baltfan

Lineup is Pretty Good

Nunez and Ruiz showing some pop. Alberto is a guy that seems like he is always going to get a hit. Iglesias is Mr. Double.  Hays still looks like he will break out.  No one seems like an automatic out.  I am conflicted because I think we still need to lose, but it’s fun watching guys not being constantly overmatched. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

It's certainly not a terrible lineup.  I think that they might be prone to extended slumps and run scoring droughts and there aren't a lot of OBP guys.

But there's some pop.  I really like Alberto, too.

But what's missing, really, is household names and that's a byproduct of these guys not being around long enough to get known.

• Upvote 1

If Hays starts hitting and they call up Mountcastle the lineup could be fun to watch.  Hope Rio's hot bat continues because he seems to play a solid 3rd. 

We've scored at least 5 runs in 5 of our 7 games, including games started by Glasnow and Snell.   

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

If Hays starts hitting and they call up Mountcastle the lineup could be fun to watch.  Hope Rio's hot bat continues because he seems to play a solid 3rd. 

I really like Rio. He reminds me of Eric Chavez, probably because he plays 3B and slightly resembles him... either way, I like what I see out of the kid. 

I'm optimistic that Mountcastle is going to allow the lineup to take the next step.

Once Adley joins the fun, hopefully in 2021, we could really be looking at something competitive.

There are some ML hitters and a lot of potential. But to give some perspective, only Hanser Alberto would crack the lineup of the 2014 AL East Champion team.

The hitting as been good.  I think its significant that Iglesias has been out but not really missed because Velezquez and Valaika can both play SS.    When the O's pitching catches up to the hitting that will be something real enjoyable to watch.   However Milone starts today.  We probably see Eshelman pitch more innings than Milone.   That is just my guess.

Something to watch is now many consecutive days relievers pitch.  

6 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I'm optimistic that Mountcastle is going to allow the lineup to take the next step.

Once Adley joins the fun, hopefully in 2021, we could really be looking at something competitive.

So when are we going to see Mountcastle? The Blue Jays played the service time game with Pearson and he's already up.

• Upvote 1

Ah, you’ve got to love the annual early season small sample takes. This year we get them for the whole season! 

Here are the guys on the team that came into 2019 projected to produce at a level above their positional average in a full season:

A good lineup would probably have a few more. The team is bad, and that’s ok. In a 60 game season who is actually good or bad doesn’t matter all that much. It’s a two month sample. The 2005 team would have won the AL East in a 60 game season. Last years World Series Champs wouldn’t have made the playoffs in a 60 game season. This season is a big bowl of nothing for establishing player or team talent levels. If Hanser Alberto hits .350 or Austin Hays hits .220 for two months it won’t change my opinion of either going forward. 

46 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Ah, you’ve got to love the annual early season small sample takes. This year we get them for the whole season! 

Here are the guys on the team that came into 2019 projected to produce at a level above their positional average in a full season:

A good lineup would probably have a few more. The team is bad, and that’s ok. In a 60 game season who is actually good or bad doesn’t matter all that much. It’s a two month sample. The 2005 team would have won the AL East in a 60 game season. Last years World Series Champs wouldn’t have made the playoffs in a 60 game season. This season is a big bowl of nothing for establishing player or team talent levels. If Hanser Alberto hits .350 or Austin Hays hits .220 for two months it won’t change my opinion of either going forward. 

Last years World Series Champion wouldn’t have made the postseason for most of MLB history.  Just saying.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

what's missing, really, is household names and that's a byproduct of these guys not being around long enough to get known.

Reminiscent of the 1989 overachievers, in that respect. Fun to watch and root for!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

The hitting as been good.  I think its significant that Iglesias has been out but not really missed because Velezquez and Valaika can both play SS.    When the O's pitching catches up to the hitting that will be something real enjoyable to watch.   However Milone starts today.  We probably see Eshelman pitch more innings than Milone.   That is just my guess.

Something to watch is now many consecutive days relievers pitch.  

But as @Can_of_corn cogently surmises, at least they are "reliably poor", so we don't expect much, can go to bed early and wake up to the news!  As an old fart, I can dig it!