Jump to content
MurphDogg

Akin promoted, Mullins optioned

Recommended Posts

 
Surprised they did it today instead of tomorrow. I was thinking if he came up Akin would start tomorrow.
I understand Mullins going down instead of Velazquez with Iglesias not 100 percent, but I still would have gone with Velazquez if they weren't going to go with Hess.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, weams said:

 

I quick edited to go with that tweet instead. Typically I look back on Twitter and go with whoever had it first, and in this case, it was the Orioles official account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Starting to get a bit light on outfielders.

In a world of 60 game baseball, every man is an outfielder. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis?

We played Ruiz in left for a couple innings in the extra inning game last Saturday.

Of course it took him 5 days off to recover from the experience.

Valaika & Velazquez, I guess, are our primary OF backups now.

So Akin is up until Means comes back, either to start tomorrow or to add depth to the bullpen for the Eshelman start today and the "bullpen game" tomorrow.

I doubt we stay with just 3 true outfielders very long.   Maybe once Iglesias is 100% healthy and Ruiz is 100% healthy we send down an infielder (Velazquez most likely) and bring up an outfielder.   DJ Stewart went down Wednesday and thus can't come up until next Saturday;  Mullins can't come back until Tuesday the 18th.   I wonder if there are any other OFs in Bowie we could bring up?

Or maybe Hess pitches again today or tomorrow, and comes up with an "injury" and has to go on the DL, and once we get to Monday's off day we DL him and bring back Mullins or Stewart.

If we get through the next week, with only 3 OFs and with Mullins and Stewart not allowed to come up unless someone gets hurt, and Mountcastle doesn't come up -- at that point I would be willing to believe any conspiracy theory anyone wants to peddle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Starting to get a bit light on outfielders.

Velazquez and Valaika both can play the outfield if needed.

When Means comes back they have to decide which starters stay in the rotation.  Who goes to the pen and who gets sent to Bowie.    Maybe they send down a pitcher then and call up Mountcastle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Akin going to take Bleier's spot in the BP?  Or do they work him as a starter?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SteveA said:

We played Ruiz in left for a couple innings in the extra inning game last Saturday.

Of course it took him 5 days off to recover from the experience.

Valaika & Velazquez, I guess, are our primary OF backups now.

So Akin is up until Means comes back, either to start tomorrow or to add depth to the bullpen for the Eshelman start today and the "bullpen game" tomorrow.

I doubt we stay with just 3 true outfielders very long.   Maybe once Iglesias is 100% healthy and Ruiz is 100% healthy we send down an infielder (Velazquez most likely) and bring up an outfielder.   DJ Stewart went down Wednesday and thus can't come up until next Saturday;  Mullins can't come back until Tuesday the 18th.   I wonder if there are any other OFs in Bowie we could bring up?

Or maybe Hess pitches again today or tomorrow, and comes up with an "injury" and has to go on the DL, and once we get to Monday's off day we DL him and bring back Mullins or Stewart.

If we get through the next week, with only 3 OFs and with Mullins and Stewart not allowed to come up unless someone gets hurt, and Mountcastle doesn't come up -- at that point I would be willing to believe any conspiracy theory anyone wants to peddle.

I was thinking about coming up with one in which Elias is punishing Mountcastle for refusing to sign a long term under market deal.

I've got not a lick of evidence and don't even believe it myself but I've got a lot of free time on my hands right now.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Is Akin going to take Bleier's spot in the BP?  Or do they work him as a starter?

I have to think he will be a starter.  That is how he has been developed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was thinking about coming up with one in which Elias is punishing Mountcastle for refusing to sign a long term under market deal.

I've got not a lick of evidence and don't even believe it myself but I've got a lot of free time on my hands right now.

Get a dog.   No one is punishing Mountcastle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

Get a dog.   No one is punishing Mountcastle.

Wow that is terrible advice. 

You shouldn't make a life choice like that on a whim.

0/10 would not recommend.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We played Ruiz in left for a couple innings in the extra inning game last Saturday.

Of course it took him 5 days off to recover from the experience.

Valaika & Velazquez, I guess, are our primary OF backups now.

So Akin is up until Means comes back, either to start tomorrow or to add depth to the bullpen for the Eshelman start today and the "bullpen game" tomorrow.

I doubt we stay with just 3 true outfielders very long.   Maybe once Iglesias is 100% healthy and Ruiz is 100% healthy we send down an infielder (Velazquez most likely) and bring up an outfielder.   DJ Stewart went down Wednesday and thus can't come up until next Saturday;  Mullins can't come back until Tuesday the 18th.   I wonder if there are any other OFs in Bowie we could bring up?

Or maybe Hess pitches again today or tomorrow, and comes up with an "injury" and has to go on the DL, and once we get to Monday's off day we DL him and bring back Mullins or Stewart.

If we get through the next week, with only 3 OFs and with Mullins and Stewart not allowed to come up unless someone gets hurt, and Mountcastle doesn't come up -- at that point I would be willing to believe any conspiracy theory anyone wants to peddle.

I don't get the general dislike for Velazquez on this board.   Is he because he doesn't hit?   He is a defensive backup.  I don't expect him to hit much.  If he did he would be a starter.  The guy can play defense.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 168 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • With two games to play, the Orioles could still end up picking anywhere from 3rd to 10th. To pick 3rd they would have to lose their final two games while Boston and Detroit win their final two games and Washington wins one of their final three games. We currently have the sixth pick as we jumped Arizona yesterday to move up from seventh. If we were to win our final two games we could drop to 10th with one win by Arizona and two wins by Kansas City, Colorado, and Seattle.
    • o     On 2 consecutive nights, 2 different teams clinched themselves a 2020 playoff berth by beating the Yankees ........     (SEPTEMBER 24th)   Blue Jays Clinch Post-Season Berth with Win Over the Yankees (By Laura Armstrong) https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2020/09/24/blue-jays-clinch-post-season-berth-with-win-over-the-yankees.html     (SEPTEMBER 25th)   Marlins Beat Yankees in Extra-Innings, Clinch First Playoff Berth Since 2003 (By Jordan McPherson) https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article245998685.html     o
    • o   (SEPTEMBER 24th)   The Blue Jays beat the Yankees in Buffalo last night, punching their ticket to the 2020 American League post-season tournament.   Blue Jays Clinch Post-Season Berth with Win Over the Yankees (By Laura Armstrong) https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2020/09/24/blue-jays-clinch-post-season-berth-with-win-over-the-yankees.html       o
    • Yeah... check out baseballafterdark.com   😂
    • o   Very early in the 2020 season as a COVID-laden Florida Marlins were shut down indefinitely because of the disease ...... nobody was sure whether or not they would be able to continue playing in (and completing) the season. Now, they have qualified for the National League post-season tournament.   Marlins Beat Yankees in Extra-Innings, Clinch First Playoff Berth Since 2003 (By Jordan McPherson) https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article245998685.html   o
    • This is the Orioles' fourth losing season in a row. Someone who's been a fan for 50 years undoubtedly remembers that the team went 14 seasons in a row with losing records from 1998 through 2011. Then the next year they made the playoffs and won their first round game and all of a sudden it was a lot of fun again. The good times will come again.  Can't guarantee it'll be next year, but they will come.  
    • You’re right about some things, wrong about others. watch and see if things get better. I think they will.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...