Sir_Loin

Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

5 hours ago, weams said:

However, Richard Justice does not run the Orioles.  Mike Elias does and he does not rush core prospects.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

However, Richard Justice does not run the Orioles.  Mike Elias does and he does not rush core prospects.

I'm not sure you know what the word rush means.

If he's "ready for the big leagues right now" then bringing him up this year wouldn't be rushing him.

As example of rushing a core prospect would be what Dan did to Gausman.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure you know what the word rush means.

If he's "ready for the big leagues right now" then bringing him up this year wouldn't be rushing him.

As example of rushing a core prospect would be what Dan did to Gausman.

What does what Dan did for a contending team had to do with what Elias does for a rebuilding team?

Kjerstad starts 2021 in Delmarva or Frederick.   Rutschman has not touched as high as Frederick yet.  Hard to see him jumping to the Majors to start 2021.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What does what Dan did for a contending team had to do with what Elias does for a rebuilding team?

Kjerstad starts 2021 in Delmarva or Frederick.   Rutschman has not touched as high as Frederick yet.  Hard to see him jumping to the Majors to start 2021.

I was trying to help you understand what the word rush means.  Obviously you don't understand the term.

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was trying to help you understand what the word rush means.  Obviously you don't understand the term.

Silly statement IMO.

Promoting Kjerstad and Rutschman to the majors to begin 2021 is the opposite of what Elias as been doing to date.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Silly statement IMO.

What's a silly statement?

The idea that you don't understand what the word rush means?

You've shown that you don't, at least not in this context.

It's really very very simple.

If someone is ready to play in the major leagues he is not being rushed if he's promoted to the majors.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If everyone agreed here it would be a very boring place. 

Is not changing my mind or position winning? If so I guess that would make you right. I really don’t agree with your perception of my need to win. Besides when it comes to prospects we won’t know the answer for years on winner/loser of this discussion. But, I will probably still be here and willing to admit that I got it wrong. Sadly, it’s doubtful 60 games will be enough to determine whether Villar is closer to the guy from the second half of last year and whether it was the right decision to sent him packing. 

I wonder since you are engaging me.... about a year ago on Villar you went through 2-3 threads and negative rep’d 10-12 of my consecutive posts regardless of what I said. 

Im certain @weams will confirm the validity my claim

You’ve been a member since late 2004 and have a whopping 284 posts. I’m rounding up when I say that amounts to about 2 per month. But you have given out that much rep since Sunday. It seems like you enjoy passing judgement, no?

Personally, I’d like to see you make more of a contribution to the forum and less with the rep button! Just my two cents 

WOW! I find this post a little weird. But I will respond. I have no idea what I did or didn't do on a message board a year ago. I don't know how to go back and look at it nor do I want to spend the time to figure it out. But I'll take your word for it. Not sure what it means.

But in this case I posted something about BA ranking Martin at 16th and stated my opinion that it was too high and that BA has historically been stubborn to admit when they had over/under ranked draftees/prospects (not specifically Martin). Then you came at me with the opening line of "This is just flawed logic." as if you get to decide what is logical.... you don't. You have opinions and I have opinions.

Yes, I have been a member since 2004 and yes, my counter is currently at 284.... SO WHAT! I could have thousands of posts if I wanted to repeat my OPINIONS over and over and over and over... I have actually many more posts than that but I have lived through several resets that took my count back to zero. There are long periods of time when I have not had the time to engage on this board. That doesn't lessen my knowledge or interest. Ironically, I would engage more but for the folks who aggressively jump on posters like they just pooped in their yard or something. Just my two cents!

I have a solid reputation on this board with zero warnings and a decent amount of rep points for my meager 284 posts.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

That's bold. Not saying he's wrong. But that's an interesting take.

I enjoyed it.   Would be exciting if true.  

24 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

WOW! I find this post a little weird. But I will respond. I have no idea what I did or didn't do on a message board a year ago. I don't know how to go back and look at it nor do I want to spend the time to figure it out. But I'll take your word for it. Not sure what it means.

But in this case I posted something about BA ranking Martin at 16th and stated my opinion that it was too high and that BA has historically been stubborn to admit when they had over/under ranked draftees/prospects (not specifically Martin). Then you came at me with the opening line of "This is just flawed logic." as if you get to decide what is logical.... you don't. You have opinions and I have opinions.

Yes, I have been a member since 2004 and yes, my counter is currently at 284.... SO WHAT! I could have thousands of posts if I wanted to repeat my OPINIONS over and over and over and over... I have actually many more posts than that but I have lived through several resets that took my count back to zero. There are long periods of time when I have not had the time to engage on this board. That doesn't lessen my knowledge or interest. Ironically, I would engage more but for the folks who aggressively jump on posters like they just pooped in their yard or something. Just my two cents!

I have a solid reputation on this board with zero warnings and a decent amount of rep points for my meager 284 posts.

Most scouting/media type services have Martin very high or he wouldn’t have been rated #2 or even #1 in some places. 

No matter what you think of Baseball America, nothing related to playing has happened for them to raise or lower their grade. When he plays some games and produces some stats they would have a valid reason to make a correction. 

Thanks for responding..... Please post more

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I posted something about BA ranking Martin at 16th and stated my opinion that it was too high and that BA has historically been stubborn to admit when they had over/under ranked draftees/prospects (not specifically Martin). 

I’m trying to understand the “stubborness” point in the context of this discussion.   Nothing has happened since the college season was interrupted that would give them a reason to change whatever opinion they had at that time.   I do agree that BA sometimes hangs on to a prospect they like too long, or refuse to acknowledge that someone not initially on their radar has become a top prospect.   

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What's a silly statement?

The idea that you don't understand what the word rush means?

You've shown that you don't, at least not in this context.

It's really very very simple.

If someone is ready to play in the major leagues he is not being rushed if he's promoted to the majors.

Very few make the jump, even fewer are successful the 1st time. Griffey Jr did it and Was it Harper? 

For the Orioles it would make no sense to bring him up as this year and next are still lost seasons. It would have no value to the team to start the clock early.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Very few make the jump, even fewer are successful the 1st time. Griffey Jr did it and Was it Harper? 

For the Orioles it would make no sense to bring him up as this year and next are still lost seasons. It would have no value to the team to start the clock early.

I'm not saying it would make sense.  I'm not saying I agree with the assessment that he's ML ready.

I'm saying not promoting him because you want to maximize his useful service time isn't the same as him not being "rushed".

Does anyone think Mountcastle would have been "rushed" if he had been called up in September?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying it would make sense.  I'm not saying I agree with the assessment that he's ML ready.

I'm saying not promoting him because you want to maximize his useful service time isn't the same as him not being "rushed".

Does anyone think Mountcastle would have been "rushed" if he had been called up in September?

Agreed

I am pretty sure Kjerstad isn’t in the <1% bucket that’s MLB ready at draft time.

I am pretty sure Mountcastle is ready offensively now and probably was last season for a call up.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Before this year got cut short, I was expecting next year to be one where we’d make some serious W/L progress.    Not that we’d be a .500+ team, but we wouldn’t be a bottom feeder like we are now.   But now I’m not sure.    A lot of guys in the upper minors are losing the chance to get that last bit of polish they need.    

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Agreed

I am pretty sure Kjerstad isn’t in the <1% bucket that’s MLB ready at draft time.

I am pretty sure Mountcastle is ready offensively now and probably was last season for a call up.

I think Mountcastle was ready offensively too.    Opinions differ on whether he was ready defensively, and whether that should matter if he was ready offensively.    I’m willing to give the O’s the benefit of the doubt on that.    And I’m perfectly comfortable playing service time games while your team stinks, as long as you don’t totally abuse it.