Jump to content
MurphDogg

Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

Recommended Posts

The guy who led the vote as to whether to play the Phillies on Sunday is one of the 15 to test positive.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its gonna be hard to have a meaningful season even if this is just somehow limited to the Marlins.  If those 15 are all genuine COVID infections, even if only mild cases, you are probably talking about a mimimum three weeks before those players and coaches and come back and not be contagious.  There is no way you could make up three weeks of baseball with the timeline the MLB wants to keep.  So let's say you end the Marlins season, but try to have the rest of the teams play it out. Do the games against the Phillies count?  How would they balance out the schedule? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My obvious idea is bring discussed! As I said, it makes zero sense for the Phillies to not play and not have the Yankees play the Orioles.

The Marlins play the Phillies 9/10-9/13 on the same dates the Orioles play the Yankees, so they could even have the Orioles play the Marlins and the Phillies play the Yankees on two of those days to even the schedule back out somewhat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Its gonna be hard to have a meaningful season even if this is just somehow limited to the Marlins.  If those 15 are all genuine COVID infections, even if only mild cases, you are probably talking about a mimimum three weeks before those players and coaches and come back and not be contagious.  There is no way you could make up three weeks of baseball with the timeline the MLB wants to keep.  So let's say you end the Marlins season, but try to have the rest of the teams play it out. Do the games against the Phillies count?  How would they balance out the schedule? 

There is no balance to the schedule this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question:   is the service time gaming thing based on days in the majors or games?

In other words, if we don't play until the weekend, can we bring up Mountastle for the Tampa series, or does he have to be down 5 or 6 or whatever GAMES which would mean after the Tampa series?

(I know, he's really down there to work on his defense and will be up once he has adequately mastered the art of left field.   But humor me and answer the question anyway!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

There is no way it is just about going to the city of Miami.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all super embarrassing for Rob Manfred. Clown-shoes ass commish, man. Guy's got a full on mutiny on his hands at this point. Everyone can sense the leadership void and they're taking it into their own hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Question:   is the service time gaming thing based on days in the majors or games?

In other words, if we don't play until the weekend, can we bring up Mountastle for the Tampa series, or does he have to be down 5 or 6 or whatever GAMES which would mean after the Tampa series?

(I know, he's really down there to work on his defense and will be up once he has adequately mastered the art of left field.   But humor me and answer the question anyway!)

Days. Players are still drawing their paycheck this week. They don't change the rules for two teams when an entire early April series is rained out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is all super embarrassing for Rob Manfred. Clown-shoes ass commish, man. Guy's got a full on mutiny on his hands at this point. Everyone can sense the leadership void and they're taking it into their own hands.

Having looked closely at publicly available material concerning Manfred''s handling of the MASN dispute, his report on the Astros' cheating, and his negotiation over the length of the 2020 season, I doubt the guy is capable of embarrassment.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MurphDogg said:

Still not official,. but that seems to be where we are headed.

Hoping they cancel the season before this happens so we can hold onto our winning record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • People (including me) have been focused on losing that spot for Rule 5 protection if we retain Davis this winter, but it also impacts us every time we make a waiver claim and have to DFA someone to open up a spot for the claimed player.    
    • Seems just like the old SG to take a few quotes and then start bashing our FO and ownership for "dumb" things. IMO, the most telling quote in the link was also the one ME explained.  The revenue situation is uncertain.  ME is quoted as saying, "We can't estimate our revenue, our attendance ....  We can't estimate various things that we look at when we look at a player or roster budget."  In light of such uncertainty, it is quite a leap to say the FO is dumb for not pursuing a particular player - in this case, Stroman.  Most prudent, well-run businesses would operate in such as manner given the uncertainty. There are multiple ways to save $ with Chris Davis including his negotiating a settlement for possible retirement, a shortened season, etc.  All of these things are more important today than opening up Davis' roster spot.  Let's see what happens.  
    • Also, if we keep Cobb through the winter, we will need the spot for rule 5 protection.
    • It is a happy fact that I think the Orioles will be good enough next year that they won’t need him. They need good infield defense and he doesn’t provide that.
    • Some final defensive numbers: Rtot: +15 (6th in MLB) Rdrs: -3 (19th in MLB)  UZR: -5.4 (21st in MLB) Fangraphs defense: -4.4 (21st in MLB)  Fielding %: .980 (27th in MLB) Overall, a bit better than last year but below average unless you want to believe Rtot.   
    • o   GAME ONE )))))) (First Round)   CHICAGO WHITE S OX Some Guy - CF Some Guy - LF Some Guy - RF Some Guy - DH Some Guy - 3B Some Guy - 2B Some Guy - SS Some Guy - 1B Some Guy - C Lucas Frost Giolito - RHP )) (4-3, 3.48 ERA)   OAKLAND A THLETICS Some Guy - CF Some Guy - LF Some Guy - RF Some Guy - DH Some Guy - 3B Some Guy - 2B Some Guy - SS Some Guy - 1B Some Guy - C Jesus G. Luzardo - LHP )) (3-2, 4.12 ERA)   https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups   o
    • The first tiebreaker was division record, even though they played in different divisions.  I guess since all games were East vs East, Central vs Central, West vs West... Division record = league record. If that was tied then it was record in final 20 division (league) games. If that was tied then record in final 21 div games, the. 22, the n23, and so on. Kind of silly but those are the rules.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...