Jump to content
MurphDogg

Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Evidently it's a 2020 Braves move who just won 97 games, and have a young outfield of Acuna, Riley, and if not Nick Markakis then top prospect Cristian Pache. Oh and don't forget Inciarte and Ozuna.

But sure, keep telling me that Smith, Williams, and Wilkerson are suddenly in line for storied Orioles careers because we didn't sign Puig.

They get Ozuna’s bat without having to play him in the field.  Riley can play first until when/if Freeman gets back.  That’s a pretty strong lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Derek Lee.

Miggy II

Raffy II

Heck, even Eddie II

Doug Drabek, Fernando Valenzuela, Sid Fernandez

We were great at picking up guys who had their best years behind them.   Dwight Evans, Rick Burleson, Joe Carter, Ozzie Guillen.  Bob Horner never made it out of training camp.   The list is endless.

One of those names had a .393 OBP in his only year with the Orioles.  

Back then OBP wasnt discussed like it is now. 

I was suprised when I saw it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The point I was making is that I don't think the O's should be signing players for novelty value.  That's something Indie league clubs do.

Everything about 2020 is a novelty. I wasn't saying that was their reasoning, just that it would be a novelty for me to watch him. It would be different. You're right that they don't need to sign him (and didn't), but he would have been probably the top 3 best position players on the team and that's being generous to the rest of the team.

Also - I would have thought you'd be for the organization spending a little pocket money to make the team more interesting for fans. You could still play Mountcastle with Puig in RF and that would have been a fun outfield to go along with Hays. And then next year he's gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, interloper said:

Everything about 2020 is a novelty. I wasn't saying that was their reasoning, just that it would be a novelty for me to watch him. It would be different. You're right that they don't need to sign him (and didn't), but he would have been probably the top 3 best position players on the team and that's being generous to the rest of the team.

Also - I would have thought you'd be for the organization spending a little pocket money to make the team more interesting for fans. You could still play Mountcastle with Puig in RF and that would have been a fun outfield to go along with Hays. 

I want the team to be as efficient as possible.  I think the margin for error is very slim.

The Puig signing didn't seem very efficient to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I want the team to be as efficient as possible.  I think the margin for error is very slim.

The Puig signing didn't seem very efficient to me.

When I heard it I figured Santander may not be a sure thing. 

I bet they offered him next to nothing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

One of those names had a .393 OBP in his only year with the Orioles.  

Back then OBP wasnt discussed like it is now. 

I was suprised when I saw it.  

Have to admit I didn't remember that either.   I left guys like Eric Davis and Will Clark off the list on purpose because I remembered them as still having gas left in the tank when they got here, but I didn't remember Evans doing that well.   Of course he was a career power hitting corner outfielder and he showed no power that year with the Os (6 HRs in 329 ABs).   That's probably what stuck in my mind.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Have to admit I didn't remember that either.   I left guys like Eric Davis and Will Clark off the list on purpose because I remembered them as still having gas left in the tank when they got here, but I didn't remember Evans doing that well.   Of course he was a career power hitting corner outfielder and he showed no power that year with the Os (6 HRs in 329 ABs).   That's probably what stuck in my mind.

Same for me. His dWAR that year was bad also. Career wise he didn’t rate as well as I thought either.  

The guy all these years later - not a one year player - with the OBP that is crazy is Randy Milligan. He would have been a Moneyball type of a player a decade later.  Guy had a .388 OBP here over 4 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Hard to believe he would pick the Braves over the Orioles.

I laughed.  Funny AND efficient post.    

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I want the team to be as efficient as possible.  I think the margin for error is very slim.

The Puig signing didn't seem very efficient to me.

Agreed, not exactly efficient. I'm guessing they made a pretty lowball offer with that in mind. It's one thing to spend $3 mil on a shortstop when there's no heir apparent, it's another to spend that on a COF who you have plenty of, arguably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Mason Williams is only 8 months younger than Puig, don't need to see any more, he is who he is. Likewise with Wilkerson and Smith.

Looking forward to the other five guys getting hopefully all of the playing time in the outfield and hopefully some at first and DH.

Yep ...you’re right! Puig is worth 18 WAR in 7 season and Williams a big fat 0.00. In 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

One of those names had a .393 OBP in his only year with the Orioles.  

Back then OBP wasnt discussed like it is now. 

I was suprised when I saw it.  

Really? When was that? OBP and the Os being mostly part at it has been discussed most of the time I’ve been here. It was a reason I was pissed when they gave Villar away for dumpster fodder and passed on A Martin and drafted Kjerstad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agreed, not exactly efficient. I'm guessing they made a pretty lowball offer with that in mind. It's one thing to spend $3 mil on a shortstop when there's no heir apparent, it's another to spend that on a COF who you have plenty of, arguably.

How do we have plenty....they’ve been practicing with holes in the outfield. The guy would’ve been their best offensive player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • MLB Pipeline did a Top 10 on their podcast this week, including shreds on I guess NCAA sophomores who like Kjerstad in February/March may have done stuff for a few weeks.  It also acquainted me with the demographics of the basket where 1-5 will be one of them. Pirates 1 - Lawlar the HS shortstop Rangers 2 - Kumar Tigers 3 - McClain, some Madrigal-sized middle infielder from UCLA, maybe/maybe not SS Red Sox 4 - del Castillo, some slugging catcher from "The U" deemed best hitter in draft Orioles 5 - Leiter (I'd be glad with this outcome for polish going towards 2022 usefulness) D'Backs 6 - Jake Hill, the LSU right-hander, non-Vanderbilt best of SEC rest.   Guessing Ben may know him some. Royals 7 - Jud Zabian, Florida OF    <mock now at 6 straight NCAA after the high school SS character who seems impossible to get to 1-5> <hosts say these Top 7 are a clear tier in whatever order they fall> Rockies 8 - Alex Vanellas, Louisville 3B Angels 9 - Marcelo Mayer, high school SS #2 Mets 10 - James Wood, IMG Academy high school OF <nary a high school pitcher in these 10, though with draft pushed back to July, the Nick Bitsko analogs born in 2003 will have some extra time to strut their stuff, in case the next Kerry Wood, Josh Beckett or Dylan Bundy can only Netflix and chill right now>    
    • I would dangle him to anyone whi would take him. I didn't want him back at any cost let alone 1.8M
    • He is so streaky that when he is in his funk he will be worse than the MIF we run out there.
    • https://halohangout.com/2020/07/13/angels-garrett-stallings-summer-camp/ An Angels fansite report when he later got to their 60 this summer cites a curve as the Junior year difference maker. Their source for that this campus story https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Baseball-Vols-Garrett-Stallings-selected-in-fifth-round-of-MLB-Draft-132589216/ also has the details he was their 2019 Friday night guy even with Crochet on the team. His Perfect Game blurb from high school times mentioned three-quarters to over the top arm angle, gee whiz. Who knows if he could have had Kevin Smith's 2019 in parallel universe 2020?   SEC trade imports links them, but Smith actually doing it including a little AA success is a big credit in his favor for the moment.
    • He fits the Smith/Kjerstad mold of SEC guys steadily improving (Growth Mindset?), even if some of that is demonstrated in small sample sizes.   Smith did backup his Junior Year rise up draft boards with his great 2019 for the Mets.  I am imagining entering Junior year Stallings was not a 5th or 25th round profile.   He's one more piece for the box of chocolates we'll get to open in the spring.
    • I wonder if he had a velocity spike his junior year and if that would make it less likely for him to have untapped velocity?
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...