Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

It's time for the OH to turn the page

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Can you clarify? Are you saying that in a normal year they’d be up now because they’d have started the year at Norfolk and would already have 40-50 AAA games under their belt?

As opposed to Nothing, or whatever clearance sale frenzy is going on in Bowie?

I may have misunderstood you but I wouldn’t have mentioned the guys if they weren’t ready now, without needing any more time. Certainly Akin is already here but he hasn’t played, Mountcastle should be here, and Kremer and Lowther should arguably be here. Certainly Hess isn’t blocking anyone, and I’d rather have any of them than Carroll or Phillips.

I don’t see any danger to bringing a guy up if he’s ready.

I’m saying in a normal year, with legit MiL experience, I expected most or all of those guys in the majors by this point in the season (ie, after the deadline).

But because they didn’t get that experience, they have chosen to keep them down. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Different ownership.

I agree they could spend, we have yet to see that they will spend.

It’s not different and even if you want to consider it different, the “new owners” have shown more of a willingness to do the right things.

The other factor here is what happens when P.A. dies.  How will that work with taxes, etc...do they try to sell?  What are the inheritance taxes, etc...

There are some behind the scenes stuff we don’t know about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sports Guy said:

It’s not different and even if you want to consider it different, the “new owners” have shown more of a willingness to do the right things.

The other factor here is what happens when P.A. dies.  How will that work with taxes, etc...do they try to sell?  What are the inheritance taxes, etc...

There are some behind the scenes stuff we don’t know about.

It is different.  The team is being run by different people who probably have different goals.  Thus far their willingness to do the right things has not extended to increasing payroll.

I think it is prudent to not expect them to spend.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see Cobb being on the 2021 team.  It doesn't seem to follow the plan to keep him in his FA year and let him walk.  And I don't Elias extending a 30 something pitcher that is making 15m/yr.   I think he is traded in the next 18 days or over the off season. 

As I have said, the O's need to play at a .570 pace for them not to trade Cobb by Aug 31st.  

I think the 2021 rotation is Means, and in the 4th and 5th spots some combination of Akins, Kremer and Zimmerman.  Wojo is on audition now.  Whether he is in the rotation next year depends on how he does this season.   I don't see Leblanc and Milone being asked back.

Either Sisco or Severino could be traded for pitching.  They may not be worth much now but by the off season they could be more valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Cobb being on the 2021 team.  It doesn't seem to follow the plan to keep him in his FA year and let him walk.  And I don't Elias extending a 30 something pitcher that is making 15m/yr.   I think he is traded in the next 18 days or over the off season. 

As I have said, the O's need to play at a .570 pace for them not to trade Cobb by Aug 31st.  

I think the 2021 rotation is Means, and in the 4th and 5th spots some combination of Akins, Kremer and Zimmerman.  Wojo is on audition now.  Whether he is in the rotation next year depends on how he does this season.   I don't see Leblanc and Milone being asked back.

Either Sisco or Severino could be traded for pitching.  They may not be worth much now but by the off season they could be more valuable.

It all depends on demand for Cobb.  As for Sisco and Severino, they are probably going to be catching all season in Baltimore in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is different.  The team is being run by different people who probably have different goals.  Thus far their willingness to do the right things has not extended to increasing payroll.

I think it is prudent to not expect them to spend.

 

Yes but they also took over in a time where it made little sense to expand on the payroll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but they also took over in a time where it made little sense to expand on the payroll.

I'm not saying otherwise.  I just think the best course of action is to not expect them to spend until we see evidence to the contrary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He spent on Cobb and Ubaldo.

While Stroman will get more than them, he won’t get a 6+ year deal for 25+M a year either.

They certainly may not spend..but it’s not because of limited funds.

I’m not trying to say they are broke but I still think they aren’t going to be that aggressive that early. If for sake of argument they would sign Stroman and they aren’t a contender in 22 then it is year 3 of his contract when you need him at his best. I don’t think they will view that especially in a division like ours a worthwhile investment. 

This year aside under the current format they would have to be at worst a 3rd place team to make the playoffs. We know about NYY, Tampa is loaded in the minors and good now and the Jays are ahead of us. That would be a tall task to overcome in a hurry. 

I thought the Jays were too aggressive with Ryu. Then again I also didn’t buy him having success in this division. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying otherwise.  I just think the best course of action is to not expect them to spend until we see evidence to the contrary.

Well I never expect this franchise to do the proper thing, so I agree there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t think that follows. Even after the Tampa series, even NOW, there’s no indication that this team, overall, has been anything other than lucky, And there is no logical reason to keep a guy down on the farm if he is ready for at least an audition in the Bigs.
Akin Is here but has not played, so his service clock is ticking, which is a head scratcher. Kremer, Lowther Baumann(?) Would all be more desirable than Hess, at least. We whine constantly about Mountcastle’s absence, and so on. Stewart is terrible, but he should have a legitimate audition, and 18 at bats is not a legitimate audition.

The only thing I can think of is that Mike is attempting to showcase guys who may have a little bit of trade value, so he can trade them instead of just sending them down or designating them.

But it has not been shown that Mike is changing his plan because of unexpected success.

Interestingly, I disagree with your fundamental premise, but agree with your conclusion.

I think we are reaching the point where we can say with some level of confidence that more than luck is involved here. At least for some of these players. Between the number of games, and some notable difference in approach, confidence, and even the fight in them, it's becoming clear that not all of these guys are the same players they were last year. And you wouldn't necessarily expect them to be. You'd expect some development out of some younger and journeyman ballplayers. We just happen to be comprised of mostly younger and journeymen ballplayers.

That said, your suggestion that there is no logical reason to keep a guy down on the farm if he is ready for at least an audition in the Bigs.
and that Akin-Kremer-Lowther-Baumann might be better than some of what we are throwing out there is something I strongly agree with.

I think the real question in my mind, is whether we've passed the point in the rebuild where our primary question is "what can we trade away?"

And perhaps can start asking "did our strategy of picking guys off the scrap heap and developing some of our own position players pay enough dividends that we can think now about what to add to the ML club... instead of what to subtract from it?"

Not really sure we're there yet...  but just being able to consider the possibility is progress.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not trying to say they are broke but I still think they aren’t going to be that aggressive that early. If for sake of argument they would sign Stroman and they aren’t a contender in 22 then it is year 3 of his contract when you need him at his best. I don’t think they will view that especially in a division like ours a worthwhile investment. 

This year aside under the current format they would have to be at worst a 3rd place team to make the playoffs. We know about NYY, Tampa is loaded in the minors and good now and the Jays are ahead of us. That would be a tall task to overcome in a hurry. 

I thought the Jays were too aggressive with Ryu. Then again I also didn’t buy him having success in this division. 

I think they were too aggressive with Ryu because he’s not that good, especially taking him out of Chavez Revine and the NL in general.

But they have a ton of elite, young talent that is and was ready right now.

Nothing wrong at all with them spending on vet talent.  
 

Much like the Os, their payroll isn’t jumping up because of arb raises anytime soon. Much like the rookie QB contract in the NFL, this is now the time to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Cobb being on the 2021 team.  It doesn't seem to follow the plan to keep him in his FA year and let him walk.  And I don't Elias extending a 30 something pitcher that is making 15m/yr.   I think he is traded in the next 18 days or over the off season. 

As I have said, the O's need to play at a .570 pace for them not to trade Cobb by Aug 31st.  

I think the 2021 rotation is Means, and in the 4th and 5th spots some combination of Akins, Kremer and Zimmerman.  Wojo is on audition now.  Whether he is in the rotation next year depends on how he does this season.   I don't see Leblanc and Milone being asked back.

Either Sisco or Severino could be traded for pitching.  They may not be worth much now but by the off season they could be more valuable.

I don’t know why you think Cobb is such a strong bet to be dealt. He is owed $15M next year. It would depend on the team but he is a lock to start a game in a best of 3 series for a contender? 

What is that worth to a team? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t know why you think Cobb is such a strong bet to be dealt. He is owed $15M next year. It would depend on the team but he is a lock to start a game in a best of 3 series for a contender? 

What is that worth to a team? 

I think he’s saying that the Os are cheap and just don’t spend on him.  That they would rather dump him than keep him.

He may be right..I would hope not but I wouldn’t dismiss it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sports Guy said:

I think they were too aggressive with Ryu because he’s not that good, especially taking him out of Chavez Revine and the NL in general.

But they have a ton of elite, young talent that is and was ready right now.

Nothing wrong at all with them spending on vet talent.  
 

Much like the Os, their payroll isn’t jumping up because of arb raises anytime soon. Much like the rookie QB contract in the NFL, this is now the time to spend.

I agree here but unlike the Orioles their top talent is already in the majors. They are a little like the  White Sox that way.  We would need our young bats to flourish pretty quick out of the gate. 

White Sox play in a much weaker division. This is why I think what MLB does with an expanded playoff format matters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he’s saying that the Os are cheap and just don’t spend on him.  That they would rather dump him than keep him.

He may be right..I would hope not but I wouldn’t dismiss it either.

Well if they were trusted to actually invest the money saving $15M next year on an oft injured pitcher isn’t the worst thing. 

The better play is to eat some money to get better prospects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Mayo says "If you told me (Adley) would be in Baltimore by the All Star break, I would have no trouble believing that." And Steve Melewski says Elias has indicated that Adley will begin the season at AA.     I have not hear either of this things before. https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/11/talking-os-farm-with-mlbpipelinecoms-jonathan-mayo.html  
    • I’d let Severino walk and draft PJ Higgins from the Cubs. Plus  arm, solid defensive catcher, developing bat, flexibility to play a  couple other  positions including 3B.   https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/02/27/p-j-higgins-development-and-his-play-in-mesa-make-you-wonder-about-his-big-league-roster-viability/
    • The only possible change would be Davis retirement. He more done than a week old Thanksgiving turkey. Hopefully struggles and his pride will allow to walk away.
    • I think not offering these guys arbitration will be very unpopular to the average fan and viewed as cheap.   who cares about Sanchez who is a utility player at best due to his bat. I’d like to see Alberto return but I’d be okay with Valaika as the everyday starter at. 2B.
    • The non tender date is December 2nd.  8 days away.   It may provide insight into what the O's infield will look like is 2021. The O's have 7 salary arbitration eligible players.   Mancini, Sanchez, Alberto, Santander, Severino, Valaika and Armstrong. Safe:   Mancini and Santander will be offered arbitration.   Elias does not have to negotiate their contracts before Dec 2nd. Worth the money:  Armstrong has projections between 700k and 1m.  He is probably worth the money so Elias probably offers him arbitration which will have little impact of the payroll. Elias needs to make decisions  on whether to sign these players or non tender them by December 2nd: Sanchez:  Cots Contracts projects him at 4M.  That is probably too rich for the O's.  His Gold Glove would be a defensive upgrade at 2B and a backup at SS.   He can also play 3B.  His projected production is in the 660 OPS range.  So it would be a defense over offense signing.   Sanchez made 4.6 in 2019 but was non tendered to avoid arbitration by the White Sox prior to the 2020 season.  With Iglesias a 3.5m,  Elias probably wants a salary below that for Sanchez.   Its probably sign by Dec 2nd or be non tendered is my guess.  Iglesias and Sanchez could be quite a keystone pair if he signs. Alberto:  Projects to be close to a  400 OBP and a 900 OS vs lefties in a platoon.   He has been in the low 600s OPS vs righties.  His defense is average at 2B and 3B.   MLBTR projects him somewhere between 2.3m and 4.1m.  Elias will not want to go to arbitration with him.   He will have to agree to something close to the low end of this range to stay.   My guess is it has to happen by Dec 2nd or he will be non tendered. Severino:   The O's would probably like to keep him until Rutschman is ready.   MLBTR projects his salary to be between   1.4m and 2.3m.  The O's would probably be fine with something on the lower end of that range.  Wynns has been kept on the 40 man roster in case they can not agree.   My guess is he has to sign before December 2nd or be non tendered.     Valaika:   Raised his value last year with a 791 OPS.  The improvement is probably because he played almost everyday. That was  at multiple positions.   He probably will not be needed in the outfield or at 1B this coming season.  His best position is 2B but he can play SS or 3B.  MLBTR projects him for a salary between 1.1m to 1.9m.   O's would probably like to see if he can duplicate his OPS in 2021 and would be fine with something on the lower end of that range.   He probably has to be signed by Dec 2nd.   Depending on how this works out and what Elias sees on the waiver wire will determine next seasons infield.  Ruiz will also come to compete for a spot in ST if he is able to stay on the roster throughout he off season.   JMO..... What do you think?    
    • So, the other Rule Five thread was getting cumbersome and obsolete, so I started a new thread. Feel free to move it if deemed proper. I think we’re looking for an infielder rather than a pitcher because we have so many in house pitchers who need a chance and are-probably-ready for a chance that it makes better sense to focus on them than to bring in an outsider, even one with upside, who will take a roster spot. Also, middle relievers Are plentiful, and Just like we got a bunch of warm bodies last year, and a few stuck, we can do the same this time without the R5 restrictions. With that in mind: Brewers Lewis Erceg  has good defense, a strong arm, a past as a pitcher and is big and solid. One wonders if he doesn’t fix hit hitting problems, if he might return to pitching? Blue Jays Kevin Smith: good defender, not much bat yet, but smart. Nobody else really stuck out for me, but I was focusing on SS and 3B. Wish Luke were here...grrr Who do you like and why?  And do you think we’re going to even bother? Waiver pickups are as cheap and don’t have the R5 restrictions. Maybe we’ll pass? I think we will participate, but...
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...