Jump to content
weams

Orioles Sign Heston Kjerstad

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

So in essence you’re in favor of a system with no spending caps.    

Not necessarily ... The NFL uses slotted cap protocol. The system is made to play overslot/underslot games and they don't allow HS players to be drafted so they can't use the college scholarship as leverage, and I believe once they hire an agent returning is off the table.

So there can be a better system IMO

I will say with baseball's union issue its much harder to get a system in place that would work

I am for competitive balance and for a salary cap...Which would be better for everybody IMO. The elite players wouldn't get quite as much but the mid-level and younger players would benefit.

 

***** The game would be far more interesting when the haves simply cannot buy everything they want! ****

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Don't necessarily disagree.  But what happens when there is no slotting?  We end up where we were 10 or 15 years ago.  They Orioles pick Wade Townsend as who they think is the BPA.  They say they can afford X for him.  Townsend says I want X times 1.5, there's no cap, no limits, pony up the cash.  The O's say they can't, so they get no BPA, he doesn't sign.

I guess another option would be to just have hard slots.  Tell the #2 pick he gets $5M.  If he doesn't like it, he could go pound sand.  Benefits of being a baseball monopoly.

The NFL uses a similar format ....99.99% of the time all of the players sign. It just needs to be constructed correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Not necessarily ... The NFL uses slotted cap protocol. The system is made to play overslot/underslot games and they don't allow HS players to be drafted so they can't use the college scholarship as leverage, and I believe once they hire an agent returning is off the table.

So there can be a better system IMO

I will say with baseball's union issue its much harder to get a system in place that would work

I am for competitive balance and for a salary cap...Which would be better for everybody IMO. The elite players wouldn't get quite as much but the mid-level and younger players would benefit.

 

***** The game would be far more interesting when the haves simply cannot buy everything they want! ****

But they don't now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Don't necessarily disagree.  But what happens when there is no slotting?  We end up where we were 10 or 15 years ago.  They Orioles pick Wade Townsend as who they think is the BPA.  They say they can afford X for him.  Townsend says I want X times 1.5, there's no cap, no limits, pony up the cash.  The O's say they can't, so they get no BPA, he doesn't sign.

I guess another option would be to just have hard slots.  Tell the #2 pick he gets $5M.  If he doesn't like it, he could go pound sand.  Benefits of being a baseball monopoly.

That's what the NBA does with the first round - though their CBA doesn't specifically say to pound sand.  They have a 2 round draft, and the second round doesn't have slots.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they don't now...

They do ... the luxury tax is only a deterrent. If they want something bad enough they can blow out the cap and live with it. With the Yankees/Dodgers revenue stream they money really doesn't matter that much. I read years ago that the YES cable revenue pays all of their expenses without a nickel from tickets, concessions, national money etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

They do ... the luxury tax is only a deterrent. If they want something bad enough they can blow out the cap and live with it. With the Yankees/Dodgers revenue stream they money really doesn't matter that much. I read years ago that the YES cable revenue pays all of their expenses without a nickel from tickets, concessions, national money etc

 

No they don't.

Who is the best prospect in baseball?

Are the Rays a "Have"?  Did a luxury tax keep another team from signing him?  Did he get the largest signing bonus in his class?

Yes the Yankees can afford to do thing like trade for Giancarlo Stanton but do you really want Stanton's contract?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

During the '70 WS re-broadcast, I learned also Brooks Robinson somewhat - at least the announcers related an anecdote he wrote and ate left-handed when talking about how masterful his glove hand was.  

Of course he threw R, so outside that extremely rare Rickard box, of whom I think of Rickey Henderson first and foremost.

But that's different than Henderson, who batted right and threw left.   Brooks batted right.

I am like Brooks.   Anything that requires strength (throwing, punching, going to pick something heavy up) I am right hand dominant.   And I bat right.

But things that require preceision (writing, bringing a fork or spoon to my mouth), I do with my left hand.

I don't know what hand Rickey Henderson uses to write/eat, but he bats right and throws left, which is a rare combo as you noted.   I believe the first President Bush did the same when he played baseball at Yale.

I think the way Brooks and I are is also very rare.   I don't recall ever meeting someone else like me, and I didn't know Brooks was until I watched the WS broadcast this past week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No they don't.

Who is the best prospect in baseball?

Are the Rays a "Have"?  Did a luxury tax keep another team from signing him?  Did he get the largest signing bonus in his class?

Yes the Yankees can afford to do thing like trade for Giancarlo Stanton but do you really want Stanton's contract?

I wasn’t specifically talking about the draft. In regards to the draft there needs to be slotting. Just not the way it’s currently done. As I mentioned, in the NFL for the most part you play where you play for who ever drafts you. Eli Manning and Elway head the list of outliers but it’s extremely rare.

Baseball prospects have other opinions including taking a scholarship, returning to school etc. In the NFL, the slotting is in place and there is really no advantage to holding out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Servideo signed for 950k which is 104k over slot. May also official at 1.75 million.  So we are looking like 200k saved if Baumler reported number is finalized. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 4:24 PM, Roll Tide said:

I wasn’t specifically talking about the draft. In regards to the draft there needs to be slotting. Just not the way it’s currently done. As I mentioned, in the NFL for the most part you play where you play for who ever drafts you. Eli Manning and Elway head the list of outliers but it’s extremely rare.

Baseball prospects have other opinions including taking a scholarship, returning to school etc. In the NFL, the slotting is in place and there is really no advantage to holding out.

I wasn't talking about the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...