cboemmeljr

On This Day In 1970: June 29

#50THANNIVERSARY

On this day in 1970 the Orioles lost a third consecutive game to the Washington Senators by a score of 5-3.

Aurelio Rodriguez's 8th inning three-run homerun off of Mike Cuellar proved to be the difference in the game.  He went 2 for 4 with 1 run scored and 3 RBI on the day.  The senator's other runs came from Frank Howard's 1st inning 2-run homer.

The Birds were limited to just 6 hits by Washington pitchers.

BOX SCORE

• Thanks 1

Never realised Bobby Grich had gotten a callup as early as 1970.  I don't think he was really called up for good until 72 or 73.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 6:38 AM, RZNJ said:

Never realised Bobby Grich had gotten a callup as early as 1970.  I don't think he was really called up for good until 72 or 73.

I always think of Grich and Baylor together--what a farm system we once had!--and the latter would debut later in the year as a September call-up.

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

I always think of Grich and Baylor together--what a farm system we once had!--and the latter would debut later in the year as a September call-up.

I was surprised in watching the 1970 World Series replay that Curt Gowdy mentioned Baylor and what a great prospect he was.   I didn't think there was that much "public awareness" of minor league prospects back then like there is today.

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

I know it's before my time, but I remember it was said by others that Grich and Baylor spent at least 1 year extra in AAA because the Orioles were so loaded at the time. 

In 1970 Don Baylor had 71 extra base hits and an 1.011 OPS and his reward in 1971 was another year in the minors. Grich hit .383 in 1970 in AAA in only 63 games and he also spent 1971 at Rochester with Baylor.  

I'm hoping the day comes again where Orioles top prospects have to wait to get their turn in the show because the big league team is overflowing with talent. 

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I know it's before my time, but I remember it was said by others that Grich and Baylor spent at least 1 year extra in AAA because the Orioles were so loaded at the time. 

In 1970 Don Baylor had 71 extra base hits and an 1.011 OPS and his reward in 1971 was another year in the minors. Grich hit .383 in 1970 in AAA in only 63 games and he also spent 1971 at Rochester with Baylor.  

I'm hoping the day comes again where Orioles top prospects have to wait to get their turn in the show because the big league team is overflowing with talent. 

Yes, this was actually true. With Buford, Blair, Frank, and Rettenmund in a World Series-tested outfield and Johnson at second since 1966, there was just no room. Moreover, they already had a stable of great starting pitching and thus no reason to trade a star position player for more. I believe Crowley, who had also racked up great stats at Rochester, made the team over Baylor because he was more than two years older, a lefty swinger on a predominantly right-handed hitting team, and could play both the outfield and first base.

• Upvote 1