Jump to content
ChuckS

I'm Ready for Mountcastle and Diaz: Mountcastle Up, Diaz Still Waiting

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His numbers were fine last year.  You need to adjust for league and park.

Hays and Mancini both had years over .900 at Bowie. It can be done. I would want a AA prospect to be more than "fine" before making the jump to MLB. 

Are you saying Diaz's numbers at Tulsa should be adjusted down? That only proves the point he is not ready. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Are you saying Diaz's numbers at Tulsa should be adjusted down? That only proves the point he is not ready. 

Tulsa is pretty close to neutral, it actually slightly favors pitchers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mountcastle should be close.   When he is called up he probably plays everyday.  Smith has found some power in left.  Nunez playing some 1B.   Severino and Sisco both hitting thick could make one of them the DH.    Holaday being on the roster allows a catcher to DH.

Diaz is not even on the 40 man.  I don't expect to see him in the majors this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Mountcastle should be close.   When he is called up he probably plays everyday.  Smith has found some power in left.  Nunez playing some 1B.   Severino and Sisco both hitting thick could make one of them the DH.    Holaday being on the roster allows a catcher to DH.

Diaz is not even on the 40 man.  I don't expect to see him in the majors this year.

He's batting .190 with a .250 OBP.  Hardly impressive for a guy that would be on pace to hit 27 home runs.  Also, he's been often injured.  So, a low OBP, 15-20 HR, soon to be 28 year old, no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony had made some mention of not hearing good things about Mountcastle.  It was pretty vague (intentionally so I'm sure) and I can't find the thread it was in now, but perhaps there are some non-baseball related reasons for Mountcastle still being down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Tony had made some mention of not hearing good things about Mountcastle.  It was pretty vague (intentionally so I'm sure) and I can't find the thread it was in now, but perhaps there are some non-baseball related reasons for Mountcastle still being down.

I remember reading that and thinking it was disciplinary for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were Mountcastle I’d be having some “issues” right now. He won the AAA International League MVP. He was the best player in the darn league. He’s 23 and not 20. He’s shown a willingness to try 3-4 positions. 

Why not bring him up to DH. Take some pressure off him. Bat him 7th. Let him focus on hitting MLB pitching. Find a position for him once we figure out what we have in other places. It’s looking like 1B/DH is open. 
 

Mountcastle should be filing a grievance. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If I were Mountcastle I’d be having some “issues” right now. He won the AAA International League MVP. He was the best player in the darn league. He’s 23 and not 20. He’s shown a willingness to try 3-4 positions. 

Why not bring him up to DH. Take some pressure off him. Bat him 7th. Let him focus on hitting MLB pitching. Find a position for him once we figure out what we have in other places. It’s looking like 1B/DH is open. 
 

Mountcastle should be filing a grievance. 

I said something similar myself a couple days ago.

Except the grievance part, that wouldn't be smart.  Look at how these things go, I don't see he could win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I said something similar myself a couple days ago.

Except the grievance part, that wouldn't be smart.  Look at how these things go, I don't see he could win.

You’re right. The grievance route is a no win situation for him. Is this really the type of organization we are now?  You don’t get more “cooked” than Mountcastle is right now. You can’t adjust to MLB pitching in AAA. 
 

If Mountcastle has “issues”, then it’s issues that our FO is causing at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

He's batting .190 with a .250 OBP.  Hardly impressive for a guy that would be on pace to hit 27 home runs.  Also, he's been often injured.  So, a low OBP, 15-20 HR, soon to be 28 year old, no thanks.

Smith has 2 homers and 4 RBI  in 21 at bats.  That is a 47 homers and 95 RBI  pace over 500 at bats.   He will not keep that up but  play him while he is hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Smith has 2 homers and 4 RBI  in 21 at bats.  That is a 47 homers and 95 RBI  pace over 500 at bats.   He will not keep that up but  play him while he is hot.

It what universe does a 583 OPS (67 OPS+) constitute hot?  He's below replacement.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You’re right. The grievance route is a no win situation for him. Is this really the type of organization we are now?  You don’t get more “cooked” than Mountcastle is right now. You can’t adjust to MLB pitching in AAA. 
 

If Mountcastle has “issues”, then it’s issues that our FO is causing at this point. 

I don't know where the "issue" thing came from.   I thought Tony just said his play was not impressive.  That has nothing to do with an attitude problem.   Maybe I read it wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It what universe does a 583 OPS (67 OPS+) constitute hot?  He's below replacement.

His OPS is 726.   Its more power than OPS though.  In the kingdom on the blind the one eyed man is king.   There is no one else doing better.   And we don't know that Mountcastle would if he is not impressing at alternate camp.   This will shake out in a few games.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

His OPS is 726.   Its more power than OPS though.  In the kingdom on the blind the one eyed man is king.   There is no one else doing better.   And we don't know that Mountcastle would if he is not impressing at alternate camp.   This will shake out in a few games.

 

For some reason BB ref hasn't updated.

Well 726 after a good game hardly means hot.  And you know how much I care about RBIs.

Smith isn't good at anything.  I'm at all loss as why even the Orioles would have him on a ML Roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...