Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Please read: Bumping old threads

I'm happy to comply with this new policy. However, could I request that it be made more precise, or at least provide some examples/guidelines? The reason I ask is because, the definition of what's considered an "old" thread, or a post that's "on-topic" for a thread vs. contributing to an off-topic or "misleading title" situation, will probably differ from person to person.

Think of it like the strike zone :P -- the players want to know what the strike zone is, as exactly as possible, and want that zone to be consistent from player to player. When Aaron Judge gets a strike zone the size of a thimble and Rio Ruiz gets a strike zone the size of an aircraft carrier, that's no fun for anyone (except, arguably, for Aaron Judge.) 

To illustrate my point: I think everyone can agree that a 5 year old thread is "too old" under the new policy. And you'd likely agree that a 1 week old thread is not "too old." However, there's a valley of uncertainty between those two extremes. Is a month too long? 3 months? How about the end of last season? Some sort of milestone or guideline would help enormously.

Also, I sort of gather from your post that part of the problem isn't just the age of a thread; it's the fact that threads tend to wander far off-topic. Of course, the older a thread is, the more likely it is to be off-topic. If one of the things you wanted to ask us to do is try harder to stay on the original topic of a thread, I think it might help to say that explicitly, even though I was able to charitably interpret that from your post.

Lastly, some constructive feedback: I've noticed this sort of bumping old threads behavior since I first joined this board. There are "running tallies" of certain very specific events that get bumped on at least a monthly basis during every season: Everybody's Dancing Now for when we have an awesome win; "Orioles Win, Yankees Lose" when.... well, when the Orioles win and the Yankees lose... etc.

Personally, I feel that these threads, that aren't as much about content (opinions, etc.) and more just about tracking specific types of events, are part of the board's charm. Is the new policy intended to effectively end those threads as well? If not, it might help to clarify that.

I'm not looking for loopholes or ways to make your life harder as a moderator on this forum. I hope this post serves to encourage you to improve the rules, so that those of us who are willingly trying to follow them will know what exact bounds we're being asked to observe, rather than leaving it up to personal interpretation.

21 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

I'm happy to comply with this new policy. However, could I request that it be made more precise, or at least provide some examples/guidelines? The reason I ask is because, the definition of what's considered an "old" thread, or a post that's "on-topic" for a thread vs. contributing to an off-topic or "misleading title" situation, will probably differ from person to person.

Think of it like the strike zone :P -- the players want to know what the strike zone is, as exactly as possible, and want that zone to be consistent from player to player. When Aaron Judge gets a strike zone the size of a thimble and Rio Ruiz gets a strike zone the size of an aircraft carrier, that's no fun for anyone (except, arguably, for Aaron Judge.) 

To illustrate my point: I think everyone can agree that a 5 year old thread is "too old" under the new policy. And you'd likely agree that a 1 week old thread is not "too old." However, there's a valley of uncertainty between those two extremes. Is a month too long? 3 months? How about the end of last season? Some sort of milestone or guideline would help enormously.

Also, I sort of gather from your post that part of the problem isn't just the age of a thread; it's the fact that threads tend to wander far off-topic. Of course, the older a thread is, the more likely it is to be off-topic. If one of the things you wanted to ask us to do is try harder to stay on the original topic of a thread, I think it might help to say that explicitly, even though I was able to charitably interpret that from your post.

Lastly, some constructive feedback: I've noticed this sort of bumping old threads behavior since I first joined this board. There are "running tallies" of certain very specific events that get bumped on at least a monthly basis during every season: Everybody's Dancing Now for when we have an awesome win; "Orioles Win, Yankees Lose" when.... well, when the Orioles win and the Yankees lose... etc.

Personally, I feel that these threads, that aren't as much about content (opinions, etc.) and more just about tracking specific types of events, are part of the board's charm. Is the new policy intended to effectively end those threads as well? If not, it might help to clarify that.

I'm not looking for loopholes or ways to make your life harder as a moderator on this forum. I hope this post serves to encourage you to improve the rules, so that those of us who are willingly trying to follow them will know what exact bounds we're being asked to observe, rather than leaving it up to personal interpretation.

I think common sense will prevail here. Bumping a thread that says a player was released to add in information about how he he doing after being required doesn't help get proper information out. Bumping a 4 year old prospect report to talk about the player now is not a good use of a bump.

The threads you mentioned are not what we're concerned about. 

This is actually not a new policy but one we want to reiterate since we started to see this once again.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think common sense will prevail here. Bumping a thread that says a player was released to add in information about how he he doing after being required doesn't help get proper information out. Bumping a 4 year old prospect report to talk about the player now is now a good use of a bump.

The threads you mentioned are not what we're concerned about. 

This is actually not a new policy but one we want to reiterate since we started to see this once again.

Thanks, the examples provided are extremely helpful.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Come on now, let's not exaggerate.  Judge's zone is more like the size of a cell phone; and Ruiz's is more like the size of a refrigerator.

23 minutes ago, Triple Crown said:

I'm not seeing much change with these regurgitated old threads, hard to get new stuff started when we keep seeing the old threads rebooted every night

Please give me examples.