TommyPickles

Who will be the "pleasant surprise" for the O's in 2020?

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Well.... it’s only a 60 game season. He can make about 12 starts and call it a year. 

I want to see some team decide that since it's just 60 games they're going to have their ace starter go every third day and get 20 starts.  What if Texas gave 2/3rds of their starts to Lance Lynn and Mike Minor?  Or if the Nats gave 100% of their starts to Scherzer, Corbin, and Strasburg?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

A pleasant surprise for me would be if Elias realized that this ML season is meaningless and used it to develop nearly ready players that won't have a minor league season.  Put Mountcastle at 1B every day with Mancini out.  Put  Diaz, Hays, and Santander in the outifield regularly.  Let Richie Martin play 2B.  If you have to play a one-hit wonder like Alberto, let him platoon at 3B.  Surprise me by playing the kids.

Well Mountcastle and Diaz are not even on the 60 man right now because he is not going to make the Opening Day roster.   Not a promising start for your dream.

24 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well Mountcastle and Diaz are not even on the 60 man right now because he is not going to make the Opening Day roster.   Not a promising start for your dream.

I did say it would be a surprise. 🙂

41 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I want to see some team decide that since it's just 60 games they're going to have their ace starter go every third day and get 20 starts.  What if Texas gave 2/3rds of their starts to Lance Lynn and Mike Minor?  Or if the Nats gave 100% of their starts to Scherzer, Corbin, and Strasburg?

Would you do that to Scherzer and Strasburg?

If the Orioles want to do that with Wojo, Stewart and Sulser (or Cobb, even, if healthy), that's OK by me. They can pitch six innings or 75 pitches, whichever comes first.

But I can't see the Senators (sic) risking their investment in those players and, by extension, risking their chances of returning to the World Series for the next few years.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Why would it have to be every third day? Aren’t they trying to play 60 games in 100ish days?  Or are they starting the playoffs earlier?

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Why would it have to be every third day? Aren’t they trying to play 60 games in 100ish days?  Or are they starting the playoffs earlier?

60 games in 66 days.

The regular season is scheduled to end on Sept 27 when. It was always schedules to end.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

60 games in 66 days.

The regular season is scheduled to end on Sept 27 when. It was always schedules to end.

I guess late July to late September is only two months and not three.  My brain has atrophied during this lockdown.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Would you do that to Scherzer and Strasburg?

If the Orioles want to do that with Wojo, Stewart and Sulser (or Cobb, even, if healthy), that's OK by me. They can pitch six innings or 75 pitches, whichever comes first.

But I can't see the Senators (sic) risking their investment in those players and, by extension, risking their chances of returning to the World Series for the next few years.

Probably not, but that's what baseball did for over a century. 

That is a good point about the Orioles.  They have nothing to lose, almost no real prospects to ruin.  I'd do some crazy stuff this year.  If one pitcher is rolling, have him go 80 pitches every three days.  Don't even have a starter half the time, go opener, then six relievers throwing max effort.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t think there is going to be a 2020.

Too late.  We are almost through June 2020 and the world has not ended.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Too late.  We are almost through June 2020 and the world has not ended.

Remember the movie city Slickers?

And the guy says to the cowboy, “You haven’t killed anybody today.” And the guy smiles back at him and answers, “Day ain’t over yet.”

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That is a good point about the Orioles.  They have nothing to lose, almost no real prospects to ruin.  I'd do some crazy stuff this year.  If one pitcher is rolling, have him go 80 pitches every three days.  Don't even have a starter half the time, go opener, then six relievers throwing max effort.

This was the strategy I suggested 20 years ago, but specifically for the Rockies.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yea, I could definitely see more creative teams getting really weird with it.

Not counting Ynoa (who had 13 starts), the 2019 Orioles only had 1 pitcher throw over 70 innings (Castro), 1 additional throw over 60 (Givens), and 3 others throw over 50 (Fry, Bleier, Armstrong). A pitcher throwing 25 to 30 innings over 60, which I don't think would be overly taxing as the rate wouldn't be sustained over a whole season, would be the equivalent of 67.5 to 81 over 162 games. And with relievers throwing a higher percentage of total innings, you would obviously need less from starters.

15 hours ago, Philip said:

I don’t think there is going to be a 2020.

I'm always fascinated by the human truism that in any decent sized group of people there is going to be someone who sincerely believes that it's all going to burn down*, and really soon.

* And when you point that out they respond that it's already mostly burned down.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm always fascinated by the human truism that in any decent sized group of people there is going to be someone who sincerely believes that it's all going to burn down*, and really soon.

* And when you point that out they respond that it's already mostly burned down.

I’m not sure where I suggested anything was going to burn down. I think we won’t play, and I’m not basing that thought on nothing.