I confess to needing additional telemedicine.

My eyes are ok.  The sting they felt upon seeing the name "Brabender" has abated.

But the rest of my morning since then has, unfortunately, found me distracted by a swelling in my tongue and tinnitis in my inner ear.  That arises, I suspect, from the last few hours' almost ceaseless repetition of that name, in a so far futile effort to understand how it was pronounced.

It looks to me like a Dutch name, which makes me want to think the accent is on the first syllable.  BRA - ben - der.  But is it BRAW - ben - der, sounding like a nickname for somebody who works in a ladies' lingerie shop ... or for a dame with a really big rack?   Or is it BRA - ben - der rhymes with lavender?  Or maybe the accent is on the second syllable... Bra - BEN - der rhymes with Sg. Mel PEN - der?  Or, hell, maybe he was of French extraction and wanted to be called Eugène Brabender?

I need to find a philologist.  Fast.  Somebody who either knows or can reconstruct the pronunciation of "Brabender" based on proto-Indo-European glottology.  Of, it not, need to send some contact tracers out among wizened MLB fandom.  Maybe somebody there remembers hearing the name spoken, on radio or TV, back in the day.

41 minutes ago, Hit Man said:
I confess to needing additional telemedicine.

My eyes are ok.  The sting they felt upon seeing the name "Brabender" has abated.

But the rest of my morning since then has, unfortunately, found me distracted by a swelling in my tongue and tinnitis in my inner ear.  That arises, I suspect, from the last few hours' almost ceaseless repetition of that name, in a so far futile effort to understand how it was pronounced.

It looks to me like a Dutch name, which makes me want to think the accent is on the first syllable.  BRA - ben - der.  But is it BRAW - ben - der, sounding like a nickname for somebody who works in a ladies' lingerie shop ... or for a dame with a really big rack?   Or is it BRA - ben - der rhymes with lavender?  Or maybe the accent is on the second syllable... Bra - BEN - der rhymes with Sg. Mel PEN - der?  Or, hell, maybe he was of French extraction and wanted to be called Eugène Brabender?

I need to find a philologist.  Fast.  Somebody who either knows or can reconstruct the pronunciation of "Brabender" based on proto-Indo-European glottology.  Of, it not, need to send some contact tracers out among wizened MLB fandom.  Maybe somebody there remembers hearing the name spoken, on radio or TV, back in the day.

That's the way he pronounced it.  Although there is no "W" sound in there.  Just say the 2 words "bra" and "bender".

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• From I recall, didn't seem like a knuckleball so much as an eephus pitch.
    • I was just perusing the old Fangraphs, looking to see if anyone had thrown a knuckleball in 2020.  Last year there were a handful of guys who threw a few flutterballs, but I knew Steven Wright was out with an injury.  According to the pitch type listings the only people who've thrown the pitch this year are position players: Erik Kratz, Todd Frazier, and Holaday.  But it's so few pitches, and players who don't normally pitch, I don't know if it wasn't just a mis-categorization of a batting practice curveball or something. Does anyone remember Holaday's stint on the mound on August 14th?  I certainly wasn't watching the end of a 15-3 blowout loss.  The only clue in the game thread was @SteveA commenting that "Holaday bringing it at 73 MPH". If we could get confirmation that he threw a knuckler, that might be the first one by an Oriole pitcher since Dan Boone in 1990, although Fangraphs says Ryan Flaherty may have also thrown a few knucklers in a pitching appearance in '16.  But again we'd need confirmation that it wasn't just a 71 mph junkball that the trackers didn't know what to do with.
    • o   (73 DAYS LATER)     o
    • I suppose 2B is arguable. Alberto hits OK, but his defense is not very good. But do you really think a 500 or better team can have a third baseman like Ruiz? His defense is really bad, and I’ve been one of his big fans., But he doesn’t hit enough to compensate for his defense, or vice versa. He needs to go and we need to replace him with somebody competent.
    • If I were a team and he was willing to sign a long term deal I'd be worried he'd stop using the illegal substances he's using to increase his spin rate.  
    • He's probably got the Cy Young in the clubhouse if his teammates can clinch before Sunday, but could he lose it if his number is called on 3 days rest again Sunday, and he scuffles with a playoff berth on the line? Except that Boddy's a team employee now, would have said he and Boddy have to be over the moon on the eve of his FA? Like Rendon/Strasburg last year, there's a good bit extra he can earn with a hot month, maybe enough for him to flirt with the 1-year record if he stars and sticks by that principle.
    • scOtt, you say you don't see enough actual playing in videos, so this one is for you.  
  • Popular Contributors