Greg Pappas

Yankees Sign Stealing?!

Pay-walled... here is the beginning part: 

A New York judge ruled on Friday that a letter sent by Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred to the Yankees addressing the findings of a 2017 investigation into the team should be unsealed.

MLB and the Yankees may submit a minimally redacted version of the letter “to protect the identity of the individuals mentioned” by noon ET on Monday, as part of the proceedings in a lawsuit brought against the league by daily fantasy sports contestants in the wake of the sign-stealing scandals in Houston and Boston. The Yankees argue the letter would cause “significant reputational injury,” Judge Jed Rakoff said in his order, and the letter is not to be unsealed until June 19, so the team has enough time to make an emergency appeal. People with knowledge of the case said it is likely the Yankees will do so.

I know Judge Rakoff, who is handling this case.    He was the lawyer for a related party in a case my firm was handling about 25 years ago, and then he was appointed to the bench a couple of years later.    As a judge, he’s definitely not afraid to go out on a limb.   It will be interesting to see if his ruling stands up on appeal.    There’s not enough information in the public part of the article for me to make a good guess.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Now we just need to unseal this article so we know what they’re talking about!

Sorry, wasn't paying attention to the pay-walled section. I edited the OP to reflect that. :)

• Thanks 1

😎

Ive seen this “letter” I’ll paraphrase:

Dear NY Yankees,

This letter is to remind you that MLB remains solidly in your corner.  In the future please remember that if you are breaking rules, it is easier for us to cover you if we are in the loop. 

Your biggest fans

MLB

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, weams said:

I’m not going to get very excited about this.   The lawsuit already was thrown out by Judge Rakoff.    This is simply about whether some document from the case remains sealed.    MLB has pretty strong confidentiality clauses in its charter, which it is seeking to invoke here.    They could have written letters like this to multiple teams over the years.     Wouldn’t surprise me at all.     What made the Astros matter different was (1) Manfred had just issued a warning that this was going to be more severely punished going forward, and then the Astros blatantly violated it anyway, (2) they won the World Series while doing it, and (3) Fiers outed the whole thing publicly, so MLB had no option to deal with it privately.   None of that was true in the Yankee situation.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, foxfield said:

😎

Ive seen this “letter” I’ll paraphrase:

Dear NY Yankees,

This letter is to remind you that MLB remains solidly in your corner.  In the future please remember that if you are breaking rules, it is easier for us to cover you if we are in the loop. 

Your biggest fans

MLB

PS No more All Star Games at Camden Yards. If you can think of any more ways to disadvantage the Orioles we are open to suggestions. Be creative.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m not going to get very excited about this.   The lawsuit already was thrown out by Judge Rakoff.    This is simply about whether some document from the case remains sealed.    MLB has pretty strong confidentiality clauses in its charter, which it is seeking to invoke here.    They could have written letters like this to multiple teams over the years.     Wouldn’t surprise me at all.     What made the Astros matter different was (1) Manfred had just issued a warning that this was going to be more severely punished going forward, and then the Astros blatantly violated it anyway, (2) they won the World Series while doing it, and (3) Fiers outed the whole thing publicly, so MLB had no option to deal with it privately.   None of that was true in the Yankee situation.   

Do you know why Boston received a lesser penalty than Houston?

36 minutes ago, Number5 said:

As I understand it Boston wasn't relaying to the batter unless a runner was on second.  

35 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Probably merchandising!

9 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

As I understand it Boston wasn't relaying to the batter unless a runner was on second.  

Why would that reduce the penalty?  Does a bank robber receive a lesser sentence if he only robs banks on Tuesdays?  Not trying to give you a hard time, I just really don't understand.  Boston is the team that caused the commissioner's warning to the teams in the first place.  Seems to me that their penalty should have been at least what Houston got, if not more.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Why would that reduce the penalty?  Does a bank robber receive a lesser sentence if he only robs banks on Tuesdays?  Not trying to give you a hard time, I just really don't understand.  Boston is the team that caused the commissioner's warning to the teams in the first place.  Seems to me that their penalty should have been at least what Houston got, if not more.

A bank robber who robs one bank is going to get a lesser sentence than  a bank robber who robs ten banks.

Edited by GuidoSarducci

1 minute ago, GuidoSarducci said:

A bank robber who robs one bank is going to get a lesser sentence than  a bank robber who robs ten banks.

OK, and Boston was caught cheating previously.  Hello?