Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
brvn52

Could Elias Keep Mountcastle Down All Year?

Recommended Posts

After reading Connelly’s column today, it sounds like there’s no timetable for a Mountcastle debut. Personally, I don’t think Mountcastle is a big enough prospect to play service time games with. However, could Elias think it’s worth keeping Mountcastle down for the final 50-55 games of 2020 and the first few weeks of 2021? In theory, waiting about 75 games (in 2020-21) would buy 162 games of service time (in 2027). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

After reading Connelly’s column today, it sounds like there’s no timetable for a Mountcastle debut. Personally, I don’t think Mountcastle is a big enough prospect to play service time games with. However, could Elias think it’s worth keeping Mountcastle down for the final 50-55 games of 2020 and the first few weeks of 2021? In theory, waiting about 75 games (in 2020-21) would buy 162 games of service time (in 2027). 

I know I'd love to pay arb 4 prices for a 30 year old right handed LF/1B/DH.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know I'd love to pay arb 4 prices for a 30 year old right handed LF/1B/DH.

You have the option. If he doesn’t progress you can non-tender him. In theory, waiting 75 games gives you the option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think it's more likely Elias is seeing whether MLB can get the covid situation under control. 

No reason to call up Mountcastle and burn a year of service time for a season that gets cancelled. 

That’s a good call. I hadn’t thought of that angle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brvn52 said:

You have the option. If he doesn’t progress you can non-tender him. In theory, waiting 75 games gives you the option. 

He'll be a 30 year old right handed bat first guy.

So very few of them are valuable that it isn't worth playing games for.

Call the kid up, let him get a decent paycheck and health insurance.  Maybe get a chance at a decent FA deal down the road.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He'll be a 30 year old right handed bat first guy.

So very few of them are valuable that it isn't worth playing games for.

Call the kid up, let him get a decent paycheck and health insurance.  Maybe get a chance at a decent FA deal down the road.

I agree that I don’t think it’s worth playing service time games. My question was if Elias could be considering holding him out another 75 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I agree that I don’t think it’s worth playing service time games. My question was if Elias could be considering holding him out another 75 games. 

I think the potential reward for holding him back as long as he has is very small.  I think if you push that back another year it's laughably small and it won't be Elias that gets to reap the reward.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the potential reward for holding him back as long as he has is very small.  I think if you push that back another year it's laughably small and it won't be Elias that gets to reap the reward.

 

Fair enough. I hear you. What do you think Elias’ reason for continuing to keep Mountcastle down is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our outfield is so bad right now that I think Mountcastle would almost certainly help. DJ Stewart shouldn't get too much more time to make adjustments, and even with Mountcastle it isn't like Santander/Hays/Mountcastle are a sure (or even decent) bet to be anything more than average. He's not some can't miss prospect either, so I don't know why we aren't calling him up to see what he can do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brvn52 said:

Fair enough. I hear you. What do you think Elias’ reason for continuing to keep Mountcastle down is?

Could be Covid concerns.  Maybe it's a behavior issue?  (PURE SPECULATION)

I do think Elias tries to play for margins that just aren't worth the trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could be Covid concerns.  Maybe it's a behavior issue?  (PURE SPECULATION)

I do think Elias tries to play for margins that just aren't worth the trouble.

Gotcha. I trust Elias. And I want to see Mountcastle. Hopefully we get to see him sooner than later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He'll be a 30 year old right handed bat first guy.

So very few of them are valuable that it isn't worth playing games for.

Call the kid up, let him get a decent paycheck and health insurance.  Maybe get a chance at a decent FA deal down the road.

MAybe he'll be that special 30 year old bat. That keeps hitting until he is 43. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, weams said:

MAybe he'll be that special 30 year old bat. That keeps hitting until he is 43. 

It won't be for Elias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • We’d probably know a lot more right now if they’d actually played a season this year.    I’m hoping Tony can ferret out some honest information about what the guys who made it to Fall Instructs are showing.   
    • While having success at higher levels or the minor leagues or even in a taste of the big league is part of the evaluation process and lessens the risk profile of players, it is not the only criteria for placement on the list above another prospect. If you concerned over him being behind Kevin Smith, I'll tell you, I could have easily built a case for either to be above the other. They are very similar prospects as their scouting grades would show you. Smith gets the slight nod for being at more advance stage when he was 22 than Zimmermann was and for the the better slider command that gives him a better chance at his floor.
    • That’s not the way these guys get graded.   Yes you get some credit for how high you’ve gotten in the system, but ultimately the grades are about (1) your expected outcome, and (2) your ceiling.   Zimmermann has made it to the majors, which is great, but his most likely role is a swing man.   Other guys have more potential, if less certainty of reaching the majors.     That said, almost every guy on the list from no. 12 through no. 26 has been graded 45 FV/50 ceiling, so we are really splitting hairs here.   The only exceptions are Baumler and Mayo (both graded 50/60) who haven’t played beyond high school yet so there’s a lot of uncertainty there, and Hernaiz (45/55) who hasn’t played above the GCL.   Those are guys who could move up or down the list pretty significantly next year.     
    • A million for Tommy Milone? He’ll be lucky to get a minor league contract from someone. 
    • o   You better take a diamond ring ...... you better pawn it, babe.   o
    • The write up makes me think that he is not a starter that Hyde would want to rely on every 5th day.  Maybe more of a swingman.  So that makes it more likely the O's sign a Milone type to begin the season or maybe Milone himself if they can get him for a million for one year.
    • o   That's somewhat of a rare song in which Lennon and Harrison switched on and off for the lead and rhythm. Lennon essentially plays lead for the majority of the song, while Harrison strums the chords. Then for the lead guitar solo it's Harrison playing lead, while Lennon briefly strums the chords. Then at the end of the solo, Lennon goes back to (essentially) playing lead while Harrison strums the chords.   Somewhat similarly, in the song "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" it's Lennon playing the dominant portion of the guitar (strumming/picking extremely fast) while Harrison strums the chords ...... the difference being that unlike the case with "All My Loving", there is no guitar solo in "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You."   o
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...