cboemmeljr

O's-Nats Game Suspended

Its bullcrap.  If they called the Nats-Yanks game after 5, if they are going to cut doubleheaders to 7 innings, they should call this one.   I sense some shenanigans in MLB front office.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Its bullcrap.  If they called the Nats-Yanks game after 5, if they are going to cut doubleheaders to 7 innings, they should call this one.   I sense some shenanigans in MLB front office.

I don't know about that but it surely did take a long time to make a final decision.

By what criteria was this not an official game?   It went 5 + innings with the home team  having batted in the last of the 5th.   Why suspended and not completed official game?  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

By what criteria was this not an official game?   It went 5 + innings with the home team  having batted in the last of the 5th.   Why suspended and not completed official game?  

There's a whole discussion in the last few pages of the game thread.  Rules have different things to say about games where the weather says you can't resume, or games where non weather causes like electrical or grounds crew failures.  All the specific rules are quoted there, and they are hard to interpret.  Go there for the gory details if you want.

It’s an aspect of the Anthropocene. In the old days it rained, it created a swamp, you went home. Now we have to interpret the degree to which our ability to stop the swamp from happening was within our control or not. A hurricane: official game. A gear on your retractable dome fails: suspend the game. Your grounds crew pulls a Three Stooges: ???

• Upvote 1

o

I think that the Nationals' grounds-crew should have to play the final 4 innings of the game on Friday ........ there are plenty enough of them to field a team.

That would act as a deterrent for the future, in case the grounds-crews of home teams that are losing games when it starts raining get any funny ideas ........ if the grounds-crew does not promptly and effectively get the tarpelin unrolled in time to protect the field, THEY have to complete the reminder of the game for the home team at a future date.

o

• Upvote 3

The silver lining is that this allows a healthy Iglesias to bat with two on and one out rather than Valaika. If the Orioles bring up another catcher they can then have Severino hit instead of Holaday.

Very trivial point, but do the statistics from this game count yet, or not until the game is completed on Friday? When Hanser Alberto steps to the plate in Philadelphia, will the scoreboard show his batting average to be what it was before the start of the suspended game, or what his average is after going 2-3 today? 

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

It’s an aspect of the Anthropocene. In the old days it rained, it created a swamp, you went home. Now we have to interpret the degree to which our ability to stop the swamp from happening was within our control or not. A hurricane: official game. A gear on your retractable dome fails: suspend the game. Your grounds crew pulls a Three Stooges: ???