Sign in to follow this  
brvn52

Could Elias Keep Mountcastle Down All Year?

Plenty of top prospects still not called up - Dylan Carlson, Gavin Lux and many others.  

I'd like to see Mountcastle added and gaining experience at the MLB level.  I hope he will be up soon.

• Upvote 1

I heard he has not been impressive with the bat in the "intrasquad games" so not sure if that has anything to do with it as well. 

Personally, I'd like to see him come up.

3 hours ago, weams said:

MAybe he'll be that special 30 year old bat. That keeps hitting until he is 43. 

That guy is already playing for the twins.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It won't be for Elias.

I’ll bite on your second fish hook in this thread. We have no way of knowing how long Elias’ tenure will be. Let it play out, let it play out. At least he seems to have a plan he’s sticking to and there are some huge positive changes he’s instilled (IFA activity, analytics, an aggressively unapologetic tanking strategy.)

1 minute ago, joelala said:

I’ll bite on your second fish hook in this thread. We have no way of knowing how long Elias’ tenure will be. Let it play out, let it play out. At least he seems to have a plan he’s sticking to and there are some huge positive changes he’s instilled (IFA activity, analytics, an aggressively unapologetic tanking strategy.)

I'm not suggesting he's in danger of getting fired but odds are good if the O's are poor, good or great under his tenure he won't be around in 2027. 

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not suggesting he's in danger of getting fired but odds are good if the O's are poor, good or great under his tenure he won't be around in 2027. 

I would say if we are good or great there’s decent odds he still is. An 8 year tenure certainly isn’t unprecedented 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I heard he has not been impressive with the bat in the "intrasquad games" so not sure if that has anything to do with it as well. 

Personally, I'd like to see him come up.

Well, there are a few players who haven't been impressive with the bat in the "MLB games" either. 😂

5 minutes ago, joelala said:

I would say if we are good or great there’s decent odds he still is. An 8 year tenure certainly isn’t unprecedented 

If the team is great I expect him to leave for a higher profile job.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Plausible, certainly. 

I think Mountcastle's service time issues are behind him.  The first 7 games, Sure.  But I don't see them keeping him down all of the 202 season.

In fact, I could see him called up for the doubleheader this week.  I asked the question "How long can Stewart keep Mountcastle down."   I think the answer is  "Its time."    Stewart can be optioned.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How often does that happen?   A guy doing a great job but leaving, at least leaving before he has won a championship?

This isn't college football where success at Bowling Green gets you a job at Utah and success at Utah gets you the job at Florida.

What jobs are such higher prestige that they raid a good MLB team for their #1 guy?   Much more likely is that we would have success and a #2 guy would get a #1 job somewhere else.

I know Toronto made a move on Duquette but that was a rarity and it failed (and they were technically offering him a higher position, based on title).

Epstein won it all in Boston and then went looking for a new challenge.   That was also a pretty rare situation.

I don't see much chance of Elias having success and moving on to a "bigger job".    That's something I worry about with my basketball coach at Virginia Tech, but I don't think it applies in MLB.   If Elias isn't here in 2026, I believe it will be because he failed in the rebuild.   With a slight possibility that some external factor (personal, illness, retirement, etc) forced him to leave.   Him doing really well and getting hired away by the Yankees isn't even on my radar.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

How often does that happen?   A guy doing a great job but leaving, at least leaving before he has won a championship?

This isn't college football where success at Bowling Green gets you a job at Utah and success at Utah gets you the job at Florida.

What jobs are such higher prestige that they raid a good MLB team for their #1 guy?   Much more likely is that we would have success and a #2 guy would get a #1 job somewhere else.

I know Toronto made a move on Duquette but that was a rarity and it failed (and they were technically offering him a higher position, based on title).

Epstein won it all in Boston and then went looking for a new challenge.   That was also a pretty rare situation.

I don't see much chance of Elias having success and moving on to a "bigger job".    That's something I worry about with my basketball coach at Virginia Tech, but I don't think it applies in MLB.   If Elias isn't here in 2026, I believe it will be because he failed in the rebuild.   With a slight possibility that some external factor (personal, illness, retirement, etc) forced him to leave.   Him doing really well and getting hired away by the Yankees isn't even on my radar.

Friedman left without a ring.

I could see Elias leaving for a larger market when his contract is up if offers are out there.

Higher profile gig, more money, larger budget.  Why wouldn't he consider it?