Jump to content
wildcard

O's need to go 12-9 to avoid a sell off.

Recommended Posts

The trade deadline is August 31st.   The O's have 21 games in 21 days through the rest  of August.   Elias is still looking to the future.    There is a real possibility that core players get traded this month.     The only way to avoid that is to show  Elias that this current team can play .570 baseball .   .500  baseball will not do it even if would win a playoff spot IMO.   .570 baseball is 92 wins in a normal season.   

Cobb - Salary and age

 Milone and LeBlanc - FA after the season

 Givens - Salary and age

 Armstrong and Wojo - Age,  no options, Arbitration eligible

Are the most likely to go if anyone offers something that Elias wants for the future.

The team is proving that its not as far away from contention as previously thought so I don't see many of the other players being made available unless some team overpays big time.

This is all JMO.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The trade deadline is August 31st.   The O's have 21 games in 21 days through the rest  of August.   Elias is still looking to the future.    There is a real possibility that core players get traded this month.     The only way to avoid that is to show  Elias that this current team can play .570 baseball .   .500  baseball will not do it even if would win a playoff spot IMO.   .570 baseball is 92 wins in a normal season.   

Cobb - Salary and age

 Milone and LeBlanc - FA after the season

 Givens - Salary and age

 Armstrong and Wojo - Age,  no options, Arbitration eligible

Are the most likely to go if anyone offers something that Elias wants for the future.

The team is proving that its not as far away from contention as previously thought so I don't see many of the other players being made available unless some team overpays big time.

This is all JMO.

 

hahaha, I just asked basically the same question over in the other thread.  How many of the guys unlike Cobb or Givens or the others you mention, get traded will be telling, I think.  If nothing happens other than Cobb and Givens, we'll have to wait and see whether your contention that this is real is really real.  TBD... Right? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think there will be much of a selloff, because frankly there's not much to sell.

We're in a nice spot to be in as fans.  Elias surely isn't going to trade any of our decent prospects for a middling veteran, but we also don't need to worry about a selloff because our players have very little value.  We can just watch the team of castoffs and misfits that we have and root for them to succeed.  

Pitching is in demand at the deadline.   Probably  even more this season because more teams will be in contention for playoff spots.    Elias is not going to be asking for major league players in return.  He is going to be asking for prospects that fit his evaluation criteria.   Players like Bradish who seem like nothing special to most but who Elias added to the 60 man roster because he sees something in him.

I think Elias has shown in the last year that he believes in his evaluation criteria even when it go against what the rest of the league thinks.  He proves that in the draft and in the Bundy trade IMO.  And he is proving every day how he can take players that other teams quit on and make them successful.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think there will be much of a selloff, because frankly there's not much to sell.

We're in a nice spot to be in as fans.  Elias surely isn't going to trade any of our decent prospects for a middling veteran, but we also don't need to worry about a selloff because our players have very little value.  We can just watch the team of castoffs and misfits that we have and root for them to succeed.  

Agreed.  No real value to sell, we wouldn't get much of anything back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In an article a few days ago in The Athletic, Jim Bowden suggests that the Braves and Yankees should target John Means if they are looking to upgrade their pitching.

Quote

I also like the idea of the Braves pursuing two left-handed pitchers who are presently not available in John Means of the Baltimore Orioles and Marco Gonzales of the Seattle Mariners. Both the Orioles and Mariners have no desire to trade their best starting pitcher, but both are rebuilding and quantity is probably better than just quality as they try and improve their major-league team for the long-term future. A strong prospect package would have to be considered by both organizations based on where they are right now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's not a single player on the roster that will garner a good prospect. We are overachieving by a ton right now, and it's been a good ride. However, other than some minor trades I wouldn't expect much. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, O-The-Memories said:

There's not a single player on the roster that will garner a good prospect. We are overachieving by a ton right now, and it's been a good ride. However, other than some minor trades I wouldn't expect much. 

With his newfound velocity I think Means would.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

In an article a few days ago in The Athletic, Jim Bowden suggests that the Braves and Yankees should target John Means if they are looking to upgrade their pitching.

I think Means has a chance to be here when we turn it around. Under control for 4 years beyond this. 

Would have to be a major, major haul. 

I think this is just one these types of stories to create a conversation.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

With his newfound velocity I think Means would.

Maybe, but we would be selling really low based on his current ERA. His peripherals look great though. His injuries might scare teams off too. I wouldn't expect a top 5 prospect from a farm system, and if we aren't getting that I'd sooner keep him. He is the closest thing to a potential ace that that we have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Maybe, but we would be selling really low based on his current ERA. His peripherals look great though. His injuries might scare teams off too. I wouldn't expect a top 5 prospect from a farm system, and if we aren't getting that I'd sooner keep him. He is the closest thing to a potential ace that that we have. 

I don't think his current ERA is going to be part of the discussion.

I'm not advocating they move him, just saying you could get a good prospect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What could they get for Rutschman? 🤔

He looked pretty pedestrian last fall and this spring, I'd hate to sell low on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What could they get for Rutschman? 🤔

If they are serious about winning.  Release Davis and call up Adley in September. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • 1966 ranks 107th of the 115 World Series ever played?   The hell with that!    That series was a huge upset and featured two 1-0 nail biters.  1970 ranks 95th?    The great O’s team over the Big Red Machine?   Brooks puts on the best defensive show of all time and this is what we get? 1983 ranks 84th?    So all three Orioles wins are in the bottom 32 World Series ever played, and worse than every World Series they lost?   Aargggghhh! Now for the killer: you have to jump all the way to 36 for Mets vs. Orioles in 1969.    Other than the fact that the Mets were a terrible team before ‘69, what about that series is better than 1983?    They are both 5 game series where the winning team lost the opener and then swept 4 straight.   Screw this!  This is why I hate all New York sports teams so much.     1971 — 20th.     1979 — 13th.    Now, I can’t really argue that, objectively speaking, the two seven game losses to the Pirates weren’t better World Series than the four other 4-5 game Series that the O’s played.  But lord it pains me to see them up so high.   And just to add insult to injury: “When Eddie Murray batted in the eighth inning of Game 7, the championship leverage index in the moment was higher than for any other play in history. He flied to the edge of the warning track, and after a slightly awkward break, Dave Parker ran it down. Five more feet and it could have looked a lot like the ball Nelson Cruzmisplayed, for which David Freese got a triple, in 2011.” https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29104085/ranking-every-world-series-mlb-history
    • FV dropped from 50 to 45 and ceiling dropped from 55 to 50.   That feels a little harsh to me.   But based on the write-up, it seems Tony heard some things about Diaz’s camp that were a bit more negative than what has been stated publicly.    I think Diaz is a guy who could exceed his projection if things go right for him.  
    • Ceiling grade dropped from 55 to 50 this year.    
    • Hopefully “better than those guys” is not the standard we’re trying to meet.   
    • One name I haven’t seen listed yet is Hunter Harvey, who is still rookie-eligible.  He was ranked 10th last year. For now I will assume he’s been downgraded after being somewhat less impressive in 2020 than in 2019, but it’s also possible that Tony didn’t realize he was still eligible.    The next two on last year’s list were Wells and Rom.   That’s not a pairing here, but Zimmermann did reach the majors and didn’t embarrass himself, so Wells and Zimmermann is possible.   Assuming Tony meant what he said about not shuffling the order of incumbent players who weren’t in Bowie, McKenna-Hall and Hall-Mayo aren’t possibilities since there are several incumbent players ahead of Hall.    That leaves Baumler-Mayo or Mayo-Baumler.    The latter seems more likely since Mayo was the higher pick and got the higher bonus.     As between Mayo-Baumler and Wells-Zimmermann, I think Tony will go with the younger pairing with more upside.    Wells and Zimmermann are both 5th starter/swingman types.   And my gut tells me that Wells not being invited to Bowie is a bad sign for him.   So I’m going Mayo-Baumler.   
    • Got this pairing correct.   Not that excited about Vavra’s writeup, though.    
    • I think it all depends on how much his deception plays up. He throws a little harder than Milone and his release point and extension on his release helps it play up as well.  I like him, but was disappointed that Elias didn't have him at the auxiliary camp. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...