Julio Daniel "J.D." Martinez - DH

Rafael Devers Calcano - 3B

Xander Bogaerts - SS

Kevin Pillar - RF

Christian Vazquez - C

Michael Chavis - 1B

Jackie Bradley, Jr. - CF

Jose Francisco Peraza Polo - 2B

Nathan Edward Eovaldi - RHP )) (2-1, 5.99 ERA)

https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups

o

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Not the typical, potent lineup we've seen in the past from the Red Sox.  

No Mookie, obviously, since he's a Dodger. Big blow to them, like us losing Machado. Maybe even worse of a blow for the Sox.

22 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Not the typical, potent lineup we've seen in the past from the Red Sox.  

Verdugo and Moreland on the bench vs. our lefty starter. Lineup looks a little stronger if those guys are in. 

4 minutes ago, Bill Swaggerty said:

I can only watch on the NESN. Could somebody do Gary Thorne impressions for me?

No Gary this year.

O's are 16-3 in the last 19 Opening Days.   Pretty amazing, as we only had a winning team in 5 of those 19 years.

Last time the O's opened in Boston was 1966.   That year turned out OK.   Now we do it two years in a row (2020 and 2021).

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bill Swaggerty said:

I can only watch on the NESN. Could somebody do Gary Thorne impressions for me?

I'll drink like Thorne...

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Honestly, we don't have much more information and the lost season last year makes it even worse. He'll play at 19-years old and with so many high draft picks ahead of him needing playing time between Low-A and High-A, I suspect he will start the year in the GCL League.  With no NY-Penn League anymore, the Orioles will only have one rookie league team in the GCL Orioles so playing time will be at a premium. The 1st year player draft next year has been moved back to July 11-13 so that allows for some more playing time for guys. Now, the rub here is that the Orioles could choose to start Maikol Hernandez in the GCL if they think he's advanced enough to handle that. That could move Placencia to second base if the Orioles are high enough on him to bring him over to the states which considering the options right now, makes sense that they will.   
    • I really don't think service time games should ever be much of a concern for a pitcher.  If they're ready, get them up here.  Of course, that also assumes that winning games at the MLB level is important you, which is clearly not the case for the 2021 Orioles. As others have mentioned I would think Elias would want Baumann to see time at AAA regardless of service time issues.  I think you see him pitch there for about half the season (depending on what happens with the minors) and then brought up in the 2nd half if he's effective.
    • I just wonder if the Cubs knew it and hid it.  
    • A guy I would like to sign this offseason is Carl Lawson.  If Cinci doesn’t sign/franchise him, it will be interesting to see what he signs for.
    • In other words, why the hell not?  You already say you don’t care about winning games in 2021, so why some dime a dozen, bargain basement pitcher when you can go with what you have? And before someone says it, no this isn’t “rushing” Baumann.
    • gauche:  lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward.  🙂 Sorry for being the dictionary police, but do you just look for impressive sounding words to use here?  Really, how can a list fit that definition?  
    • Elias has typically been very methodical when it comes to promotions once a player hits A-ball and he did not show any inclination to "rush" a player up the chain or to the big leagues before putting in some time and success at a previous level. Michael Baumann has just 13 AA appearances (70 IP) so it's easy to just think Elias would want him to have success at AAA before having him compete for a big league job. One could also think that Elias would prefer an extra year of control for a pitcher with the upside of Baumann.  My argument to that is two fold with Baumann. First, Baumann will pitch at 25 years old next year which means he'll be 31 when he's eligible for free agency. That to me suggests that player control will not be an issue. The second part is that Baumann was considered by several observers as the best pitcher at the alternate camp before coming down with elbow discomfort. To me, those were like AAA starts with the talent level of the hitters in camp for the most part so in Elias' head, he could be thinking he's gotten that AAA experience. The rotation this year barring injury should start with Means and Cobb, with Akin and Kremer having the inside track to the next two spots. Saying that, it's not like akin and Kremer can come into camp and just be terrible and get a spot, so I'd say they have spots as long as they don't implode in the spring.  The last spot has these candidates right now: Zimmermann Baumann Jorge Lopez Ashton Goudeau Mac Sceroler Alexander Wells Baumann is clearly the best pitcher of these options though I think Zimmemann is better than what we saw last year since he had missed some time due to COVID along with the long layoff from the spring where he was throwing the ball well. One more thing about Elias doing things out of his norm is that AA and A ball will begin about a month late due to COVID concerns at spring training. This means we could see some players, potentially Rutschman, jumped  to AAA in order to get them playing time. Rutschman was reportedly one of the best hitters at the alternate camp against the upper level pitching so it might not be a stretch to see him start the year in Norfolk and if he's not doing well, moved back to Bowie when their season starts.  
  • Popular Contributors