Jump to content
Tony-OH

2020 Orioles draft review: Elias ends up with three first round talents

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I appreciate the draft strategy, but I’d prefer the headline of “Elias ends up with the top player in the draft.” 

THIS!!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I appreciate the draft strategy, but I’d prefer the headline of “Elias ends up with the top player in the draft.” 

It is curious that the "top player in the draft" slipped to #5.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gatoriole said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this asked yet, but @Tony-OH where do they fit in our Top 30?

I typically don't do reevaluation of prospect lists after the draft, but once they sign I will, especially since it appears there will not be a minor league season.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how to think about this draft...and I think that makes sense given it was a 5-round draft without much 2020 information available. As such, everyone is gravitating towards "old" data when we know how much a year can change someone's draft status. And I don't tend to look at much college or prep guys until the year of the draft anyway so I don't really know much about any of these players.

I think it was an interesting strategy to take with such a high draft pick and some seemingly great options available. But...I'm willing to wait and see.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

How are they first round talents if no one had them rated in the top 40 prospects?  They apparently aren't asking for more than first round money.  If they are first round talents why wasn't anyone willing to pay 1st round money to sign them in the first round?

1st round talents don't always mean they are going in the first round. I mean, if you wanna be tied up on words, be my guest, but guys have 1st round talent and fall for lots of reason including signing demands and risk.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It is curious that the "top player in the draft" slipped to #5.   

It's also curious to assume that MLB teams are infallible and don't make mistakes/aren't motivated by money saving and greed/aren't subject to fallacies/etc.

I feel much better reading Mayo and Baumler as 1st round talents.

Edited by MountUrCastle
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RZNJ said:

We can all read. I would bet that you are correct about Martin.  I'm not as sure as you but I don't disagree. 

Martin's Bat reminds me of a Pedroia type hitter! The Orioles don't have that type of hitter! The guy was a hitting machine with a +65 on his OBP. Low strikeout rate and BB rate that that is pretty close to his KRate.  Alberto just doesnt walk and the .299 OBP is not good for a #1 or #2 slot hitter

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hahahaha

So funny watching people aka Corn doubt Elias and his crew of insanely intelligent baseball minds. Of course they had a plan. Of course he's going to use his last pick on a first round talent pitcher no one thought would sign in a million years but we have all but signed. 

Come on. People really think he's just out there "saving money" because "the Orioles don't want to spend on players"?? People really do think that! Interesting!

Some people are going to stick to their theories and thoughts that somehow Elias is stupid. If this country right now tells us anything is that people are going to believe what they want to believe no matter the overwhelming evidence that shows otherwise. We won't know for years how good this draft was, but the draft strategy was a solid concept.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Martin's Bat reminds me of a Pedroia type hitter! The Orioles don't have that type of hitter! The guy was a hitting machine with a +65 on his OBP. Low strikeout rate and BB rate that that is pretty close to his KRate.  Alberto just doesnt walk and the .299 OBP is not good for a #1 or #2 slot hitter

I liked Martin.  I'm willing to wait and see how Elias's draft pans out. I think he's smarter than me and you. And maybe smarter than Law, and a bunch of other baseball guys too. Maybe.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

It's also curious to assume that MLB teams are infallible and don't make mistakes/aren't motivated by money saving and greed/aren't subject to fallacies/etc.

Right. We don't know who made the mistake yet, do we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

1st round talents don't always mean they are going in the first round. I mean, if you wanna be tied up on words, be my guest, but guys have 1st round talent and fall for lots of reason including signing demands and risk.

I don't think it's just words. I think Hoosiers made a logical and reasonable argument that Mayo and Baumler are probably 2nd round talents based on the money they did get versus where they were actually drafted.  They have upside, no doubt.

Actually, lets separate talent verses round. They may have 1st round talent but no team, including the Orioles, thought they were worth drafting in the first round. To say the Orioles got 3 1st rounders is disingenuous. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Some people are going to stick to their theories and thoughts that somehow Elias is stupid. If this country right now tells us anything is that people are going to believe what they want to believe no matter the overwhelming evidence that shows otherwise. We won't know for years how good this draft was, but the draft strategy was a solid concept.

Well ...You read scouting reports from the various professionals. So you below that most or all of them are wrong? Also stats don't lie! And why they are not an end all, they are a predictor of the ability to handle the levels pitching etc. A low average or OBP might be an strong indicator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roll Tide said:

Well ...You read scouting reports from the various professionals. So you below that most or all of them are wrong? Also stats don't lie! And why they are not an end all, they are a predictor of the ability to handle the levels pitching etc. A low average or OBP might be an strong indicator

Haha. Stats at the HS and college level do lie! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think it's just words. I think Hoosiers made a logical and reasonable argument that Mayo and Baumler are probably 2nd round talents based on the money they did get versus where they were actually drafted.  They have upside, no doubt.

Actually, lets separate talent verses round. They may have 1st round talent but no team, including the Orioles, thought they were worth drafting in the first round. To say the Orioles got 3 1st rounders is disingenuous. 

Money really shouldn't be a factor in taking the BPA. Passing on a the BPA in order to select a better prospect in the 4th or 5th round is counter productive since the player most likley to hit is the 1st rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...