Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

The 40 man roster will be a bottleneck this season

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Be that as it may, comparing what an executive vice president makes and what someone who is solely a GM makes isn't an accurate comparison.

Myself, I think contemplating ownership's willingness to spend is as valid a topic as anything else when we haven't had games since last October.

There are quite a few GM’s who hold EVP titles.    Not all, but a significant number.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are quite a few GM’s who hold EVP titles.    Not all, but a significant number.   

And how many are first time GMs?  Those contracts would be better comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And how many are first time GMs?  Those contracts would be better comparison. 

We don’t actually know what Elias makes, right?    So we really can’t compare them.  
Alex Avila holds the EVP title as a first time GM.     I’m pretty sure Rizzo did, but now he’s president of baseball ops.  

To really make a comparison you need to know if they’re the top person in baseball ops.    For example, Jed Hoyer is EVP and GM for the Cubs, but Theo is President of Baseball Ops.   Two guys can hold the same title but still have different responsibilities and places in the pecking order.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Can you remind me what responsibilities Elias has that Dan Duquette didn't have?    

He was able to get rid of Brady. He seems to clearly be in charge of Hyde, and he certainly seems to be able to engage in international recruitment, in control of the draft, and free to develop the infrastructures and interdepartmental communication as he chooses. That’s just off the top o’ me head.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don’t actually know what Elias makes, right?    So we really can’t compare them.  
Alex Avila holds the EVP title as a first time GM.     I’m pretty sure Rizzo did, but now he’s president of baseball ops.  

To really make a comparison you need to know if they’re the top person in baseball ops.    For example, Jed Hoyer is EVP and GM for the Cubs, but Theo is President of Baseball Ops.   Two guys can hold the same title but still have different responsibilities and places in the pecking order.    

 

I agree.

Which is why saying something like Elias is the highest paid first time GM isn't very meaningful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree.

Which is why saying something like Elias is the highest paid first time GM isn't very meaningful.

You’d need a lot more information.    Even so, if it’s a true statement I’d say it’s somewhat meaningful.    But it doesn’t really speak loudly about the owners’ overall willingness to spend.    Even the best GM’s make less than many players on a team.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Philip said:

Why not? He’s been pretty awful. Just another failed first round pick.

He’s been poor as a starter but it’s also been apparent that he should be a reliever long before the Os acquired him.

He has good upside as a reliever/opener.

He may never get there but he’s got a power arm with good potential and the idea of cutting him shouldn’t be on the table for at least a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Myself, I think contemplating ownership's willingness to spend is as valid a topic as anything else when we haven't had games since last October.

As is contemplating the foolishness of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing over hypothetical penny-pinching in 2023.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...