stuff.  Was it typically the parents who would be paying the bills and who you therefore had to sell?  Or would college kids be taking out loans to pay for these services?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I don't have any personal animosity toward RZNJ.  It's a message board.
    • I guess it depends on the mindset.  If the big contract was the important thing to you I can see why you wouldn't want to risk losing money by testing positive.
    • Obviously, it's money related but it's also roster related. They believe, and I believe, that they won't lose anything with the extra AB's Stewart and Mullins are likely to get with this move.  Good point by SG for keeping Nunez for depth for now but the better point by Frobby.  At 26 years old Elias apparently feels Nunez is what he is.  A 750-820 OPS go with no defensive value and extremely streaky.  Is it worth 2M to make sure that's all he is?  
    • Beats me.  But I don't believe anyone who's had a bit of success at the ML level while juicing stops taking them, especially after they've bagged a big contract.  
    • I will say it seems strange that Nunez doesn't have some trade value vs a DFA. His avg exit velocity really fell off last year but his WOBA  has increased every year he's been with the Orioles to his career best .341 (MLB avg of .317) though his xWOBA fell to .301 (.321 MLB average) suggesting he was a little lucky last year. His defensive really fell off to the point that he's a DH, which of course puts a lot of pressure on his bat. With Mancini returning, and Stewart needing everyday at bats and an outfield that is getting crowded in a good way (Mountcastle, Stewart, Hays, Santander and Mullins and Diaz at some point perhaps), he's in a bit of a roster crunch.  I'd like to think a guy who was on pace to hit 30+ home runs at 26 years old with a good solid barrel percentage (80 MLB percentile) would have more value, but with offensive numbers continuing to rise, I guess is you bring no defensive value your bat needs to be special, and Nunez is a streaky hitter who can be special at times, but eventually ends up slightly better than average offensively.  Do I think money is involved in this decision? Yeah, I think it would be naïve to say that his arbitration number wasn't a factor. Was it the only factor, no because as I pointed out, there's going to be a crunch for PAs next year between 1B, DH and corner outfield.  As for Davis, it's quite clear that with COVID still lingering, the question on whether a full season will happen next year looms big on whether to finally cut bait on him. It's clear that Davis has no intention of doing the right thing and retiring, so he will continue to embarrass himself and any remaining legacy so he can cash some big checks in the future that he hasn't earned. It's certainly his right to do so. Also, with the CBA coming up, maybe the Orioles think they will save money from his albatross contract if the players strike? It's clear he's only still on the roster because the Orioles are exploring all ways to try and get out of paying him. Nunez was a decent stick, but his defensive woes really cut onto his value and at the end of the day, it seems Elias has decided he rather give those DH at bats to others.  
    • I have a theory. No better than your average CoC theory.  I believe pretty strongly that he did them.  Why stop?  Well, once he bagged his big contract, he may have felt the health risks and the low risk of getting caught were not worth it.  Perhaps he had a health scare or just being married and having a young family made him reevaluate the health risks. I know that he lost a lot of body mass over the last 5 years.  He says he was slow to change his swing because he had prior success.   Then why lose muscle and mass purposely if that's the way you were when you had all your success? No idea on Brady.  He still hit like 24 homers after the 50 homer season.  He may have used but that seadon was an aberration either way.  Like Davey Johnson in 73.  If you believe Brady used, I don't think the seasons after the 50 homer season necessarily mean that he stopped.
  • Popular Contributors

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...