Sir_Loin

Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he doesn't sign does it change your mind at all?

I think the chances of him signing this year will hinge on being on the roster. Probably the same for some other unsigned Picks. If they are not going to play this summer and have an option to go back to college. 

To answer your question, I’m interested in the team taking the BPA....Period. They didn’t do that!

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think the chances of him signing this year will hinge on being on the roster. Probably the same for some other unsigned Picks. If they are not going to play this summer and have an option to go back to college. 

To answer your question, I’m interested in the team taking the BPA....Period. They didn’t do that!

What is the point of taking the bpa if he doesn't sign?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What is the point of taking the bpa if he doesn't sign?

I think he will sign and think he would’ve signed here. Did he want top dollar? Sure....You don’t hire Boras for any other reason. Martin was thought of as the best player in the draft by some outlets.

Look....I’m going to stop posting about this. I’m sick of the discussion. I’m not dug in on my position anymore than the handful of guys that have replied over and over. My position just isn’t popular in the Elias love fest circle.

and now this troll MGH5208 is throwing around the negative rep. Which is interesting since he reps more than he posts. And I’ve been through it with him before. 

19 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Got it

But, you were ripping Baseball America’s rating at #16 and most if not all agreed that he had the best hit tool in the draft. A 70 ranking is pretty awesome and Martin will likely be a PerenniaL .300 Hitter with a high OBP and modest strikeout rates. Many were also suggesting increase power, 20ish if I’m not mistaken due to the loft trajectory.

19 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

You think that’s the LIKELY outcome?

I would think there’s a better chance that he’s Richie Martin 2.0.  Most prospects fail. 

How about some middle ground here, guys?    Pretty much nobody is “likely” to be a perennial .300 hitter.     At the same time, Martin is way more highly regarded as a hitting prospect than Richie Martin ever was.    I like Austin Martin’s chances to be an above average hitter for average, with decent power and the ability to play an up the middle position defensively.    Think Lou Whitaker as an optimistic comp, but maybe with defense a notch down from that level.    

• Upvote 1

My thoughts on this were explained in the Amateur Draft forum, but I'll say this here: It doesn't matter what I, you, or anyone else would have done differently... what matters is that Kjerstad and the other draftees ARE Orioles prospects and we need to focus on rooting for them moving forward. Assessing their talents at this juncture is not really easy with their seasons cut woefully short. Yet, we can hope that 1) our staff gets the best these young men have to offer and 2) a couple of them turn out to be quality contributors for us down the road. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How about some middle ground here, guys?    Pretty much nobody is “likely” to be a perennial .300 hitter.     At the same time, Martin is way more highly regarded as a hitting prospect than Richie Martin ever was.    I like Austin Martin’s chances to be an above average hitter for average, with decent power and the ability to play an up the middle position defensively.    Think Lou Whitaker as an optimistic comp, but maybe with defense a notch down from that level.    

At this point, It is what it is and only time will tell. But, I will feel no differently about the move if Martin ends up a Lou Whitaker. He was a pretty good player as I remember. The important part will be what Kjerstad ends up being.

what is your comp for Kjerstad? Something like Jeremy Burnitz? If that ends up being the case would you be happy? 

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

At this point, It is what it is and only time will tell. But, I will feel no differently about the move if Martin ends up a Lou Whitaker. He was a pretty good player as I remember. The important part will be what Kjerstad ends up being.

what is your comp for Kjerstad? Something like Jeremy Burnitz? If that ends up being the case would you be happy? 

I'm really starting to think you're approaching this discussion in bad faith.

Definitely fair/reasonable to pick a 20 rWAR guy as the HK comp in response to someone throwing out a 75 rWAR guy as a general AM comp.

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

First of all, Jeremy Burnitz is not a terrible comp for Kjerstad.    He was a 19.9 rWAR player, which makes him better (by that measure) than all but 14 no. 2 picks.    So, a Burnitz-type career wouldn’t be a bad outcome for Kjerstad.     But I wouldn’t say it would make me happy, if Martin turned out to be a slightly worse Lou Whitaker (75.1 rWAR).    Of course, it would depend somewhat on what Mayo and Baumler turn out to be, but they probably couldn’t make up that big of a difference.   

(By the way, Whitaker’s 75.1 rWAR is higher than any no. 2 pick ever, so certainly not a likely outcome.)

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm really starting to think you're approaching this discussion in bad faith.

Definitely fair/reasonable to pick a 20 rWAR guy as the HK comp in response to someone throwing out a 75 rWAR guy as a general AM comp.

I didn’t take it as bad faith.   Certainly, Whitaker would be a more optimistic comp for Martin than Burnitz is for Kjerstad.    They’re both on the optimistic side, but Martin more so.    And I did suggest Martin’s defense would be down a notch from Whitaker’s in any event.  

• Upvote 1

Kjerstad's coach head coach says he is right  there with Andrew Benintendi.

A #2 pick should be a cornerstone player for a building franchise.  I don't think of Benintendi or Burnitz as cornerstone franchise players.   

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kjerstad's coach head coach says he is right  there with Andrew Benintendi.

A #2 pick should be a cornerstone player for a building franchise.  I don't think of Benintendi or Burnitz as cornerstone franchise players.   

Benintendi was another stud Razorbacks OF who was taken with the 7th overall pick, hence the comparison from the Arkansas head coach. He's also been worth 10 wins before his age-25 season, which is a pretty darn good outcome

What would you think if the Vandy coach said Martin is right there with Dansby Swanson?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Benintendi was another stud Razorbacks OF who was taken with the 7th overall pick, hence the comparison from the Arkansas head coach. He's also been worth 10 wins before his age-25 season, which is a pretty darn good outcome

What would you think if the Vandy coach said Martin is right there with Dansby Swanson?

The Vandy coach has not and I don't think would say that.   He does not promote Martin as a SS.    2B or maybe a CF but not a SS.

29 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

What if he compared him to Willie Mays?

I think it's a sign that there is nothing left to be said in this thread and no point to be made that hasn't been made a dozen times, that it has come down to making up quotes and saying how would you react to that made up quote if it was real.

It's been a long time since I've seen a deceased equine take such a thorough pounding around here.

At least it shows we still care 

• Upvote 1