Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Elias: emulating the Rays?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

He hasn’t made that many trades, but remember, his goal is to make the future team better. His goal might very well be to deliberately make the current team worse because the third draft pick is more valuable than the 15th, so if he can trade a good reliever now for a guy who might be good in 5 years, he will do it.

And to get payroll as low as feasibly possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And to get payroll as low as feasibly possible.

I'm sure he doesn't want to waste payroll on a bad season, but trading Bleier's pro-rated $915k to bring up a guy making pro-rated $563k doesn't really move the needle. If this was that important then surely someone would take Givens for nothing and Iglesias would be somewhere else.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, makoman said:

I'm sure he doesn't want to waste payroll on a bad season, but trading Bleier's pro-rated $915k to bring up a guy making pro-rated $563k doesn't really move the needle. If this was that important then surely someone would take Givens for nothing and Iglesias would be somewhere else.

I was talking more about stuff like the Villar and Bundy trades.  I'm specially skeptical of the return for Bundy.  It looks like a salary dump move.

Iglesias is why I said feasibly.  The team really needed an actual shortstop and he was an inexpensive addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

  I'm specially skeptical of the return for Bundy.  It looks like a salary dump move.

 

You would have no data to base that on other than Bundy's resurgence with a different pitching coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weams said:

You would have no data to base that on other than Bundy's resurgence with a different pitching coach. 

I'm not buying into Bundy's "resurgence" quite yet.  I'm going off of Data, the fact that Bundy has been close to league average and has been pretty durable the last few years.  I think that's worth more than what the O's got in return if you are willing to pay him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not buying into Bundy's "resurgence" quite yet.  I'm going off of Data, the fact that Bundy has been close to league average and has been pretty durable the last few years.  I think that's worth more than what the O's got in return if you are willing to pay him.

How would you know what was received back? There is no data whatsoever. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weams said:

How would you know what was received back? There is no data whatsoever. 

Quote

The Angels made their first offseason addition to their starting rotation on Wednesday, acquiring right-hander Dylan Bundy from the Orioles for Minor League right-handers Isaac Mattson, Zach Peek, Kyle Bradish and Kyle Brnovich.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dylan-bundy-traded-to-angels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weams said:

Funny. Who are any of them today? Anyway, I am very sure that we wanted to avoid paying Dylan. SO you win. Even if one of those arms pitches well for the Orioles at any point. 

Weren't you a fan of the two 16th round picks the O's got for Matusz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Weren't you a fan of the two 16th round picks the O's got for Matusz?

I'm not certain. I like to watch all new prospects actually play for an Orioles affiliate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

He hasn’t made that many trades, but remember, his goal is to make the future team better. His goal might very well be to deliberately make the current team worse because the third draft pick is more valuable than the 15th, so if he can trade a good reliever now for a guy who might be good in 5 years, he will do it.

Phil ... I would never judge whether the team is better now after a trade for a rebuilding club.

 

Also he has had some trade pieces .....

 

He gave away Yaz that many here are upset about and got Tyler Herb (28) and had a 6+ ERA at AA last year (LOST)

Traded INT SLOTS for Broxton (was only here a short time) from the Giants (Certainly didn't win that trade)

Cashner deal ..... Really young Dominican non-prospects for a pitcher going to a contender for a playoff run (LOST)

Villar .... Easton Lucas is all he could get ... A low round (19th) with a terrible college ERA. He's actually been okay. Just under 4 ERA (LOST)

Bundy ... Despite being 25 Mattson is only the current 60 man ...but not on the 40.       (Too Early too tell)

                Peek is 22 and DNP last year after being drafted. He was a 4.00 ERA pitcher at Winthrop and is likely only filler

                Brnovich is another 22 year old drafted last year out of Elon

                Bradish (Only player ranked in our top 30 at #20) He's also 22

 

The Bundy is the best of the deals ....I think the returns for Cashner and Villar were poor!

 

Quote

2019-20 Offseason

2019 Season

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

 

Cashner deal ..... Really young Dominican non-prospects for a pitcher going to a contender for a playoff run (LOST)

This part alone tells me you either aren't assessing these transactions in good faith, or you simply didn't pay any attention at all to who Cashner is as a player.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Phil ... I would never judge whether the team is better now after a trade for a rebuilding club.

 

Also he has had some trade pieces .....

 

He gave away Yaz that many here are upset about and got Tyler Herb (28) and had a 6+ ERA at AA last year (LOST)

Traded INT SLOTS for Broxton (was only here a short time) from the Giants (Certainly didn't win that trade)

Cashner deal ..... Really young Dominican non-prospects for a pitcher going to a contender for a playoff run (LOST)

Villar .... Easton Lucas is all he could get ... A low round (19th) with a terrible college ERA. He's actually been okay. Just under 4 ERA (LOST)

Bundy ... Despite being 25 Mattson is only the current 60 man ...but not on the 40.       (Too Early too tell)

                Peek is 22 and DNP last year after being drafted. He was a 4.00 ERA pitcher at Winthrop and is likely only filler

                Brnovich is another 22 year old drafted last year out of Elon

                Bradish (Only player ranked in our top 30 at #20) He's also 22

 

The Bundy is the best of the deals ....I think the returns for Cashner and Villar were poor!

 

 

I appreciate the info, But you are missing a couple of important facts, the most important of which is that most of the returns we got our guys who were several years away.

Mike went for future potential, Knowing that some of that potential would be lost. Also, remember what he was trading away. I don’t need to list the faults of all the players we traded, But they were well known.

Also remember that Mike has a specific desire to keep the team bad. He doesn’t care if we win 50 games instead of 45, but he damn sure doesn’t want us to win 70 instead of 50. I think that is brutal logic, but I do understand it.

It cannot be stressed enough that draft picks are the best way to improve your team. Mike wants a single digit draft pick, preferably top five. If he has to give away our only two good guys To do it, he will do it, and we will scream.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I appreciate the info, But you are missing a couple of important facts, the most important of which is that most of the returns we got our guys who were several years away.

Mike went for future potential, Knowing that some of that potential would be lost. Also, remember what he was trading away. I don’t need to list the faults of all the players we traded, But they were well known.

Also remember that Mike has a specific desire to keep the team bad. He doesn’t care if we win 50 games instead of 45, but he damn sure doesn’t want us to win 70 instead of 50. I think that is brutal logic, but I do understand it.

It cannot be stressed enough that draft picks are the best way to improve your team. Mike wants a single digit draft pick, preferably top five. If he has to give away our only two good guys To do it, he will do it, and we will scream.

And yet he didn't trade Mancini. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 124 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Just because a player is worth a certain amount of money according to WAR, doesn't mean teams are going to line up to pay a player that amount. A win is worth what, $8 or $9 million according to WAR? So according to that formula, Nunez is worth somewhere between $4 and $9 million. But most teams don't pay players worth two wins or less anything near their market rate. Sure, there might be an exception or two, or someone might be worth two wins or less who's finishing out an expensive contract that was priced based on them being worth more wins than that. Successful teams (without enormous budgets, and even then they still generally don't do this) pay free agent stars and superstars their market worth by WAR, and try to get the two win and under guys for dirt cheap to fill out the roster. This is what is meant by WAR not being linear. Guys like Renato Nunez aren't going to sign for anywhere from $4-$9 million, because it's not hard to stumble around in your farm system or on waivers and find guys for league minimum who have a good chance to be worth a similar amount. All of MLB just passed on the opportunity to pay Nunez a $2-$3 million salary and control his rights for two more seasons after next for the cost of a waiver claim. I imagine if he signs with a team, it will be for less than that amount. You can talk until you're blue in the face about how the formula dictates he's worth that, but if no one is willing to pay a price because they can get the same thing for less money somewhere else, then it's asinine to insist that they should have paid him $2-$3 million And come on. I don't think the Orioles are unique in their DH situation, and they've got a ton of corner outfielders and first basemen who need bats. We weren't the only team with "room" for him. Would they have kept him if they could have continued to pay him league minimum? Probably. What you're missing is that salary and production are two sides of the same coin. Yes, the Orioles cut Nunez because of money. Because his likely production was replaceable for less than $2-$3 million dollars
    • Nevin is a prospect at 23 years old.  1B is his best position.  He will probably stays on the 40 man roster all year. Shaw is an organizational player at 27.  His best position is Bat thus DH.  He is likely to be DFA'd to get him off the 40 man  roster and to Norfolk.
    • Barry Bonds did ok...    
    • If Ayala can improve his shooting that would be awesome.  Today was a good start.  I think Wiggins needs to improve his handles and slashing game to be the scorer that would need.  His catch and shoot game is pure.   Gonna need Marial to improve his offensive game as well.  We already know he will defend the rim (theoretically).  Needs to work on his conditioning.  Ultimately I think our lack of interior presence will be our demise, unless Smith and Scott really ball their face off. We have that Swiss guy Revas as well, I'm not expecting much from him though.  The lack of backcourt depth also might hurt unless Dockery and Smart grow quickly.  Can Ayala be the primary ball handler and distributor?  Maybe. I don't think this team will fall off as badly as most think.  Like you said, Morsell/Ayala/Wiggins will keep us in most games.  If Scott and Hamilton (who was a top 100 recruit going into BC) can step up then I think we could surprise some people.  I see us sneaking into the tournament as a 7-10 seed.  
    • It’s a supply and demand thing.  Whether someone offers X amount of dollars is irrelevant.  The Os And their structure, could use his bat and his production.   Most teams don’t have that combo of at bats and money they can spend on a player with his skill set.     The Os do...and the idea that other teams chose not to do it is irrelevant to his value to this organization.  The idea that they may be looking into Puig (conjecture) and brought on a LH DH type at REINFORCES the idea that this is salary driven, not producing driven imo.     My only argument with this decision is that this isn’t solely or even largely driven by roster management despite what Elias says.  He is lying for management.
    • Your tone of authority when you are clearly in a fog is admirable.  Anyone who thought his arbitration number was a bargain, as you suggest, could have offered a warm body to secure his services before he hit the open market.  What won't make sense is if any team offers him 2M or more now that he's available to any team that wants him.
    • There are three vaccines, possibly four or five, if you trust the Chinese and Russians. Every factory on the world is going to be producing them. We may delay the start of spring training(only three months away) but I don’t think the season will start late. We may have distanced crowds, though.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...