Tony-OH

2020 Orioles draft review: Elias ends up with three first round talents

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

I hear you and you're right. You cant really say cant miss without at least a full season but the tools are there and Elias has shown with Grayson that he has an eye for elite high school pitching. Cikelo (sp?) The orioles scouting director made allusions that a pitcher was taken before they got their ability to do so. I only put two and two together to determine that was likely Bitsko. But you're right. Man, I really have to watch my P's and Q's with you guys as yall are prone to pick apart every word and apply your own definition. I like it though. I will learn to communicate my thoughts to fellow O's fans in better ways as to express my thoughts clearly to all.

Yes. You do need to watch your Ps and Qs.  Proper social discourse is required.  No politics is discussed either. Talk all the baseball you want and enjoy. But don’t project any personal feeling about politics or society on players. Unless you are reporting racist tweets and I’d hate it if you start doing that also. 

2 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

What kind of card is that? Those look pretty nifty. 

A brand called Panini.  They’re on sale at Target here in Sarasota.  They go all the way down to the U15 team so I strangely got an autographed card from someone in 10th grade.  We all need baseball back badly.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, weams said:

Yes. You do need to watch your Ps and Qs.  Proper social discourse is required.  No politics is discussed either. Talk all the baseball you want and enjoy. But don’t project any personal feeling about politics or society on players. Unless you are reporting racist tweets and I’d hate it if you start doing that 

I wasn't. Did you not read my response? I said it didn't matter what side of the political spectrum his statement was about. It was the fact he made a statement at all. No other top prospect chose to do so. I'm merely positing that that means something about that particular player. I could care less what his politics are. I am merely showing that it is a reflection of his character for him to make any message at all. That's it. 

Edited by Explosivo

23 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I wasn't. Did you not read my response? I said it didn't matter what side of the political spectrum his statement was about. It was the fact he made a statement at all. No other top prospect chose to do so. I'm merely positing that that means something about that particular player. I could care less what his politics are. I am merely showing that it is a reflection of his character for him to make any message at all. That's it. 

Good. 

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

I could care less what his politics are. I am merely showing that it is a reflection of his character for him to make any message at all. That's it. 

I don’t see that at all.     I’m going to stay out of politics, but I don’t have a problem with athletes taking a political stand and I certainly don’t see it as a negative on their character when they do.    If this even was a political statement, which is debatable.    

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Explosivo said:

What does it reflect about his character? 

29 minutes ago, joelala said:

What does it reflect about his character? 

Well it's difficult to pinpoint exactly. Just odd that he is the only one doing so and when you are being as selective as one is afforded with the number two pick, every glimpse into the psyche of the person in question matters. I'm more worried about his future position defensively, his lack of power and his arm strength to be honest. But I do think to scout a player is to scout a person. Analytics is a tool and so is psychology. We are multifaceted and each facet requires examination. That's why the interview process is important. It may not be as important as grading the player out, but it is a factor. So what does it say about his character? I can't give a fair answer as I have never had the opportunity to watch the kid in that capacity or to sit down and talk with the kid. I can say in his answers to the media, they are a lot more mercurial than I would hope. These are tiny red flags for sure but again, we were in a position to be as choosey as we would like to be. I think we made a wise choice. We will find out in three years and I look forward to revisiting this topic at that time. Either way, go O's and here's to a playoff calibur team in 3-5 years. 

Edited by Explosivo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Well it's difficult to pinpoint exactly. Just odd that he is the only one doing so and when you are being as selective as one is afforded with the number two pick, every glimpse into the psyche of the person in question matters. I'm more worried about his future position defensively, his lack of power and his arm strength to be honest. But I do think to scout a player is to scout a person. Analytics is a tool and so is psychology. We are multifaceted and each facet requires examination. That's why the interview process is important. It may not be as important as grading the player out, but it is a factor. So what does it say about his character? I can't give a fair answer as I have never had the opportunity to watch the kid in that capacity or to sit down and talk with the kid. I can say in his answers to the media, they are a lot more mercurial than I would hope. These are tiny red flags for sure but again, we were in a position to be as choosey as we would like to be. I think we made a wise choice. We will find out in three years and I look forward to revisiting this topic at that time. Either way, go O's and here's to a playoff calibur team in 3-5 years. 

Hell yea, go O’s. And as to your point, I guess I understand the thinking but will agree to disagree. And I did watch a Martin interview and to me, he came off as extremely earnest and well thought. I like that the young man is passionate about something other than baseball, that he has a sense of a higher purpose, a bigger picture perhaps. One COULD make the  argument even that it is a positive, especially in baseball which can be a very dark and lonely sport when one is mired in an 0-20 slump...

Bottom line: like it or not, we are in a time when our circumstances as a country have politicized virtually all forms of entertainment, I don’t think we can safely and fairly deduce anything negative about the young man through his choice to use his platform and visibility to support a cause he is passionate about. 

This debate is an interesting and important one  I think, though perhaps not for these message boards.  So agree to disagree and know that I respect your views on the issue. Again, go O’s!

13 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

A brand called Panini.  They’re on sale at Target here in Sarasota.  They go all the way down to the U15 team so I strangely got an autographed card from someone in 10th grade.  We all need baseball back badly.

Dude, are your Targets/Wal-Marts still stocking cards?  Up here in Northern VA they've been cleaned out for the past month or so.  I really only buy Topps but they don't have anything from any of the other brands, either. 

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dude, are your Targets/Wal-Marts still stocking cards?  Up here in Northern VA they've been cleaned out for the past month or so.  I really only buy Topps but they don't have anything from any of the other brands, either. 

Sometimes I get the empty cardboard displays but rarely there’ll be something in them.  Last night I got an Adley chrome rookie and a Luis Robert/Andrew Vaughn Chrome refractor numbered out of 150.  And a DL Hall!! 

• Upvote 2

I don't think its correct to call Baumler a first round talent.    MLB Pipeline rated him as the 57th best pitcher in the draft.  And signability had nothing to do with that rating.  The pitchers rated above him had better fastball, breaking pitches, change and/or better control.

Baumler projects to help the O's but that says more about the level on pitching talent in the O's system then anything else.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't think its correct to call Baumler a first round talent.    MLB Pipeline rated him as the 57th best pitcher in the draft.  And signability had nothing to do with that rating.  The pitchers rated above him had better fastball, breaking pitches, change and/or better control.

Baumler projects to help the O's but that says more about the level on pitching talent in the O's system then anything else.

“First round talent” is one of those phrases that means different things to different people.   No. 3 overall pick Max Meyer was chosen in the 34th round out of high school - was he not a “first round talent” then?    Asa Lacy (no. 4) - 31st round.   Emerson Hancock (no. 6) - 38th.    So I think in many cases, calling a high schooler a “first round talent” means he’s someone who would have a good chance of being drafted in the first round if they went to college for three years and developed as expected.    Then there are guys who slip due to money concerns, or who are very talented but have injury concerns.     Lots of ways to look at it.    

For me, I’m happy to call our two late picks second round talents, if it makes people feel better.    

And there is plenty of pitching talent in our minor league system.    We are above average on that front.     The real problem is that our major league pitching is terrible so it’s not like the rising minor leaguers just need to fill in a couple of holes.    

• Upvote 4

Ok, I've been suckered. What did Martin's t-shirt say? Can't find it on the web.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Ok, I've been suckered. What did Martin' t-shirt say? Can't find it on the web.

It really was innocuous. It said "more than an athlete". Its more about how it set him apart. You could look at it as a negative or a positive or neutral. It's not about the political message even if there was one at all. Its just a window into the psyche of the player. And go O's. I want nothing more than to be able to share a World Series with my dad before he passes. He has battled cancer, diabetes, and is still going strong. But man, we need a window to open up because 5 years from now may be a different story. I think that's the main reason why I'm taking such investment in this rebuild and will be vocal in the near future. Go O's!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“First round talent” is one of those phrases that means different things to different people.   No. 3 overall pick Max Meyer was chosen in the 34th round out of high school - was he not a “first round talent” then?    Asa Macy (no. 4) - 31st round.   Emerson Hancock (no. 6) - 38th.    So I think in many cases, calling a high schooler a “first round talent” means he’s someone who would have a good chance of being drafted in the first round if they went to college for three years and developed as expected.    Then there are guys who slip due to money concerns, or who are very talented but have injury concerns.     Lots of ways to look at it.    

For me, I’m happy to call our two late picks second round talents, if it makes people feel better.    

And there is plenty of pitching talent in our minor league system.    We are above average on that front.     The real problem is that our major league pitching is terrible so it’s not like the rising minor leaguers just need to fill in a couple of holes.    

This is kind of how I look at it, too.  Might not have been slam dunk first round talents this year but certainly look like they were headed that way in the future after college.  Also, maybe either Mayo or Baumler slides into the 2nd round if they weren't perceived as hard guys to sign this year.