Jump to content
Roll Tide

Servideo on Crabcakes, Bleach Blonde hair, and more! (UPDATE: Signs for $950K 100k overslot)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes Fratelli's is very good! Might I suggest the blackened Shrimp and Chicken in cajun creme sauce! it's pretty amazing!

 

Thanks .... The reason the restaurant options are limited is due to the fact that years ago Westminster sold its excess water to Baltimore county on a long term deal. So you have to either buy or reopen in a spot that was previously a restaurant

And nobody wants to be in the mall and they are the only real spots available.

 

They are knocking down the Ruby Tuesday building and making a small strip plaza that will include a new chinese place (Gasp) .... And Mission BBQ is wating for a market correction (3-6 months) before opening in the old Friendly's spot.

Awesome to hear on the Chinese place!  Forbidden City is the only good spot in Westminster.  I head about Mission BBQ, was wondering what the delay was, thanks. 

Didn't know about the water situation, that explains a lot.   Yea, the mall is dead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I guess you mean the retiree crowd?

 

Mostly yea, or as I call them the water with lemon crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you haven't had a crab cake in Baltimore or the Eastern Shore, then you never had a crab cake. You may have eaten a "crab cake" on the menu of some restaurant in some foreign land, such as Alabama, but you were denied a real crab cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, George said:

If you haven't had a crab cake in Baltimore or the Eastern Shore, then you never had a crab cake. You may have eaten a "crab cake" on the menu of some restaurant in some foreign land, such as Alabama, but you were denied a real crab cake.

So you are saying if the only crab cake you have ever had was at my dinner table then it doesn't count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you are saying if the only crab cake you have ever had was at my dinner table then it doesn't count?

Maybe he thinks I’m in Alabama?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just about every place in Baltimore area has crab cakes. I dated a girl from Midwest and introduced her to crab cakes and that is all she would eat when we went out for dinner. Some crappy sub shop that you would never think about crab cakes has them.  Pizza joints you name it they have them. It is kind of amazing how ubiquitous they are here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Just about every place in Baltimore area has crab cakes. I dated a girl from Midwest and introduced her to crab cakes and that is all she would eat when we went out for dinner. Some crappy sub shop that you would never think about crab cakes has them.  Pizza joints you name it they have them. It is kind of amazing how ubiquitous they are here. 

Same thing down here with Cuban sandwiches even though you need a specific type of bread to make it correctly and most places don't bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Most restaurants will answer you honestly when asked where there crab meat comes from.

If you are considering opening a restaurant that serves crab, you'll need to understand that some customers can tell the difference between the ill-flavored Phillips garbage of mixed species - primarily Mud Crab (Portunas armatus), the flavorless Venezuelan crab meat (which can be of mixed species also) and fresh, steamed callinectes sapidus, especially from the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries...even when covered up in crabcakes or Crab Imperial!Straight from the container, most can easily tell the difference. People who grew up eating fresh steamed Maryland blue crabs tend to have a more well-hone ability to discriminate between the real deal and the pretenders. 

I know about Phillips' farming operations in the Phiilipines, India and Indonesia. They have tons of customers of their crab-product throughout the state and even the country. There's a Bourdain episode where Tony hangs with Detroit firefighters who are purchasing exorbitantly priced, metal cans of pasteurized, Phillips-labeled crab-product. Later, he makes them a delicious and inexpensive beef stew that the entire station house raves about.

It's important to understand that Asian and Venezuelan crab meat are treated with the anti-bacterial, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, leaving the meat bleached white, odorless and favorless. That may be preferable to falliing victim to the annual outbreaks of Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacterial infections from Atlantic equatorial crabs. By contrast, steamed, non-pasteurized, non chemically bathed fresh Maryland blue crab meat has a deep, rich aroma, almost musky with small yellow flecks of the epicurean delight, "crab mustard." I guarantee you that if I placed all three meats plain in bowls, you could easily taste the difference. You could smell the difference, even! BTW: all west coast crabs including those from Peru are from other species which are inferior to callinectes sapidus. No "beautiful swimmers" being caught in the Pacific. However, some have crossed the pond via bilge water and have made new homes from the Mediterranean shores of France to Norway.

Certain industry secrets are hard to keep. It's not hard to find which restaurants purvey the crap. Sadly, you are more likely to get Asian or Venezuelan crab to U.S.A. -sourced blue crab when ordering a crabcake at Baltimore metro restaurants. If you want to be sure you are buying real fresh steamed blue crab, you can find restaurants who exclusively serve Maryland crab or others who serve Maryland crab in season, only substituting with Louisiana meat during winter months, copy this url: https://seafood.maryland.gov/true-blue-maryland-crab-meat/

Crab Hack: if you boil your crabs in salt water, I have a money saving tip for you -- Microwave a mug of water filled with salty popcorn. You'll never know the difference.

You should change your name to Crab Supreme!

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

you'll need to understand that some customers can tell the difference between the ill-flavored Phillips garbage of mixed species - primarily Mud Crab (Portunas armatus), the flavorless Venezuelan crab meat (which can be of mixed species also) and fresh, steamed callinectes sapidus, especially from the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callinectes_sapidus

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portunus_armatus

beginning to doubt whether I could tell the difference 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Most restaurants will answer you honestly when asked where there crab meat comes from.

If you are considering opening a restaurant that serves crab, you'll need to understand that some customers can tell the difference between the ill-flavored Phillips garbage of mixed species - primarily Mud Crab (Portunas armatus), the flavorless Venezuelan crab meat (which can be of mixed species also) and fresh, steamed callinectes sapidus, especially from the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries...even when covered up in crabcakes or Crab Imperial!Straight from the container, most can easily tell the difference. People who grew up eating fresh steamed Maryland blue crabs tend to have a more well-hone ability to discriminate between the real deal and the pretenders. 

I know about Phillips' farming operations in the Phiilipines, India and Indonesia. They have tons of customers of their crab-product throughout the state and even the country. There's a Bourdain episode where Tony hangs with Detroit firefighters who are purchasing exorbitantly priced, metal cans of pasteurized, Phillips-labeled crab-product. Later, he makes them a delicious and inexpensive beef stew that the entire station house raves about.

It's important to understand that Asian and Venezuelan crab meat are treated with the anti-bacterial, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, leaving the meat bleached white, odorless and favorless. That may be preferable to falliing victim to the annual outbreaks of Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacterial infections from Atlantic equatorial crabs. By contrast, steamed, non-pasteurized, non chemically bathed fresh Maryland blue crab meat has a deep, rich aroma, almost musky with small yellow flecks of the epicurean delight, "crab mustard." I guarantee you that if I placed all three meats plain in bowls, you could easily taste the difference. You could smell the difference, even! BTW: all west coast crabs including those from Peru are from other species which are inferior to callinectes sapidus. No "beautiful swimmers" being caught in the Pacific. However, some have crossed the pond via bilge water and have made new homes from the Mediterranean shores of France to Norway.

Certain industry secrets are hard to keep. It's not hard to find which restaurants purvey the crap. Sadly, you are more likely to get Asian or Venezuelan crab to U.S.A. -sourced blue crab when ordering a crabcake at Baltimore metro restaurants. If you want to be sure you are buying real fresh steamed blue crab, you can find restaurants who exclusively serve Maryland crab or others who serve Maryland crab in season, only substituting with Louisiana meat during winter months, copy this url: https://seafood.maryland.gov/true-blue-maryland-crab-meat/

Crab Hack: if you boil your crabs in salt water, I have a money saving tip for you -- Microwave a mug of water filled with salty popcorn. You'll never know the difference.

Interesting thanks.... The food wholesalers tell you where the product is coming from. I am from Maryland and have lived here most of my life. So I get what you are saying.

My only complaint with places like G&M, Timbuktu, Pappis, Fratelli’s etc is that there is no where near enough Old Bay in the mixture for my liking.

I don’t boil crabs, put Old Bay on popcorn or own a microwave. 
 

I like Old Bay on Wings, Fried Chicken, Shrimp, Shrimp Salad, Crabs, Crab Cakes, and I put it in my corn in the cob on the cob water.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, weams said:

Guess they spent that extra money they were holding on to. 

The class as a whole still came in $222,000 under slot.

Per Spotrac, among the 19 teams who have signed all of their picks, the Orioles join the Mariners ($304,400), Braves ($131,000) and Pirates ($87,100) as the only teams to go more than $7,300 under slot.

8 teams went more than $191,000 over slot. Led by the Tigers at $615,900 over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The class as a whole still came in $222,000 under slot.

Per Spotrac, among the 19 teams who have signed all of their picks, the Orioles join the Mariners ($304,400), Braves ($131,000) and Pirates ($87,100) as the only teams to go more than $7,300 under slot.

8 teams went more than $191,000 over slot. Led by the Tigers at $615,900 over.

Brooks

”I only got 4 thousand dollars. I have no idea about my dad.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...