Jump to content
hoosiers

Early 2021 Top Draft Prospects

Recommended Posts

https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2021/5/11/2021-mlb-mock-draft-40-zwtc9

This mock has an interesting top 5 with Davis taken first, Watson second, and the O's passing on Lawlar to take Harry Ford.  

"High school catchers selected in the top five are very rare, but Ford offers an explosive, athletic profile with tools that could allow him to stick behind the dish long term, or maybe even second base where Baltimore seems to like him."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2021/5/11/2021-mlb-mock-draft-40-zwtc9

This mock has an interesting top 5 with Davis taken first, Watson second, and the O's passing on Lawlar to take Harry Ford.  

"High school catchers selected in the top five are very rare, but Ford offers an explosive, athletic profile with tools that could allow him to stick behind the dish long term, or maybe even second base where Baltimore seems to like him."

 

Ohh high school second baseman with a top 5 pick. 

Don't see that every day.

Or pretty much ever.

That's a smartest man in the room move there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ohh high school second baseman with a top 5 pick. 

Don't see that every day.

Or pretty much ever.

That's a smartest man in the room move there.

Who did the Red Sox pick last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

With the 17th pick?  Nick Yorke.  Lots of folks didn't care much for the pick.

Or did you mean Blaze Jordan?

I meant the HS second baseman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nick Yorke.

He went 17th.

Red Sox took a lot of heat for picking him there. 

I kinda doubt that affects Chaim's belief in the pick.

The HS catcher who can also play second because of his athleticism certainly wouldn't be my choice and I'll be surprised if Elias goes that route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I kinda doubt that affects Chaim's belief in the pick.

The HS catcher who can also play second because of his athleticism certainly wouldn't be my choice and I'll be surprised if Elias goes that route. 

Didn't say it did.

I'm not sure why you even mentioned him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2021/5/11/2021-mlb-mock-draft-40-zwtc9

This mock has an interesting top 5 with Davis taken first, Watson second, and the O's passing on Lawlar to take Harry Ford.  

"High school catchers selected in the top five are very rare, but Ford offers an explosive, athletic profile with tools that could allow him to stick behind the dish long term, or maybe even second base where Baltimore seems to like him."

 

By the way, in this mock, with the money "saved" by selecting Ford, we are projected to go big in the 2nd with Carson Williams, a prep SS/RHP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hazmat said:

By the way, in this mock, with the money "saved" by selecting Ford, we are projected to go big in the 2nd with Carson Williams, a prep SS/RHP.

They should have learned last year not to assume that.  They lost because Blitsko got drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching a lot of video, I now lean strongly to Henry Davis.  

 

Extremely polished top college bat.   His bat might be close to MLB ready.   I don't care if we already have Rutschman in the system.  You don't draft for need in MLB (other than Pitcher vs Hitter).  We could have great catcher depth in the system, or easily convert Rutschman or Davis to another position as they are both fairly athletic.  

 

My reasoning is many of the other top guys have a few question marks.   It would substantially hurt our rebuild if we miss on this pick, and Davis is extremely 'Safe' in this regard.   

 

Plus imagine a lineup with Mountcastle, Rutschman, Davis, Kjerstad (if healthy) hitting in the middle of it.   Makes for a nice solid middle of order.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DocJJ said:

After watching a lot of video, I now lean strongly to Henry Davis.  

 

Extremely polished top college bat.   His bat might be close to MLB ready.   I don't care if we already have Rutschman in the system.  You don't draft for need in MLB (other than Pitcher vs Hitter).  We could have great catcher depth in the system, or easily convert Rutschman or Davis to another position as they are both fairly athletic.  

 

My reasoning is many of the other top guys have a few question marks.   It would substantially hurt our rebuild if we miss on this pick, and Davis is extremely 'Safe' in this regard.   

 

Plus imagine a lineup with Mountcastle, Rutschman, Davis, Kjerstad (if healthy) hitting in the middle of it.   Makes for a nice solid middle of order.

I agree with you 100%. I watched a lot of Louisville games and his bat is special. Take his bat and figure out the position later. I wouldn’t be shocked if he isn’t top 2 by the time this is finished though.
 

I’d be annoyed if the pick was Ford. I’m not ready to cross that bridge yet though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...