Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MurphDogg

Update: Chris Davis missed two games with sinus infection, has recovered

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

Davis could rejoin the team tonight: https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/07/davis-could-return-to-orioles-tonight.html

Being held out as a precautionary measure because he was running a low fever believed to be related to his sinuses.  Has had multiple negative COVID-19 tests.  Print the playoff tickets. 

Which is what I said the other day, out of abundance of caution, he is held out.

Just like many of us, working daily has to assess our medical health each morning before going in.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El_Duderino said:

The contract wasn’t even good on the front end. Ultimately we don’t know what the team would have looked like then or now if the money was allocated elsewhere. As far as I’m concerned he deserves the derision he gets, given his absolute stubbornness over the last few years to even admit his situation and make changes.

I just don't think he's a team player at all. He made no real effort to make changes in his approach or work on other parts of his game. He won't bunt or work on bunting because it's "not his game" because hitting under .200 while cashing undeserved paychecks is his game. He's just been on cruise control for years now. He got his career payday, so who cares? That's what I feel from him.

Even if making changes wouldn't have yielded any results, at least showing you're making an effort and actually care about and are aware of the quality of your performance would help a lot. Sometimes, guys just flame out early and there's not much you can do about it. Such potential futures and risks go with the territory of being an athlete.  It's more his attitude and unwillingness to acknowledge or even try, to any serious degree, to find something that works even if it means a complete reinvention of himself as a player. Instead, we get something resembling apathy.

I don't know (or care to know) anything about him personally nor is that even necessary to make valid criticisms of him. The good news is he's not really holding us back or hurting us in any meaningful way. He's an anchor on the Titanic; this boat sunk years ago and is in no danger of resurfacing anytime soon. He'll be long gone by the time that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you have to pay for those cardboard cutouts, wonder if the Mets (or Boston or other teams) would let you send in your picture in your ORIOLES gear? 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Gm8fJRcE6RnNTZ8iushXML.jpg

o

 

All of the people that the Beatles thought were great ........ Sonny Liston, Bob Dylan, Karl Marx, Albert Einstein, Johnny Weissmuller, Laurel and Hardy, etc.

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sessh said:

I just don't think he's a team player at all. He made no real effort to make changes in his approach or work on other parts of his game. He won't bunt or work on bunting because it's "not his game" because hitting under .200 while cashing undeserved paychecks is his game. He's just been on cruise control for years now. He got his career payday, so who cares? That's what I feel from him.

Even if making changes wouldn't have yielded any results, at least showing you're making an effort and actually care about and are aware of the quality of your performance would help a lot. Sometimes, guys just flame out early and there's not much you can do about it. Such potential futures and risks go with the territory of being an athlete.  It's more his attitude and unwillingness to acknowledge or even try, to any serious degree, to find something that works even if it means a complete reinvention of himself as a player. Instead, we get something resembling apathy.

I don't know (or care to know) anything about him personally nor is that even necessary to make valid criticisms of him. The good news is he's not really holding us back or hurting us in any meaningful way. He's an anchor on the Titanic; this boat sunk years ago and is in no danger of resurfacing anytime soon. He'll be long gone by the time that happens.

1. He has mentioned in several instances in the past trying to work on different approaches with hitting coaches, most notably on interviews on MLB network.

2.  His ST was going well and he said he focused on different things to change his approach.

3.  He is not the only person to not bunt.  Often times its the team that makes the decision that bunting is not the approach they want to take with their power hitters, not the power hitters themselves.

4.  Someone hands me a paycheck for a negotiated salary I am cashing it.

5.  He is a professional athlete, of course he cares about his performance. You are drawing conclusions about his mindset from his performance, and yet ignoring evidence about his mindset from interviews.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sessh said:

I just don't think he's a team player at all. He made no real effort to make changes in his approach or work on other parts of his game. He won't bunt or work on bunting because it's "not his game" because hitting under .200 while cashing undeserved paychecks is his game. He's just been on cruise control for years now. He got his career payday, so who cares? That's what I feel from him.

Even if making changes wouldn't have yielded any results, at least showing you're making an effort and actually care about and are aware of the quality of your performance would help a lot. Sometimes, guys just flame out early and there's not much you can do about it. Such potential futures and risks go with the territory of being an athlete.  It's more his attitude and unwillingness to acknowledge or even try, to any serious degree, to find something that works even if it means a complete reinvention of himself as a player. Instead, we get something resembling apathy.

I don't know (or care to know) anything about him personally nor is that even necessary to make valid criticisms of him. The good news is he's not really holding us back or hurting us in any meaningful way. He's an anchor on the Titanic; this boat sunk years ago and is in no danger of resurfacing anytime soon. He'll be long gone by the time that happens.

Retweet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

1. He has mentioned in several instances in the past trying to work on different approaches with hitting coaches, most notably on interviews on MLB network.

2.  His ST was going well and he said he focused on different things to change his approach.

3.  He is not the only person to not bunt.  Often times its the team that makes the decision that bunting is not the approach they want to take with their power hitters, not the power hitters themselves.

4.  Someone hands me a paycheck for a negotiated salary I am cashing it.

5.  He is a professional athlete, of course he cares about his performance. You are drawing conclusions about his mindset from his performance, and yet ignoring evidence about his mindset from interviews.

 

He has stated several times he doesn’t think a swing overhaul is worth it, he has maligned the shift, his bad luck on hard hit balls. All smacks of a guy who doesn’t get it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

He has stated several times he doesn’t think a swing overhaul is worth it, he has maligned the shift, his bad luck on hard hit balls. All smacks of a guy who doesn’t get it...

Define overhaul.

Has the shift not hurt him?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Define overhaul.

Has the shift not hurt him?  

Exactly, he's clearly communicated working on different things and making tweaks. An overhaul that consists of tearing down his whole swing (that got him to the show in the first place, where he had enormous success at points) and starting over just doesn't fit with where he is in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...