Sir_Loin

Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

8 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

It is difficult to post with someone who has already said they can't be convinced of changing their opinion.  I certainly understand those who had a large preference for the Os to simply select Martin and move on down the line.  I was comfortable with that line of thinking and posted such before the draft, but I have little issue with our GM going in the direction he did.  A couple things to note:

- it appears highly likely that Martin will receive less $ from the Jays than he/Boras requested from the Os.  This isn't right and IMO is an indication that Boras failed to get his client the most $ possible.  

- Kjerstad outhit both Martin and Torkelson on the collegiate national team.

- Elias has said that he thought Kjerstad was on his way to a monster season given the improved BB and K ratios.  Elias said the Os did research on whether college juniors with improved BB and K ratios in the first portion of the season were likely to carry that improvement through the balance of the season - the answer to that research would appear to be that such improvement is sustained throughout the year.

- teams viewed the shortened college season in different ways.  It appears that the Os projected out the remainder of the unplayed 2020 college season and used that 2020 projection as a key factor in how players were ranked.  

Great post. I wish I had written it!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

I have no doubt that if the O's had taken Martin with the #2 pick Boras would hold out for #1 pick money of 8.4m.  Then the O's would have been in a similar situation as the Blue Jays are facing.

The O's had more than 4M more in their pool than the Jays.

1 minute ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Honestly I'm more excited about Kjerstad than I am with Rutschman at this point.

That new prospect smell.  He hasn't disappointed us yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That new prospect smell.  He hasn't disappointed us yet.

Hahahahaha the ‘new prospect smell” 😂

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Martin goes back to Vandy and we take him #1 next year and get him for under slot.

If the O's have the #1 pick next year they would take Rocker IMO.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Honestly I'm more excited about Kjerstad than I am with Rutschman at this point.

I am not.    I’m excited about both, but much more about Rutschman.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If the O's have the #1 pick next year they would take Rocker IMO.

At this time last year I think many thought Hancock would go number one.  Way too early to even talk about.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

At this time last year I thinkany thought Hancock would go number one.  Way too early to even talk about.

*Taps head*

If they don't play any games his stock can't drop.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Martin went #5 so apparently the O's were not the only team who pass on signing him for #1 money.

This has been said many times in this thread and answered as many.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If he doesn't sign does it change your mind at all?

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Or he did it to play the overslot game later which is closer to reality as it’s really happening. But believe whatever you want ....you have no chance of convincing me on your theory and more than I do with you pointing out the facts that Kjerstad is signing for less than slot and the money was used to overpay a couple of HS prospects that had been promised scholarships and had leverage.

Yes, he played the overslot game.  Without question.   That does not mean that, in his mind, he passed on a vastly superior prospect to take a significantly more inferior prospect in order to do it.  You believe he has.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

It's been said by 100 different people BUT only "answered" by you....