weams

2020 Round 5 (133): Carter Baumler - RHS- (HS)(Dowling Catholic)

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

You are stretching so far to prove something that doesn't exist. 

You are the expert on doing that here at OH, so you probably have a point. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

You are stretching so far to prove something that doesn't exist. 

What?

As I've said, if you seriously think these comps that draft analysts are throwing out means they think they'll be who they're referencing I'm not sure what to say...they clearly aren't.

They just try to give comparable notable players the general fans know about that have a similar style of game+build. You really think Callis is saying Baumler is gonna be Greinke?

23 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

Saying that someone is more athletic than another player doesn't necessarily mean they are a better prospect. 

I gave you the :laugh: emoji just in hopes of someone giving you the :googly-eyed confused: emoji. It would give you a poker flush of reactions.

• Haha 1

According to the Des Moines Register, Baumler turned down two teams' offers before the Orioles picked him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/draft-signings-61320.html

Orioles fifth-round selection Carter Baumler has plans to sign with Baltimore, per Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun. Baumler is a 6’2″ right-handed pitcher hailing from Dowling Catholic High School in Iowa. The 133rd overall pick of the draft carries a slot value of $422.3K. Though the financial details of Baumler’s signing haven’t been released, some of the particulars behind his thinking are laid out by Tommy Birch of the Des Moines Register. According to Birch, Baumler turned down two other teams before agreeing to sign with the Orioles. Had he not received an offer to his liking, Baumler was ready to play college ball for Texas Christian.

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:22 PM, 24fps said:

PA is scheduling the labrum MRI as we speak.

We don't want him to be too good at basketball.  Though I think it's very cool that Pat Connaughton could win a world championship with the Milwaukee Bucks.

• Upvote 1

Is it fair to say that the O's top pick can't be fairly evaluated without taking their 4th and 5th picks into the equation?  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Is it fair to say that the O's top pick can't be fairly evaluated without taking their 4th and 5th picks into the equation?  

I’d definitely say that.    That was the whole point of the move.     

Now of course, you can argue about whether Kjerstad was the right guy if we wanted to go underslot, and how much of a drop-off there is between Martin and Kjerstad.   For example, Fangraphs rates both players as a 50 FV and has Kjerstad ranked 7th.     Other sources ranked him lower.   Perhaps the Orioles rank him higher.   

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2020 at 8:51 PM, Big O said:

What's going on here? Why has this guy not been announced? 

Apparently it’s because he hasn’t been able to get to Baltimore yet to take his physical. Supposedly that will happen either this week or next week, according to Tommy Birch, who is a local sportswriter in Des Moines, Iowa and is in the know.  Nothing to worry about.  He’s going to sign, unless of course the physical goes poorly.  But let’s think positively!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Beats me.  But I don't believe anyone who's had a bit of success at the ML level while juicing stops taking them, especially after they've bagged a big contract.  
    • I will say it seems strange that Nunez doesn't have some trade value vs a DFA. His avg exit velocity really fell off last year but his WOBA  has increased every year he's been with the Orioles to his career best .341 (MLB avg of .317) though his xWOBA fell to .301 (.321 MLB average) suggesting he was a little lucky last year. His defensive really fell off to the point that he's a DH, which of course puts a lot of pressure on his bat. With Mancini returning, and Stewart needing everyday at bats and an outfield that is getting crowded in a good way (Mountcastle, Stewart, Hays, Santander and Mullins and Diaz at some point perhaps), he's in a bit of a roster crunch.  I'd like to think a guy who was on pace to hit 30+ home runs at 26 years old with a good solid barrel percentage (80 MLB percentile) would have more value, but with offensive numbers continuing to rise, I guess is you bring no defensive value your bat needs to be special, and Nunez is a streaky hitter who can be special at times, but eventually ends up slightly better than average offensively.  Do I think money is involved in this decision? Yeah, I think it would be naïve to say that his arbitration number wasn't a factor. Was it the only factor, no because as I pointed out, there's going to be a crunch for PAs next year between 1B, DH and corner outfield.  As for Davis, it's quite clear that with COVID still lingering, the question on whether a full season will happen next year looms big on whether to finally cut bait on him. It's clear that Davis has no intention of doing the right thing and retiring, so he will continue to embarrass himself and any remaining legacy so he can cash some big checks in the future that he hasn't earned. It's certainly his right to do so. Also, with the CBA coming up, maybe the Orioles think they will save money from his albatross contract if the players strike? It's clear he's only still on the roster because the Orioles are exploring all ways to try and get out of paying him. Nunez was a decent stick, but his defensive woes really cut onto his value and at the end of the day, it seems Elias has decided he rather give those DH at bats to others.  
    • I have a theory. No better than your average CoC theory.  I believe pretty strongly that he did them.  Why stop?  Well, once he bagged his big contract, he may have felt the health risks and the low risk of getting caught were not worth it.  Perhaps he had a health scare or just being married and having a young family made him reevaluate the health risks. I know that he lost a lot of body mass over the last 5 years.  He says he was slow to change his swing because he had prior success.   Then why lose muscle and mass purposely if that's the way you were when you had all your success? No idea on Brady.  He still hit like 24 homers after the 50 homer season.  He may have used but that seadon was an aberration either way.  Like Davey Johnson in 73.  If you believe Brady used, I don't think the seasons after the 50 homer season necessarily mean that he stopped.
    • Eh, maybe.  Still, if he did it, he did them for a hell of a year.  
    • Anderson not Davis.   Yea, Cano was using stuff designed in the early 60's.  Not something you want to cheap out on.
    • Sounds like excuses but I won’t fault Davis, I’m sure he’s trying. It’s the organizations fault for offering such an astoundingly stupid contract. We all knew it would end like this. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now