Jump to content
Sir_Loin

Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he doesn't sign does it change your mind at all?

I think the chances of him signing this year will hinge on being on the roster. Probably the same for some other unsigned Picks. If they are not going to play this summer and have an option to go back to college. 
 

To answer your question, I’m interested in the team taking the BPA....Period. They didn’t do that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think the chances of him signing this year will hinge on being on the roster. Probably the same for some other unsigned Picks. If they are not going to play this summer and have an option to go back to college. 
 

To answer your question, I’m interested in the team taking the BPA....Period. They didn’t do that!

What is the point of taking the bpa if he doesn't sign?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What is the point of taking the bpa if he doesn't sign?

I think he will sign and think he would’ve signed here. Did he want top dollar? Sure....You don’t hire Boras for any other reason. Martin was thought of as the best player in the draft by some outlets.

Look....I’m going to stop posting about this. I’m sick of the discussion. I’m not dug in on my position anymore than the handful of guys that have replied over and over. My position just isn’t popular in the Elias love fest circle.

and now this troll MGH5208 is throwing around the negative rep. Which is interesting since he reps more than he posts. And I’ve been through it with him before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Got it

But, you were ripping Baseball America’s rating at #16 and most if not all agreed that he had the best hit tool in the draft. A 70 ranking is pretty awesome and Martin will likely be a PerenniaL .300 Hitter with a high OBP and modest strikeout rates. Many were also suggesting increase power, 20ish if I’m not mistaken due to the loft trajectory.

 

19 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

You think that’s the LIKELY outcome?

I would think there’s a better chance that he’s Richie Martin 2.0.  Most prospects fail. 

How about some middle ground here, guys?    Pretty much nobody is “likely” to be a perennial .300 hitter.     At the same time, Martin is way more highly regarded as a hitting prospect than Richie Martin ever was.    I like Austin Martin’s chances to be an above average hitter for average, with decent power and the ability to play an up the middle position defensively.    Think Lou Whitaker as an optimistic comp, but maybe with defense a notch down from that level.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on this were explained in the Amateur Draft forum, but I'll say this here: It doesn't matter what I, you, or anyone else would have done differently... what matters is that Kjerstad and the other draftees ARE Orioles prospects and we need to focus on rooting for them moving forward. Assessing their talents at this juncture is not really easy with their seasons cut woefully short. Yet, we can hope that 1) our staff gets the best these young men have to offer and 2) a couple of them turn out to be quality contributors for us down the road. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

 

How about some middle ground here, guys?    Pretty much nobody is “likely” to be a perennial .300 hitter.     At the same time, Martin is way more highly regarded as a hitting prospect than Richie Martin ever was.    I like Austin Martin’s chances to be an above average hitter for average, with decent power and the ability to play an up the middle position defensively.    Think Lou Whitaker as an optimistic comp, but maybe with defense a notch down from that level.    

At this point, It is what it is and only time will tell. But, I will feel no differently about the move if Martin ends up a Lou Whitaker. He was a pretty good player as I remember. The important part will be what Kjerstad ends up being.

what is your comp for Kjerstad? Something like Jeremy Burnitz? If that ends up being the case would you be happy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

At this point, It is what it is and only time will tell. But, I will feel no differently about the move if Martin ends up a Lou Whitaker. He was a pretty good player as I remember. The important part will be what Kjerstad ends up being.

what is your comp for Kjerstad? Something like Jeremy Burnitz? If that ends up being the case would you be happy? 

I'm really starting to think you're approaching this discussion in bad faith.

Definitely fair/reasonable to pick a 20 rWAR guy as the HK comp in response to someone throwing out a 75 rWAR guy as a general AM comp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

At this point, It is what it is and only time will tell. But, I will feel no differently about the move if Martin ends up a Lou Whitaker. He was a pretty good player as I remember. The important part will be what Kjerstad ends up being.

what is your comp for Kjerstad? Something like Jeremy Burnitz? If that ends up being the case would you be happy? 

First of all, Jeremy Burnitz is not a terrible comp for Kjerstad.    He was a 19.9 rWAR player, which makes him better (by that measure) than all but 14 no. 2 picks.    So, a Burnitz-type career wouldn’t be a bad outcome for Kjerstad.     But I wouldn’t say it would make me happy, if Martin turned out to be a slightly worse Lou Whitaker (75.1 rWAR).    Of course, it would depend somewhat on what Mayo and Baumler turn out to be, but they probably couldn’t make up that big of a difference.   

(By the way, Whitaker’s 75.1 rWAR is higher than any no. 2 pick ever, so certainly not a likely outcome.)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm really starting to think you're approaching this discussion in bad faith.

Definitely fair/reasonable to pick a 20 rWAR guy as the HK comp in response to someone throwing out a 75 rWAR guy as a general AM comp.

I didn’t take it as bad faith.   Certainly, Whitaker would be a more optimistic comp for Martin than Burnitz is for Kjerstad.    They’re both on the optimistic side, but Martin more so.    And I did suggest Martin’s defense would be down a notch from Whitaker’s in any event.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kjerstad's coach head coach says he is right  there with Andrew Benintendi.

A #2 pick should be a cornerstone player for a building franchise.  I don't think of Benintendi or Burnitz as cornerstone franchise players.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kjerstad's coach head coach says he is right  there with Andrew Benintendi.

A #2 pick should be a cornerstone player for a building franchise.  I don't think of Benintendi or Burnitz as cornerstone franchise players.   

Benintendi was another stud Razorbacks OF who was taken with the 7th overall pick, hence the comparison from the Arkansas head coach. He's also been worth 10 wins before his age-25 season, which is a pretty darn good outcome

What would you think if the Vandy coach said Martin is right there with Dansby Swanson?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Benintendi was another stud Razorbacks OF who was taken with the 7th overall pick, hence the comparison from the Arkansas head coach. He's also been worth 10 wins before his age-25 season, which is a pretty darn good outcome

What would you think if the Vandy coach said Martin is right there with Dansby Swanson?

The Vandy coach has not and I don't think would say that.   He does not promote Martin as a SS.    2B or maybe a CF but not a SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Benintendi was another stud Razorbacks OF who was taken with the 7th overall pick, hence the comparison from the Arkansas head coach. He's also been worth 10 wins before his age-25 season, which is a pretty darn good outcome

What would you think if the Vandy coach said Martin is right there with Dansby Swanson?

What if he compared him to Willie Mays?

I think it's a sign that there is nothing left to be said in this thread and no point to be made that hasn't been made a dozen times, that it has come down to making up quotes and saying how would you react to that made up quote if it was real.

It's been a long time since I've seen a deceased equine take such a thorough pounding around here.

At least it shows we still care 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 108 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Could have been the TUE but he chewed tobacco as a simulant in his good years.  He would come to the plate looking wired.  They banned the tobacco about the time he stopped  hitting.    He does not look wired any more and has not for a long time.   The TUE was to help him focus.  I think the tobacco enhanced that.  Also age has eroded the reflexes at this point.   Its a shame what has happened to him.  I think he is a really good person. As far as him retiring and walking away from the money.  Would you?
    • So, if this is true, what does it mean for the O's?   Adley has not played a day at AA or AAA.  Does he begin the season at one of those levels and get moved up after a couple of months?   If that is true do they non tender Severino and being the season with cheaper players like Sisco and Wynns?   Wynns is out of options so he will have to go through  waivers if he is sent down.   Maybe that is why Wynns is still on the 40 man roster. What does that do to the catching depth?   O's have signed Taylor Davis to a AAA minor league contract.   When the Rutschman era is ready to begin, I think that means that other talented players get promoted faster.  Diaz was reported to be close to ready for the major last summer.   He may spend a few days at AAA but if he has a good spring camp and looks good he will probably be up to the majors before very long.  All the more reason to make room on the 26 man roster by DFAing Nunez. If Rutschman is in the majors the O's will not want to rush GrayRod and DL Hall but they will want promote them up levels as soon as they think they are ready.  I think the slow rounding is over when Rutschman arrives.  It will be time to play the core team together as soon as they can.  
    • Came to post this. Heard just the first four bars of guitar in a completely unrelated video. Dug DEEP down in my brain and drug this out.  
    • I had a recommendation of Diamond Head! Just today. Still got it in a TODO tab...  
    • Gee whiz!  So much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over DFA'ing of a journeyman (at best) DH.  
    • This isn't the same argument or it isn't to me.  But I think if the Orioles throw Nunez away because they don't want or can't afford to spend 2 MILLION dollars, then I agree with you.  I just think it is much more likely that he is a fair DH but not much else and the O's have several other guys that are going to be getting those DH ab's.   I worry more about him taking a step forward to another level.  I also believe that if Elias shared my view he would be on the team because 2 mil would be cheap.  The team dropped 3.5 mil on Iglesias.   I think they will spend, but I think they will also look for ways to eliminate redundancy.  
    • From Baseball America 19 MLB Prospects Who Impressed Scouts At Instructional League In 2020. Adley Rutschman, C, Orioles Rutschman refined his swing at the alternate site over the summer and showed off the finished product in instructs. He showed the ability to hit for power, hit for average and played at least above-average defense behind the plate. Beyond his tools, Rutschman’s polish stood out prominently—evaluators opined he was not only ready for the major leagues, but that he would be one of MLB’s best catchers immediately.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...