Sign in to follow this  
half hop

Melanie Newman...play-by-play

16 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Every time I hear the word ‘vapors’, of course I think of that fantastic song, well sort of song, by Biz Markie.

Did somebody say vapors? :)

cheech-and-chong-up-in-smoke-blunt-620.j

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

I thought she did well during the half-hour I listened.

As long as she says "RBIs" for the plural, I am in.

I like the tongue-in-cheek "Rs BI"

46 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

I'm as old fashioned as they get, and I couldn't care less if a woman is announcing a game or not.

I do care if an announcer is any good or not, and Melanie Newman is not. She's just not good.

She adds no color at all to the game. Things like "This year it's important for players to listen to their bodies" gives me absolutely nothing.

On the radio she does say "There's the windup, and the pitch" which is nice. I'll give her that.

I'll give her (or anyone else) more than one outing at the MLB level before passing judgment.  (Hell, I gave Scott Garceau at least four games before giving him the "meh!")  I'm sure there were a few butterflies last night.

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

I make a home version with bourbon, bitters, triple sec, and a cherry.  The triple sec takes the place of the simple syrup (sugar as you say) and orange peel.  

What is it? Orange Julip?

I think there is a certain level experience that comes with, you know, actually calling games that will give a play-by-play person a better sense of how to work in important information and anecdotes. I know she’s done PBP for a Single A affiliate but I doubt that would get her the kind of exposure and feedback she needs from true professionals of the craft. She is not by trade a game caller; it is something she CAN do, but she has been all over baseball doing different things for different teams.

Personally I didn’t think she did a bad job. She’s perfectly average on her very first try. I couldn’t do what she’s doing. There IS a curve to hearing a woman call a baseball game. It’s notable, it’s unique, it takes some getting used to. I’m certainly not about to blast her for simply being a woman like OP did though.

Novelty aside, I don’t enjoy 95% of men calling baseball games, so we’ll see how this goes.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

So Scott, did you analyze her eyes yet?

5d420dd091849.image.jpg?crop=977,1250,28

No I did not. Very nice!

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Call me old-fashioned, but a thread started on the premise of someone admitting to be a male chauvinist should be locked and discarded.

o

I agree with your disdain for such attitudes on the subject, but I believe that occasionally seeing and/or hearing something like this can be helpful in that it shows that some people actually do still think that way ........ such as when Al Campanis made his infamous appearance on Nightline in 1987, which immediately sparked outrage on a national level.

o