Pat Kelly

OPACY New Home of the Jays? Update (No. It is Buffalo.)

Makes more sense than the Pittsburgh plan. 8 days of conflict instead of 7 but being able to play in DC over the conflicted dates is more attractive than having to play somewhere else where flights and additional would be required under the Pittsburgh plan.

The most seamless set-up would be using Nationals Stadium in Washington for their games July 29-Aug. 2 and Aug 14-16, and Baltimore’s Camden Yards for the rest of the slate.

Put the whole team up at the Hilton, they have plenty of room, could probably commandeer their gym and conference centers for additional workout space and storage, since things would be limited with the Orioles using their home clubhouse the whole season.

Baltimore is also closer to all of the Blue Jays opponents than Pittsburgh is, including three games at Baltimore and two at the Nats, so their travel would be cut down significantly

The Pirates seem to actively be angling for it publicly though, which seems a little gauche, in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not.good with irony.  How is this ironic?

Is it like a free ride when you've already paid?

It was ironic when Mr. Play-it-Safe died in the plane crash, I felt.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Makes more sense than the Pittsburgh plan. 8 days of conflict instead of 7 but being able to play in DC over the conflicted dates is more attractive than having to play somewhere else where flights and additional would be required under the Pittsburgh plan.

Put the whole team up at the Hilton, they have plenty of room, could probably commandeer their gym and conference centers for additional workout space and storage, since things would be limited with the Orioles using their home clubhouse the whole season.

The Pirates are angling for it though.

Better there than here.

JULY 20, 3:18pm: The Pirates issued a statement Monday confirming they’re in “active discussions” with MLB and the Blue Jays about Toronto playing in Pittsburgh.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

More revenue for the team at a time where revenue isn’t being generated.

More like "more revenue for the Maryland Stadium Authority."  Why would the Orioles get that money?

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

More like "more revenue for the Maryland Stadium Authority."  Why would the Orioles get that money?

Because some sort of payment for the team would be part of the deal they agree to?

• Like 2

The Orioles announced over the weekend that all games, home and away, the MASN-TV broadcasters and Oriole radio network radio broadcasters would be do their broadcasts from the booths at Camden Yards.

So Garceau, Bordick, McDonals, Brown, etc would be in the Oriole Park booths even when the Orioles were on the road.  They'd have one workplace to report to, which is a ballpark where Covid protocols have been in force since July 1.

That would have to change completely if the Blue Jays were playing home games at OPACY when the Orioles were on the road.

• Upvote 1

Takes 7 of 30 road games off the schedule and moves them to Baltimore.  Limited travel gets even more limited with two trips to Boston, 1 to NY (Mets and Yankees) Tampa and Miami,  Buses to Philly and DC. 19/22 in Baltimore from Aug 14-Sep 6. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not.good with irony.  How is this ironic?

Is it like a free ride when you've already paid?

More like some good advice that you just didn't take.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Boy that's hard. Machado might cause us to win a World Series. Would have liked to have Weiters and Davis that postseason. We definitely would have won then I believe
    • Mejia is essentially Richie Martin.  I do like the idea of picking up Robertson and/or Adeiny Hechavarria. Going into camp with Martin, Valaika, Sanchez, Ruiz, Urias, and one or both of Robertson/Hechavarria should get us through the season.  We also have Stevie Wilkerson back in AAA,  and I suppose Bannon and McCoy are of that age of do or die; so they could get a shot. If the O's can spend 40 million over 4 years on the Korean SS Kim and spread the cash 3, 7, 10, 20 to alleviate the bill while we shed Cobb and Davis (would back loading it be attractive to a FA since Covid my cut into salaries again?).  I think its a good gamble because we are starting to build enough young SS depth in the system, yet it probably won't be truly developed for another 3 to 5 years.  When Kim's contract would be up, we would hopefully have a couple options ready in AAA/AA ready to go. Signing Kim would allow use to take a chance at being competitive in 2022 and 2023 while we wait for the our next star SS to develop for the long haul. If they go big and sign Kim, I would go with Sanchez at 2B and let Valaika, Ruiz, Martin, and Urias battle it out for 3B and a utility role or two.  You could still sign one of Robertson/Hechavarria to come in for that roster battle.  In the end, if you could space out Kim's contract, the next two seasons could still be fairly cost effective.  You are taking the risk on years 3 and 4.  If Kim ends up flopping that 20 million in year 4 would be a bummer, but at least the last few years of Davis and Cobb have softened that potential blow a little bit.  If we strike gold on Kim and our young pitching and position players start blossoming, it could get exciting by next season, which would be 2 years early based on my initial predictions with the rebuild.
    • I dont know about you all, but watching the stars of my youth playing out their careers while being an embarrassment to the game is absolutely heartbreaking to me.  I like how football does contracts with a portion being guaranteed and a portion, typically the last year or two not guaranteed.  Football contracts are typically much shorter.  I think it’s partially steroid related, but these baseball players seems to hit a cliff in their low 30s now.  Obviously this isn’t true for all players, but these massive contracts seem terrible for the game.     any thoughts on how to make baseball contracts better? The obvious answer would be to not give out foolish contracts, but that always happens as gms are understandably short sighted.  
    • Another gem.   Love hearing these stories of how it was in the old days.     https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-conversation-with-1960s-slugger-jim-gentile-part-one/ https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-conversation-with-1960s-slugger-jim-gentile-part-two/
    • Hope you are right.  Elias would probably go that high and Galvis would be a good defensive SS to have as an Oriole.
    • I’m going to guess that he will be lucky to get 2.5M this year and I would think that number will be high.
  • Popular Contributors