Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Number5

Nick Markakis Opts Out Of 2020 Season

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Funny note that I'm sure has been mentioned before. Nick Markakis has the highest rWAR of the 2003 draft first round (34.2). In second place is none other than Adam Jones (32.5). After those two, it's a rather large drop to Aaron Hill (24.4).

You have to go all the way to the 17th round to find someone who tops either of them with Ian Kinsler (55.2 rWAR). Max Scherzer (60.1) was drafted in the 43rd round, but didn't sign.

The first round of that draft maybe one of worst ever.  They got just 5 guys make anal star.  Markakis, Rickie Weeks, Aron Hill, Chad Cordero, and Carlos Quantino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The first round of that draft maybe one of worst ever.  They got just 5 guys make anal star.  Markakis, Rickie Weeks, Aron Hill, Chad Cordero, and Carlos Quantino.

Thankfully I missed that game.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

Spotrac estimates that Markakis has made $117.3 million during his career.  Being of "high character", I doubt he has squandered it.

I chatted with his wife briefly last year at a baseball tournament Nick's son and my son were playing in.  Let's just say, I know where some of Nick's money went...  :leaving:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The first round of that draft maybe one of worst ever.  They got just 5 guys make anal star.  Markakis, Rickie Weeks, Aron Hill, Chad Cordero, and Carlos Quantino.

Anal stars, eh?  Not sure what that is, not sure if I wanna know what that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The first round of that draft maybe one of worst ever.  They got just 5 guys make anal star.  Markakis, Rickie Weeks, Aron Hill, Chad Cordero, and Carlos Quantino.

First of all, this is a family site, sir. 
 

Second, are you not counting adam Jones? Because he’s part of the supplemental round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Funny note that I'm sure has been mentioned before. Nick Markakis has the highest rWAR of the 2003 draft first round (34.2). In second place is none other than Adam Jones (32.5). After those two, it's a rather large drop to Aaron Hill (24.4).

You have to go all the way to the 17th round to find someone who tops either of them with Ian Kinsler (55.2 rWAR). Max Scherzer (60.1) was drafted in the 43rd round, but didn't sign.

If you look at active players, 2003 is the lone exception where more players from an earlier draft are still in the game than 2003. 

Generally speaking 2003 was a horrific draft, probably the worst in the last 30 years in terms of player making the show and performing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ripken said:

I chatted with his wife briefly last year at a baseball tournament Nick's son and my son were playing in.  Let's just say, I know where some of Nick's money went...  :leaving:

Lip sync lessons while he trained for the “We Won’t Stop” video?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Does playing baseball increase the chances of contracting covid?

Compared to hunkering down at home?  Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Does playing baseball increase the chances of contracting covid?

Other than the doing nothing vs. doing something aspect that CoC brings up, I think it’s important to frame this correctly. There’s a good chance that a lot of these guys weren’t in full lockdown prior to returning to facilities. 
 

Most of the guys popping positive were walking around unaware of having it, showed up for testing then found out they had it. It’s not like there’s some unique baseball outbreak, which is how some in the sports media are positioning it. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Other than the doing nothing vs. doing something aspect that CoC brings up, I think it’s important to frame this correctly. There’s a good chance that a lot of these guys weren’t in full lockdown prior to returning to facilities. 
 

Most of the guys popping positive were walking around unaware of having it, showed up for testing then found out they had it. It’s not like there’s some unique baseball outbreak, which is how some in the sports media are positioning it. 

The sports media is a bunch of drama queens begging for sports to be shut down for political purposes.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Other than the doing nothing vs. doing something aspect that CoC brings up, I think it’s important to frame this correctly. There’s a good chance that a lot of these guys weren’t in full lockdown prior to returning to facilities. 
 

Most of the guys popping positive were walking around unaware of having it, showed up for testing then found out they had it. It’s not like there’s some unique baseball outbreak, which is how some in the sports media are positioning it. 

I don’t see anyone positioning it that way.   1.2% of the players and staff tested were positive, which is a much lower figure than is estimated to exist for the general population.    

Still, I do think there are reasons why the environment of pro team sports would expose players more than an average person.    There’s inevitable close contact at times on the field while people are breathing hard, the dugout (bench in other sports) and locker room are relatively confined spaces, and there’s a lot of travel involved.     Probably not as bad as working a check out line, but worse than a lot of other jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The first round of that draft maybe one of worst ever.  They got just 5 guys make anal star.  Markakis, Rickie Weeks, Aron Hill, Chad Cordero, and Carlos Quantino.

Was the starting lineup rounded out by Alexis Texas, Tori Black, Lisa Ann, and Cory Chase. 😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...