Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roll Tide

Os announce 60 man roster

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, atomic said:

That is a triple A roster.  Well worse because it  sounds like Mountcastle won't be added to the 60 man roster.  Elias saying it is easy to add to the 60 man roster but hard to take off so they probably won't be adding too many players at this point.  

Luckily there is no all-star game this year because if Means struggled not a whole lot of all-star material on the team. 

I think its a pretty sure bet that Mountcastle will be added to 60 man roster and start the season with the 30 that don't make the active O's roster in either Bowie or Aberdeen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangraphs has a writeup on AL East player pools here:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/analyzing-the-prospect-player-pool-al-east/

One interesting tidbit:

Quote

A couple roster mechanics to keep in mind as you read: Teams are allowed a 60-player pool. They don’t have to roster 60 guys from the start; not doing so allows them to scoop up released or DFA’d players without cutting someone. 

Definitely seems like the bolded may be a part of Elias's motivation for not starting with a full 60 ID'd

Also, FG has a part of their site dedicated to tracking the player pools (along with roster resource depth charts):

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 3:37 PM, wildcard said:

I think its a pretty sure bet that Mountcastle will be added to 60 man roster and start the season with the 30 that don't make the active O's roster in either Bowie or Aberdeen.

That isn't what it sounds like.  From what Elias said it is easy to put guys on 60 man roster but hard to take them off.  So I suspect if he isn't on it by now he won't be on it.   As he would be a guy who would not be removed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, atomic said:

That isn't what it sounds like.  From what Elias said it is easy to put guys on 60 man roster but hard to take them off.  So I suspect if he isn't on it by now he won't be on it.   As he would be a guy who would not be removed. 

There would be no need to ever remove him.

The "hard to take them off" thing is the rationale for not filling up the 60 man roster right now.   Just putting the guys on who have a shot at the Opening Day roster.   Let those guys work out and prepare for the season.

Once the season starts and 30 of them are no longer practicing at [Bowie or wherever] as they are on the major league team, then you can add a bunch of guys.   Probably won't fill the full 60 to allow wiggle room.   But certainly go to 57 or 58.   And there's absolutely no reason Mountcastle wouldn't be part of that second wave of people added to the roster.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SteveA said:

There would be no need to ever remove him.

The "hard to take them off" thing is the rationale for not filling up the 60 man roster right now.   Just putting the guys on who have a shot at the Opening Day roster.   Let those guys work out and prepare for the season.

Once the season starts and 30 of them are no longer practicing at [Bowie or wherever] as they are on the major league team, then you can add a bunch of guys.   Probably won't fill the full 60 to allow wiggle room.   But certainly go to 57 or 58.   And there's absolutely no reason Mountcastle wouldn't be part of that second wave of people added to the roster.   

Seems to me to be a pretty smart way for a club in the O's position to manage the roster. I really hope that things get to the point where there can be some type of expanded fall league for MiLB players. The fall is really nice weather for baseball until mid-october.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think they like the optics better.  If those guys don’t report until late then it takes a while to get game ready and before you know it they have an extra year of service time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 12:33 PM, atomic said:

That is a triple A roster.  Well worse because it  sounds like Mountcastle won't be added to the 60 man roster.  Elias saying it is easy to add to the 60 man roster but hard to take off so they probably won't be adding too many players at this point.  

Luckily there is no all-star game this year because if Means struggled not a whole lot of all-star material on the team. 


The goal is to finish dead last

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:


The goal is to finish dead last

I think we will surprise a bit. Like flirt with .500 for awhile before sinking hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, interloper said:

I think we will surprise a bit. Like flirt with .500 for awhile before sinking hard. 

Split the first two games of the season?  I could see that.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Split the first two games of the season?  I could see that.

I mean, if they win the first game, it would probably the latest in a season they have been over .500 in a while.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I mean, if they win the first game, it would probably the latest in a season they have been over .500 in a while.

 Assuming you are referring to the date, they were 71-70 on September 8, 2017. They started last year 4-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I mean, if they win the first game, it would probably the latest in a season they have been over .500 in a while.

We lost Opening Day last year, but won the next 4 so we were 4-1.

And before last year we had 8 straight Opening Day wins (the last 3 coming on walkoffs).

The only seasons the Orioles never had a winning record were 1955, 1956, 1988, 1991, 2007, and 2010.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

 Assuming you are referring to the date, they were 71-70 on September 8, 2017. They started last year 4-1.

I forgot how bad that September collapse was. They finished 75-87 or 4-17 after that date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Roll Tide said:


The goal is to finish dead last

Well they have built a roster that seems ideal for that goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • The mound not in the middle of the diamond feels even more blasphemous than seven inning games or a runner on second to start extras. 
    • Everything you say here is correct...but 3 million is no money and it’s tough to just cut an 800+ OpS, 30+ homer bat. I think you keep him for insurance if nothing else.
    • Why bring him back?  Because you like him vs lefties?  To me, you either non tender him or offer him a 1 year deal for 1-2 million.  If he doesn’t like it, let him walk. He has no power and he doesn’t walk.  The league is adjusting to him.
    • Hanser Alberto started the season on fire, and ended it freezing cold.   We can’t make too much of where he was on hot streaks/cold streaks in a 60 game season.  He ended at .698 OPS this year, and he was that low as late as Game 75 last year before getting hot, then cooling off again towards the end of the year.   However, I do see two things that worry me: 1.   A significant increase in strikeout rate.   Last year Alberto only struck out 50 times in 550 PA, about a 9% K rate.    This year he struck out 30 times in 231 PA, about a 13% K rate.    When you’re a swing-at-everything kind of hitter, making contact is very important. 2.    He wasn’t as good defensively at 2B as I expected.   Last year he was plus on the defensive metrics at that position, this year he’s minus.   +5 Rtot to -2; +2 Rdrs to -2; +4.0 UZR to -1.3; OAA +3 to -3.    Defensive metrics take a long time to stabilize, but I take them seriously when they all point the same direction.   And, the eye test agrees with those numbers.     wildcard has pointed out many times that Alberto has pretty extreme L/R splits, and while last year I didn’t want to jump to any conclusions based on one year of data (.948/.609) given his lack of extreme splits in the minors, the same pattern showed this year (.917/.635).    It’s fair to question if Alberto should remain an everyday player. I still like Alberto, but I’d classify 2020 as disappointing for him.   
    • Thank you for not extrapolating the next 60 games…
    • Nunez was worth .01 fWAR. He can hit, but he’s so limited in every other way he gives everything back. He can’t even run. Someone will pick him up for free, but no one will trade for him. Not only is he not worth ~3 million , we have several guys who do what he does and other things besides. We can afford to NT him because we don’t need him, and we are better off without him because he takes a space better used for someone else.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...