Tony-OH

2020 Orioles draft review: Elias ends up with three first round talents

Funny how Elias was being slammed through his first four picks.    It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

How are they first round talents if no one had them rated in the top 40 prospects?  They apparently aren't asking for more than first round money.  If they are first round talents why wasn't anyone willing to pay 1st round money to sign them in the first round?

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How are they first round talents if no one had them rated in the top 40 prospects?  They apparently aren't asking for more than first round money.  If they are first round talents why wasn't anyone willing to pay 1st round money to sign them in the first round?

I think it’s because no one else thought they would sign, but Elias made a pre-draft deal? Not against the rules just finding out what it would take to get them to sign instead of going to college?

I like he took a couple of high school kids. Hopefully one can eventually make the big team.  My only issue with the draft was I thought we should have drafted another pitcher or two.  

I'm whelmed by this draft, but it obviously remains to be seen how this draft will look in 2-3 years. Only thing that kinda sucks is that Bitsko got poached by the Rays.

• Upvote 1

@Tony-OH appreciate the article.

Personally have not paid much attention to MLB drafts until last year once the new regime has stepped in. The idea of overslotting/underslotting was foreign to me until this draft, but I tend to think this strategy is an excellent way at building up your farm system. 

• Upvote 1

Hahahaha

So funny watching people aka Corn doubt Elias and his crew of insanely intelligent baseball minds. Of course they had a plan. Of course he's going to use his last pick on a first round talent pitcher no one thought would sign in a million years but we have all but signed. 

Come on. People really think he's just out there "saving money" because "the Orioles don't want to spend on players"?? People really do think that! Interesting!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks Tony .... Nice article

But, I think the 1st three picks are crappy! Kjerstad was a reach at #2. A wasted rare high pick! #2 and #3 project as a utility Inf and 4th OF. The high school 5th rounder is the only value pick based on rankings!

Elias crapped the bed here!

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hahahaha

So funny watching people aka Corn doubt Elias and his crew of insanely intelligent baseball minds. Of course they had a plan. Of course he's going to use his last pick on a first round talent pitcher no one thought would sign in a million years but we have all but signed. 

Come on. People really think he's just out there "saving money" because "the Orioles don't want to spend on players"?? People really do think that! Interesting!

Devil's advocate alert! Who, besides the Orioles described Baumler as a 1st round talent?  Where does that description come from?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks Tony .... Nice article

But, I think the 1st three picks are crappy! Kjerstad was a reach at #2. A wasted rare high pick! #2 and #3 project as a utility Inf and 4th OF. The high school 5th rounder is the only value pick based on rankings!

Elias crapped the bed here!

It sure sounds like you are the one crapping the bed. lol.  Relax.  Your description of one guy as a utility Inf and one as a 4th Of are possibilities. Just as it's possible that 90% of all teams 2nd and 3rd round picks become career minor leaguers.

Just now, RZNJ said:

It sure sounds like you are the one crapping the bed. lol.  Relax.  Your description of one guy as a utility Inf and one as a 4th Of are possibilities. Just as it's possible that 90% of all teams 2nd and 3rd round picks become career minor leaguers.

I read the scouting reports and what was said during the draft coverage. Martin was and will be better than Kjerstad ....Bank on it

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Devil's advocate alert! Who, besides the Orioles described Baumler as a 1st round talent?  Where does that description come from?  

Puffing to help strengthen their argument! Happens here all the time! I think it was the best value pick based on player ranking, Around 100, and selected with the 133 selection

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I read the scouting reports and what was said during the draft coverage. Martin was and will be better than Kjerstad ....Bank on it

We can all read. I would bet that you are correct about Martin.  I'm not as sure as you but I don't disagree.