Jump to content
SteveA

Some things that will make this season interesting

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They're in a similar spot to the 2010 Orioles.  A seemingly long way to go to relevance, and it's been a very long time since they were any good. 

Hmmm....Buck was Jeter's manager for his first cup of coffee in '95.  The Marlins are kind of loading up the farm with their flavor of toolsy guys.  He missed the plum Astros job Dusty got, but maybe here is another last best chance to helm a roster gearing towards Win Now in a couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing we'll see the schedule this week since the Opening Day tease is a day old now.  I hope our 58/59/60 is one of NYY/TB/BOS - fair chance for some Andino-ish stuff to be possible there, perhaps even executed by interesting personnel getting cups of coffee.

Suppose even WAS a longshot as interleague play a daily necessity, to excite MASN rivalry diehards.

In a weird year, it actually could be kind of fun to make 58/59/60 the hottest batch of NYY/NYM, CHC/CWS, LAD/LAA type stuff that could be concocted.  You have to think 12-15 teams will be alive for the 10 slots the final three days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Tanking to me is perhaps the most overblown topic in baseball. It’s being driven by the players union and the media. Apparently teams like the Orioles would be more competitive signing at best middle and lower level FA’s to contracts. Few talented players make their way into FA anymore with the aging curve of the sport and the top FA’s are being sought after by the good teams.

The thing is if Hanser Alberto signs for $7M last year the Orioles in some people’s minds would get credit for that. Instead they bring him in as a AAAA player and he has a nice season. It’s not about the productivity of the player it’s about how much money he is making.  

Whether or not it matters to you, if you look at the attendance numbers there seems to be a pretty direct correlation between falling attendance and falling W/L record. 
Fans want to watch good games. Sure it’s nice to have a laugher but there are more eyeballs on games with quality teams and quality players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, survivedc said:

Whether or not it matters to you, if you look at the attendance numbers there seems to be a pretty direct correlation between falling attendance and falling W/L record. 
Fans want to watch good games. Sure it’s nice to have a laugher but there are more eyeballs on games with quality teams and quality players.

In 2018 with Adam Jones and half a year of Manny, Schoop, Gausma, Britton etc, what was the attendance? They weren’t tanking in 2018, the season tanked.

I’m not arguing fans don’t like to see better players but if you are going to win it isn’t going to be with older players past their prime which is what is exactly what is available for the most part in FA. 

The next good teams built by the teams that are bad teams will not be built around a core of FA’s.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I'm guessing we'll see the schedule this week since the Opening Day tease is a day old now.  I hope our 58/59/60 is one of NYY/TB/BOS - fair chance for some Andino-ish stuff to be possible there, perhaps even executed by interesting personnel getting cups of coffee.

Suppose even WAS a longshot as interleague play a daily necessity, to excite MASN rivalry diehards.

In a weird year, it actually could be kind of fun to make 58/59/60 the hottest batch of NYY/NYM, CHC/CWS, LAD/LAA type stuff that could be concocted.  You have to think 12-15 teams will be alive for the 10 slots the final three days.

They can actually for once try and set up the schedule for Opening Day buzz. Of course the Orioles right now will create no buzz. We know they are playing one of 7 teams. Can’t be themselves, NYY or Washington.  

Really curious how they set up these schedules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eddie83 said:

In 2018 with Adam Jones and half a year of Manny, Schoop, Gausma, Britton etc, what was the attendance? They weren’t tanking in 2018, the season tanked.

I’m not arguing fans don’t like to see better players but if you are going to win it isn’t going to be with older players past their prime which is what is exactly what is available for the most part in FA. 

The next good teams built by the teams that are bad teams will not be built around a core of FA’s.  

Let's see what the next CBA ends up with as far as free agency rules and other compensation.  I think most people agree that the current system where a 30-year-old veteran who hits .280-25-80 can get paid $18M a year, while a 24-year-old who hits .280-25-80 gets paid $550k is kind of messed up.  Not only is it not fair to young guys, it means that a fair number of veterans get offered token contracts because there's just no reason to pay $18M for something you can get for under $1M, even if the younger guy isn't quite as good.

In a world where everything is scrapped and a new system put in its place there would be some advantage for being a proven, experienced player instead of someone who got hot for three months.  But not 30 times the salary.  If they fix that, or even take steps to fixing that, there will be less of a penalty for signing free agents.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 7:22 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's see what the next CBA ends up with as far as free agency rules and other compensation.  I think most people agree that the current system where a 30-year-old veteran who hits .280-25-80 can get paid $18M a year, while a 24-year-old who hits .280-25-80 gets paid $550k is kind of messed up.  Not only is it not fair to young guys, it means that a fair number of veterans get offered token contracts because there's just no reason to pay $18M for something you can get for under $1M, even if the younger guy isn't quite as good.

In a world where everything is scrapped and a new system put in its place there would be some advantage for being a proven, experienced player instead of someone who got hot for three months.  But not 30 times the salary.  If they fix that, or even take steps to fixing that, there will be less of a penalty for signing free agents.

Certainly things need to change. The whole sport needs to undergo major financial adjustments. 

I just get really frustrated with the whining about tanking. Heck years ago teams tried to save money on the draft for crying out loud. Think that is why Wieters got to us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Certainly things need to change. The whole sport needs to undergo major financial adjustments. 

I just get really frustrated with the whining about tanking. Heck years ago teams tried to save money on the draft for crying out loud. Think that is why Wieters got to us.  

It's why the O's picked Markakis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's why the O's picked Markakis.

Who was the highest rated player when we took him? I honestly don’t recall that draft as much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eddie83 said:

Who was the highest rated player when we took him? I honestly don’t recall that draft as much. 

I don't recall but Markakis was a signability pick.  Of course in this case it got the team the best player in the draft.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall but Markakis was a signability pick.  Of course in this case it got the team the best player in the draft.

 

Remember, the Os were one of the few teams who viewed Nick as a hitter and not a pitcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sports Guy said:

Remember, the Os were one of the few teams who viewed Nick as a hitter and not a pitcher.

I never forgot.  What does that have to do with anything? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I never forgot.  What does that have to do with anything? 

Highlighting the idea that the Orioles' choices were idiosyncratic and probably driven by cost as much as signing the best player available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Highlighting the idea that the Orioles' choices were idiosyncratic and probably driven by cost as much as signing the best player available.

The cost driven part was the exact point I was making. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall but Markakis was a signability pick.  Of course in this case it got the team the best player in the draft.

 

The best player drafted in the first round.  Ian Kinsler (55 rWAR) was drafted in the 9th round that year.    (And technically, Max Scherzer was drafted in the 43rd round, though he didn’t sign.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Bundy is a decent comp, but he's been able to log innings at a consistent rate since his Tommy John.  Harvey seemingly can't go 10 innings without having tightness in his arm or something and having to be shut down.  He had to be shut down last year, he had to be shut down this year.  I'm too lazy to look up his entire injury history but I don't have any confidence that he can throw a lot of innings out of the bullpen without having issues.   But Bundy's arm isn't Harvey's arm.  They're two separate entities and should be treated as such.  Comping injury probability is tricky because everyone has different DNA, everyone has different issues.  
    • So you think a platoon of Valaika (-0.1 rWAR this year, -0.6 rWAR last year) and Wilkerson (-1.0 rWAR last year and taken off the 40-man roster this year) would outperform Alberto (0.4 rWAR this year, 2.9 rWAR last year)?     I recognize they might improve their numbers in a platoon situation, but I don’t think it’s very likely they would increase them by enough to outperform Alberto, and of course you’d have to use two roster spots to do it.    As to finding someone better on the waiver wire or a cheap purchase, I asked who you wanted and don’t have an answer.     What this comes down to is you don’t think Alberto is as good as his WAR figures say he is, because he’s had bad splits vs. RHP the last two years.    We simply disagree about that.    I think the numbers have been a fair reflection of Alberto’s value.    I’d peg him as a 1-2 WAR player for next year, and at $3 mm, that’s not bad.    As to Bannon (also mentioned by SG and Philip), I am interested in him long term but he’s had very little AAA experience (20 games), struggled in the AFL last fall and wasn’t given a 60-man roster spot this year so I doubt the team is ready to roll the dice on him     It’s a shame the minor league season wasn’t played, because if it had he’d either be in the majors right now or at least we’d know more about whether we could pencil him in for 2021.
    • He hasn't. That doesn't mean he can't. No point in being doom and gloom about it. Look at Bundy. He was never what he once was but he has gone on to a productive career. There is all the more reason to think that could be the case with Harvey due to the freakish and unrelated nature of several of the injuries. 
    • Agreed. Ruiz isn't good enough though, so I'd move Alberto to 3B and sign Schoop (or someone similar) to play 2B.
    • Sums it up perfectly. As tantalizing as he is, as good as his stuff is, I really don't see the need to keep giving him chances.  And I'm sure that the trade value is low, it's not like we're the only ones who understand what's going on with him but we need guys that can stay healthy.  Unfortunately, he can't.
    • I didn’t see it but I like that he threw 72% of his pitches for strikes and that he had a swingstr% over 20%.
    • I have no idea what he looks like defensively but offensively, his numbers seem to be fine...at least enough to give him a chance while waiting on a guy like Vavra. Alberto isn’t a guy I care if he’s here or not.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...