NashLumber

I'm airing a new talk/music/chat show Sun. 6/28

It'll be on my Facebook page (link below) and on YouTube every Sunday. It'll be a half hour. It's how my family band and I have been spending these pandemic months, ie rehearsing, making music, writing it. But that was getting boring since it's always at home and all of our gigs dried up since early March. Our first musical guest will be singer-songwriter-producer Don Dixon (produced R.E.M, Marshall Crenshaw, Smithereens, etc.). We'll have a quick chat with him and see what he's recorded for us at his home. We'll also talk about sports, movies,  books, pets, birds, whatever is the topic that particular week at Secret Monkey Manor (our family band is Secret Monkey Weekend). Our 7th grade daughter is the drummer / co-lead singer, the rising high school senior, her big sister, is on bass. I'm on guitar and vocals. It's sort of a combo Letterman / Tonight Show / Captain Kangaroo / Behind The Music all wrapped into one. 

We had a really nice Father's Day and we covered that in this preview to the debut episode. 

Find it at http://www.youtube.com/secretmonkeyweekend

https://www.facebook.com/SecretMonkeyWeekend/

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wish you much success with the show. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate shaving accident. I've been there before!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Wish you much success with the show. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate shaving accident. I've been there before!

Ha, thanks! Yeah, just poor decision making on my part. 

And thanks about the show, I updated the link. I replaced it with a better edit of the show's preview. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, scOtt said:

Man that's a BEAUTIFUL Tele you played at the end!

Thanks, Scott! It's a replica of one Jimmy Page used to play in the early days of Led Zeppelin. 

tumblr_lxv843ISRK1r26syho1_500.jpg

The foil design under the clear pick guard looks ridiculously psychedelic  under some light situations. This is from our driveway during a concert we played for the neighbors in April (folks standing across the street, socially distanced). 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NashLumber said:

Thanks, Scott! It's a replica of one Jimmy Page used to play in the early days of Led Zeppelin.

I thought it looked familiar! Very cool!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

That guy makes me feel like a praying mantis.

This came up in my YouTube queue this morning. It was his "big" (in indie circles) song back in the mid 80's, but being as big a fan as I was,  I somehow missed this video. 

• Like 2

Episode 2 with guest Tim Smith, a Chapel Hill songwriter- keyboardist who sometimes is the 4th Secret Monkey. His song is about the "Worlds Largest Ball of Twine", something he read in Roadside America in the 80s and he always remembered it. 

Also we have Pt. 3 of our interview with producer Don Dixon where he discuss Tommy Keene, being approached by Nirvana to produce "Nevermind" (he asked for too much money), and some other relevant music biz anecdotes. 

Secret Monkey Weekend play a song by Let's Active, ie "Every Word Means No". Next week,  we have The Veldt as our music guests. 

• Upvote 2

Episode 3 of The Secret Monkey Quarantine Half Hour Show, featuring our guests this week, Daniel & Danny Chavis of The Veldt, a pioneering African-American psychedelia-soul outfit from Raleigh NC. 

Our song to kick off the show was a cover of The Cowsills' "The Rain, The Park & Other Things" culled from video from 2 shows we did just prior to the stay-at-home orders and one from a driveway concert we played for our neighbors as they watched from their yards. 

• Upvote 1

Yesterday's episode, our 4th. Jeffrey Dean Foster was in a celebrated NC band The Right Profile in the mid to late 80s. They were personally signed to Arista by Clive Davis and it all went downhill from there. The record never came out and it took another 10 years until he finally got something on vinyl (and CD) with The Pinetops. His Million Star Hotel and The Arrow CDs from earlier in this millennium are highly praised critically, both nationally and internationally. We were lucky to have him on the show Sunday. Sad Magazine are a band with a similar sound and have two of the best songwriters I personally know, Andrew Snee and Robert Graham. 

The girls and I open the show with our song Half Moons. 

• Upvote 1

Episode 6 from Sunday. My girls and I are taking a break this week to rest a bit. All 6 episodes of the weekly series can be found here

Parthenon Huxley has been a fixture on the indie rock scene since the mid 80s, starting in Chapel Hill NC, now residing in Chevy Chase MD. Then, he was known as Rick Rock and made a few small waves on college radio with "Buddha, Buddha". He was on Columbia Records for one release in the late 80s ("Sunny Nights" LP) and from there went on to several indie labels. His career took an unusual turn in the 90s when some former members of ELO formed a band called The Orchestra and performed the ELO hits around the world. He is still a part of this act when he's not active with his own music. His occasional YouTube series called The Pandemic House Guy is a delight, very witty and was an inspiration for our family band to do our own show.

Most recently, he and I were part of a December 2018 Big Star tribute at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro NC with members of Yo La Tengo, The Posies, The Jayhawks, The dB's, Mike Mills of R.E.M. and Jody Stephens of Big Star. 

On our Secret Monkey Quarantine Half Hour Show, he performs one song and sits for a small Zoom chat with Ella, Lila and me. 

Laura Jane Vincent is a clear-voiced singer-songwriter from the Sandhills of NC. 

Americana mainstays John Howie Jr. and the Rosewood Bluff sent us an animated video of their rendition of The Kinks' "Better Things". And our band, Secret Monkey Weekend, open the show with our own "Candy Station".  Usual segments "I Want My Daddy's Records" is a part of this one as well as Lila's short one-minute film and The Secret Monkey Pledge (Don Dixon does the voice over each week).