Jump to content
Frobby

Grade the Draft

Grade the 2020 Draft  

130 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What’s your initial grade for the Orioles’ 2020 draft?


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 6/30/2020 at 16:48

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

That feels tough on the Baumann/Kremer/Lowther/Akin basket (heck even Hunter Harvey, possible 2-time Rookie of the Year if he can replicate Gregg Olson's 1989/1990).  I do look for a couple useful pieces from there for the peak Rutschman teams.  Maybe more if the handpicked style of guys from the Bundy trade come along like the FO probably expects.

It would have been different if the Bitsko Plan A had worked, but the Westburg/Haskin/Servideo basket of Spread The Wealth NCAA guys may yield another helpful piece by sometime in '22 when I hope for relevance behind Hall/Rodriguez/Rutschman/Kjerstad/2021 pick 1-X.

I understand that Baumann/Kremer/Lowther/Akin have their fans.  I've just seen one too many of guys like that with similar profiles not make an impact.  I'm not saying everyone has to be Mike Mussina but I just don't see it with that group.  If it's tough on them, so be it.

I would like to believe that Elias wasn't relying on Bitsko to be there at 30.  Too many variables at play (like every other team out there being able to pick him) for him to pin his hopes to one guy being there at that time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand that Baumann/Kremer/Lowther/Akin have their fans.  I've just seen one too many of guys like that with similar profiles not make an impact.  I'm not saying everyone has to be Mike Mussina but I just don't see it with that group.  If it's tough on them, so be it.

I would like to believe that Elias wasn't relying on Bitsko to be there at 30.  Too many variables at play (like every other team out there being able to pick him) for him to pin his hopes to one guy being there at that time.  

My assumption is that he had multiple potential scenarios mapped out, one of which may have been taking Bitsko. It appears that didn't work out, but the folks that suggest he had all of his eggs in that basket are blinded a bit by confirmation bias. I think Mayo Baumler were definitely potential outcomes mapped on the decision tree associated with the underslot strategy, particularly evidenced by the Mayo signing announced this AM and reports that there should be no drama on the latter.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If Boras wanted 1:1 money, how would Toronto sign him at #5?  One thing is wrong. Either rumors of asking price or consensus of his draft value. JMO

A 3rd scenario is that he's demanding 1:1 money and Toronto took with the idea of either signing him for #5 slot or taking the extra pick next year if he doesn't. 

Or giving him 1-1 money but depleting the pool for the rest of their draft class.  Was Boras Adam Loewen's guy that year we had a similar kind of deal to the deadline's last moment.  

I've read of at least one projection system that in trying to bake pedigree into the cake used Draft Bonus instead of Draft Slot as the variable input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

Or giving him 1-1 money but depleting the pool for the rest of their draft class.  Was Boras Adam Loewen's guy that year we had a similar kind of deal to the deadline's last moment.  

I've read of at least one projection system that in trying to bake pedigree into the cake used Draft Bonus instead of Draft Slot as the variable input.

That's quite interesting. As others have said, it will be interesting to rack and stack the bonuses when everyone is signed at the end of the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This point from Axisa on the CBS one...

Feels like they could've had a very similar draft with the No. 15 pick. 

...I feel is basically incorrect, and demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of pool economics.

Never mind that Kjerstad himself was safely in the Top 10-12 tier, and probably a 50-1 underdog to make it to #15.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

This point from Axisa on the CBS one...

Feels like they could've had a very similar draft with the No. 15 pick. 

...I feel is basically incorrect, and demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of pool economics.

Never mind that Kjerstad himself was safely in the Top 10-12 tier, and probably a 50-1 underdog to make it to #15.

Very well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LTO's said:

FWIW some people don't think Martin has a good enough arm to play CF, SS or 3B. So you are essentially giving full slot value at the second pick to a second baseman. That is not a highly regarded strategy. If he sticks at one of those positions and hits well then we might be looking at a mistake. But, if Kjerstad out slugs him and plays solid OF defense Elias will look like a genius especially if one of the high schoolers make it up here.

Wow, so now we're projecting Kjerstad to be better defensively than Martin? I feel like you're on an island of one with that argument. And I hope the goal is to improve the team not make Elias look like a genius. And yes, they two can be mutually exclusive. The fastest way between two points is a straight line. Martin was that straight line, and Elias opted to take the scenic route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I would have gone lower but I deferred to Tony's take on the last two picks, so I upped the grade to a C.

When you suffer through a miserable season and wind up with a top pick, you expect to get someone considered to be a premium talent.   (And before you point out how many #2s don't work out, I know that, but if you are going to take that point of view there is no point in trying to grade a draft at all.   The poll is here, so if I am going to pick a grade, saying it's all a crapshoot anyway is a complete copout).

Bottom line, we had the #2 pick overall and we didn't get anyone who was in the consensus top 10.   Our top 3 picks do not appear to be complete players.   But we got significant value with our last two picks.

SteveA, my question is whether it is more important to walk away with the second best consensus talent in the draft (understanding afterwards that two other teams passed on him), or to walk away with the first or second amount of aggregate talent in the draft.  (Also, noting that Kjerstad was inside the top 10 of the mock of pretty much every influential analyst.)

Folks may have preferred a draft like the Mets or a couple of other teams that focused on two or three main guys and then took underslot signings.  That strategy is fine.  We will end up with six legitimate prospects with at least five of them receiving $1.5M or more.  I say this because, while we all know about coronavirus and the lost college and high school seasons, the impact of the lack of visibility and stats of these players this spring is enormous.  There are going to be third, fourth and fifth round guys who immediately outperform their draft position.  The analysts on the MLB Network said in one case that the scouts who saw Pete Crowe-Armstrong (drafted 19th overall) and Petey Halpin (drafted 95th overall) said the Halpin was not so far behind.  In this year more so than most any other, I think a strategy of spreading the bonus $ around more prospects is a major hedge in case one particular prospect turns out to not be as good as thought.  

My only issue with the draft is really Westburg though he was legitimately pegged for 25-45.  I think we wanted a couple players as the draft headed toward our pick at 30 and several were popped right before our pick including Miller, Bitsko and Shuster.

I understand the frustration of not getting Martin for some here, but Kjerstad was a top ten guy.  From the end of the first round to the end of the draft, I think we picked up as much overall talent as any one team - and that was the goal.  A for me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree.  But it's not like the consensus of his draft value was totally off....no one (except Elias, of course) had him lower than Kjerstad.  Perhaps rumors of asking price AND consensus of draft value weren't aligned, but not off by a lot.  Off by just enough to let him slide a little to 5th in the draft where he can't really command 1:1 money.  

I'm not so sure about that.  It was reported that KC was talking to Kjerstad the morning of the draft regarding the #4 pick.  KC then passed on Martin when he was surprisingly available to them.  Connecting the dots, KC may well have had Kjerstad higher on their board than Martin.  I'm sure KC would have done their homework on Martin, since it was certainly possible for the Orioles to take Gonzales and Miami to take Lacy, based on numerous reports concerning those teams and players.  I think it is possible that teams that did a lot of work on Martin may have viewed Martin as strictly a 2B in the big leagues and just didn't put him in the top 4 or 5 of the draft.

Heck, playing devils' advocate, it seems possible to me that Toronto hadn't really looked all that deeply into Martin, as much the teams ahead of them may have, since they may have felt it was a foregone conclusion that he would be gone before they were on the clock.  Seems like just about every iteration of mock drafts had Martin either 1, 2, 3, or 4.  Who knows, maybe Kjerstad was the Blue Jays' guy and we blew up their board.  Maybe faced with a decision that had to be made in 5 minutes they just went with the guy that was the internet consensus.  Point is, we really don't know what MLB teams thought of either Kjerstad or Martin, and I think it is fair to say that Toronto probably didn't base their preparations on taking Martin at 1.5. 

Is it possible that Martin turns out to be the best pick of the draft?  Sure!  But just maybe it will turn out being Kjerstad!  Hey, I can dream, can't I?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I would have gone lower but I deferred to Tony's take on the last two picks, so I upped the grade to a C.

When you suffer through a miserable season and wind up with a top pick, you expect to get someone considered to be a premium talent.   (And before you point out how many #2s don't work out, I know that, but if you are going to take that point of view there is no point in trying to grade a draft at all.   The poll is here, so if I am going to pick a grade, saying it's all a crapshoot anyway is a complete copout).

Bottom line, we had the #2 pick overall and we didn't get anyone who was in the consensus top 10.   Our top 3 picks do not appear to be complete players.   But we got significant value with our last two picks.

If we had the number 2 pick in 2009, would you have been saddened that we chose not Dustin Ackley, but Michael Trout?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, weams said:

If we had the number 2 pick in 2009, would you have been saddened that we chose not Dustin Ackley, but Michael Trout?

So you're saying there's a chance Kjerstad becomes the greatest player of all time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Earlier today the Bleacher Report grade was a plain B, so they revised their opinion upward at some point.

They also are very easy graders.   15 teams got B+ or higher.    Sort of defeats the purpose of giving grades.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

So you're saying there's a chance Kjerstad becomes the greatest player of all time?

I'm saying that there is a chance that he has a grander career than Dustin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Wow, so now we're projecting Kjerstad to be better defensively than Martin? I feel like you're on an island of one with that argument. And I hope the goal is to improve the team not make Elias look like a genius. And yes, they two can be mutually exclusive. The fastest way between two points is a straight line. Martin was that straight line, and Elias opted to take the scenic route. 

I actually didn't make that argument at all. Many don't think Martin can play SS or CF. If he is relegated to second base and doesn't generate as much power as Kjerstad they will be very similar in value. It is not even close to out of the realm of possibility that Kjerstad ends up being a much better power hitter than Martin. Martin isn't Bryce Harper or Arod or Strasburg or even a Rutschman. A few pundits said he was the best player in the draft but clearly 4 other teams did not agree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Cobb in his postgame interview was solid and doesn't want to be traded. When told Palmer thinks he could be dealt if he continues to pitch well he had a change of facial expression like he was upset. He thinks their team is real and are in every game and likes it here.  The perfect answer after giving the team  basically nothing so far on his big contract. If he keeps going around 6 innings and giving up 3 runs or less he will be in demand and will be dealt. We have too many young pitchers ready to move up and they will  move his salary the first chance they get to a money team like the Dodgers, Angels or even the Red Sox. 
    • Ben predicts pitches regularly and is very informative. Is Ben on all of the shortened season games? I hope so. He is awesome! I think somehow he is helping the players and coaches. Not illegally just being around. Scott doesn't have much enthusiasm but think he will get better. I think no fans makes him that way. Ben is fantastic and holds things together.  Change is good!
    • I agree with everything said. The cutouts and noise will keep the players from getting bored or falling asleep.
    • Can't say I've been enjoying the commentary. Garceau has the same mispronunciations and inaccuracies as Thorne but without any of the energy and excitement. Ben McDonald just goes on about productive at-bats and bunting like it's 1990. Palmer had a little bit of that too, but he seems to have kept up with the advances in the game more, despite being 20 years older. The one positive is that McDonald identifies the pitches correctly and is pretty good at describing a pitcher's repertoire.
    • Horn blasts arent phony.  There's a group of 10 or 12 real fans who go to a gate of the stadium where they can see a tiny sliver of the field through bars and they sit in lawn chairs and stand on ladders and follow the game and blow horns and do some chants.  They wear masks and say they social distance.  The Phillies even turned on TVs over concession stands in their view so they can watch the game. They call themselves the Phandemic Crew or something like that. Aaron Boone and the Yankees actually complained about them saying the horn blasts were timed with pitches just like fans who try to disturb golfers by making noise just as they swing. Google Phandemic, you'll find articles about the m.
    • I like it.     Thought it was really a fun vibe in Philly.    I like their phony crowd noise too, complete with random horn blasts.    Overall, I think the sound engineers are getting better at what they’re doing with experience.   
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...