MurphDogg

Akin promoted, Mullins optioned

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow that is terrible advice. 

You shouldn't make a life choice like that on a whim.

0/10 would not recommend.

If you can make comments without a lick of evidence,  I can give life choice advice.   I would say we are both terrible at those two things.

• Haha 1

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't get the general dislike for Velazquez on this board.   Is he because he doesn't hit?   He is a defensive backup.  I don't expect him to hit much.  If he did he would be a starter.  The guy can play defense.

I don't think we need both him and Valaika.   At least not at the expense of other positions, like having only 3 true OFs.   And Valaika appears to hit better and I don't think he's bad with the glove.

Yes, Velazquez is probably better with the glove, and being a switch hitter counts a little. too.   I don't dislike him.

But I think having two utility infielders and 3 catchers, while having no true backup outfielders, is poor roster construction.   Now I understand if Iglesias is still gimpy.   But when he and Ruiz are 100% healthy I think that we just don't need both Valaika and Velazquez.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildcard said:

If you can make comments without a lick of evidence,  I can give life choice advice.   I would say we are both terrible at those two things.

Except I said I had no evidence and that I didn't believe the theory I was expounding.

You appeared to think it was a honest to goodness good idea to recommend I get a dog because I've got some free time right now.

Do you see the difference?

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't get the general dislike for Velazquez on this board.   Is he because he doesn't hit?   He is a defensive backup.  I don't expect him to hit much.  If he did he would be a starter.  The guy can play defense.

He is a backup utility infielder. Teams don't need two utility infielders.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

He is a backup utility infielder. Teams don't need two utility infielders.

And Velazquez is the one that should go?  I don't see that.  He is the best backup SS and Iglesias is injured almost every season.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

And Velazquez is the one that should go?  I don't see that.  He is the best backup SS and Iglesias is injured almost every season.

I don't have a strong opinion on the overall merits of Valaika vs. Velazquez.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think people find him redundant.  The team has a ton of infielders, and as you pointed out, he does look like much of a hitter.

3 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I think people find him redundant.  The team has a ton of infielders, and as you pointed out, he does not look like much of a hitter.

Ftfy....(I think).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Starting to get a bit light on outfielders.

Trumbo is available.  

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or three catchers.

Only possible logic is if they start taking playing time away from Davis and let Sisco DH some. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I have to think he will be a starter.  That is how he has been developed.

Then it will be a one and done unless they go to 6 starters. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Only possible logic is if they start taking playing time away from Davis and let Sisco DH some. 

We have used a C at DH I think 3 times in the past week.   Twice Sisco, once Pedro?

But I think most of that occurred when Ruiz was hurt and Nunez was forced to play 3rd.   Don't know if it will continue.

Just now, SteveA said:

We have used a C at DH I think 3 times in the past week.   Twice Sisco, once Pedro?

But I think most of that occurred when Ruiz was hurt and Nunez was forced to play 3rd.   Don't know if it will continue.

Right. Personally at this point I  want to see Sisco play more even though I am not high on him. I mean why not? See what he can do. 

Down the road we may be a team that could use 3 catchers because he how special Rutschman will be- we hope. Once we are back to a normal season and if we can get by with 12 pitchers that’s 5 players on bench. That would be best role for Sisco. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Then it will be a one and done unless they go to 6 starters. 

Could always move Wojo or Leblanc to the pen.  And although likely they may have a trade for Cobb in the works or something. 

It probably depends on how Akin looks if he starts tomorrow.