Jump to content
weams

MLB Implements 60 Game Season

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I guess this is an example of the many divergent opinions we get through the media, all purporting to be factual.  I read that an airplane is the single worst place to be, with the possible exception of a hospital.  Frankly, that makes a lot more sense to me, on the face of it, than what you've apparently read.  Having a large group of people tightly packed in a small space for hours just seems conducive to spreading of contagion to me, but that certainly isn't my field of expertise.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/is-flying-safe-right-now-coronavirus%3famp
 

This is one of many articles I’ve read that all day basically the same thing: flying is safe as long as you aren’t sitting next to someone with the virus and everyone is wearing a face mask. The risk is greater traveling through the airport. Besides recommending general caution I haven’t seen anything that says it is high risk.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Number5 said:

I don't believe playing the game is any more risky than what they are doing now, but traveling so much probably is.  It seems to me that figuring out a safe way to transport the teams from place to place is a major challenge.

It is a moonshot, but radical scheduling novelty could be fun.  

What if MLB sent all 10 Eastern teams to two cities every 2 weeks, and the 60 regular season games felt kind of like 5 College World Serieses?   BOS/TOR (Buffalo?), then NYM/NYY, then PHI/BAL, then WAS/ATL, then TB/MIA in the East.

I thought about a city/week, but think you need 2 stadiums active to get enough games in.  Probably triple headers in each host city most of the days.  Camden Yards and everywhere else then just needs to covid-execute 14 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This comment is not intended to be political, but the problem that we have now, in the trailing days of June, is that in March, March 11, I think it was, when things started shutting down, we did not Close tightly enough. I confess that I was one of those who thought the reaction was over done, but At least I realized quickly that I was wrong.

However, we have opened up too much too soon, and everything is going to happen again, and again. I do not know what the Las Vegas odds are on Completing whatever season we start, but I doubt they are very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Number5 said:

I guess this is an example of the many divergent opinions we get through the media, all purporting to be factual.  I read that an airplane is the single worst place to be, with the possible exception of a hospital.  Frankly, that makes a lot more sense to me, on the face of it, than what you've apparently read.  Having a large group of people tightly packed in a small space for hours just seems conducive to spreading of contagion to me, but that certainly isn't my field of expertise.

Funny, I read the exact opposite that a commercial airplane circulates and filters the air every two minutes and that an airplane is pretty safe place to be.  But that going through the airport is where you have to worry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is  a surefire way to get through the season.  Don't do any testing if someone feels sick tell them to stay away for a week.  If they test and players are traveling all over the country they are going to have widespread issues of guys getting infected. However most of the guys won't show any symptoms as they are young and healthy. If you test for it you are going to find it.  Do you think guys are going to stay in their hotel rooms on the road when there are bars open? I highly doubt it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, survivedc said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/is-flying-safe-right-now-coronavirus%3famp
 

This is one of many articles I’ve read that all day basically the same thing: flying is safe as long as you aren’t sitting next to someone with the virus and everyone is wearing a face mask. The risk is greater traveling through the airport. Besides recommending general caution I haven’t seen anything that says it is high risk.

The problem of sitting next to a person who is infected is obvious, but the question is whether the filters in the plane are adequate for filtering out any dangerous particulate matter.

If that is reliably safe, then of course flying would be safe.

its moot for me because my wife won’t let me fly anyway, haha.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Philip said:

The problem of sitting next to a person who is infected is obvious, but the question is whether the filters in the plane are adequate for filtering out any dangerous particulate matter.

If that is reliably safe, then of course flying would be safe.

its moot for me because my wife won’t let me fly anyway, haha.

I was going to fly this week but cancelled at the last minute.  I was going to go to Texas and it seemed to really take off there.  So I didn't want to be the super spreader who brought it back to Maryland. I wasn't worried so much about the airplane as I could wear an N95 mask for a few hours. But if the whole state is infected seemed like a selfish move on my part. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure which is more likely, no season at all or they get a handful of games before extended disaster.  I just don't understand how this benefits anyone except cutting into losses for tv providers and ownership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, murph said:

So freaking irritated that they wasted a month bickering.  They could be STARTING regular season games July 1st.   I'll watch because I love baseball.  But the disrespect to us fans is grotesque.  

 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

No other team sports have started yet. NWSL is to start on Saturday but one team has withdrawn because their team is infected with covid.  Better to start later and not have to shutdown.

I agree with this.    I don’t really think the season should have started yet.    Hopefully by the time they get organized, medical conditions will be better than they are right now.   I really don’t want to see them start up and then need to shut down again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Not sure which is more likely, no season at all or they get a handful of games before extended disaster.  I just don't understand how this benefits anyone except cutting into losses for tv providers and ownership.

 I don’t have cable, so it’s completely irrelevant for me, but with the cable subscriber have to sign up for the season separately? And if so, would there be any kind of refund for a canceled season? 

 Oh, do I miss the olden days, where there were three networks, and every Saturday two of them would have baseball and one of them would have golf, and we got to watch “this week in baseball“

And we also got to watch those wonderful Miller light commercial… “Tastes great… Less filling!”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Philip said:

 I don’t have cable, so it’s completely irrelevant for me, but with the cable subscriber have to sign up for the season separately? And if so, would there be any kind of refund for a canceled season? 

 Oh, do I miss the olden days, where there were three networks, and every Saturday two of them would have baseball and one of them would have golf, and we got to watch “this week in baseball“

And we also got to watch those wonderful Miller light commercial… “Tastes great… Less filling!”

Lets just say nobody is buying or placing Ads for the 8th showing of an old milestone or playoff game, or worse a video game stream.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Lets just say nobody is buying or placing Ads for the 8th showing of an old milestone or playoff game, or worse a video game stream.   

You can make a living streaming video games. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

 

I agree with this.    I don’t really think the season should have started yet.    Hopefully by the time they get organized, medical conditions will be better than they are right now.   I really don’t want to see them start up and then need to shut down again.  

If the reason they are not playing yet was health concerns I would agree completely.   I don't want it shut down either (might happen regardless of the start date), but that mess of a negotiation between the owners and players was just awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can make a living streaming video games. 

Understood but like SNY and YES arent beginning to break even. I dont know what MASN shows or how they are doing.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, murph said:

If the reason they are not playing yet was health concerns I would agree completely.   I don't want it shut down either (might happen regardless of the start date), but that mess of a negotiation between the owners and players was just awful.

I certainly agree that the negotiation has been tortuous.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...