accinfo

No more argument to play Chris Davis

I know most people believe there has been no reason to play Chris Davis for a long time now.  However where the Orioles are today in this version of Covid-Baseball there is ZERO reason any longer.

It has been 20 games and Chris Davis is hitting .136 after 1/3 of the season with one RBI.  

Pedro Severino is going to play most days.  His bat has earned that.  Chance Sisco's bat has earned him a long look in the lineup as well.  So he needs to play DH or 1B on the  days a week he isn't catching.  Nunez needs to play everyday.  He has more than earned that.  He has to play either DH or 1B.  Nunez hasn't been terrible at 1B.  

This team is a playoff contender right now.  Your choice is to play Sisco or Chris Davis right now.  Is there really any choice at this point?  Also even though Austin Hayes hasn't lit it up hitting yet his absence from the lineup everyday makes the lineup weaker with either Mullins or Velaquez.  Pretty much one of them has to play because they are the only ones that can play CF.  

There are some real alternatives to Davis now and the team is playing well. Whatever the talk of with Davis adding muscle last offseason, blah, blah blah. It's not working and Davis is never going to improves to even a below average slugger. 

Sisco should be getting at bats nearly everyday even if he isn't going to catch every game. 

I personally wanted one more terrible season for a high draft pick. The team is not cooperating, so now I reached the point today that I would like Davis cut, because his job of helping them lose is over and Mountcastle called up. I mean it is to the point that I could go out there(with full body armor of course) and get on base near the clip Davis is. I could just put my bat out like a bunt and try to adjust it as fast I could to make contact and adjust wether I deadened the ball or pushed it based on how close the infield was(I probably would have zero chance but I would like to think I could do better than Davis is doing)

• Upvote 1

I am a believer in your ability Seva. I do think you would do just as well as Davis at the plate. You'd get a freak hit and a freak rbi. That pretty much makes you tied. I don't see how we don't see Mountcastle at LF now that Hayes is out. Once Mountcastle is called up, I find it difficult to believe Davis would still be here. It's time to cut bait with that overweight lack of try.

9 hours ago, sevastras said:

I personally wanted one more terrible season for a high draft pick. The team is not cooperating, so now I reached the point today that I would like Davis cut

There is zero chance of Davis getting cut unless having a 162 game season next year is a certainty.    COVID is terrible but the O’s saved about $14.5 mm this year compared to what they would have paid Davis if they had cut him prior to the season.   Turns out that what we all thought was a sunk cost wasn’t completely sunk after all.    I’d like to think we will be in a position to play a full season next year, but who knows?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Chris Davis' OPS is lower than Iglesias' batting average 😂

I mean that's kind of an unfair comparison don't you think? 

You shouldn't be comparing a 1B/DH to a glove first guy, they bring different skillsets to the club.

7 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Chris Davis' OPS is lower than Iglesias' batting average 😂

Yet I'm sure we'll see him in the lineup today batting eighth, and going 0-4 with two strike outs and two weak ground outs.

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Yet I'm sure we'll see him in the lineup today batting eighth, and going 0-4 with two strike outs and two weak ground outs.

Maybe Hyde will shake things up, bat him ninth.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe Hyde will shake things up, bat him ninth.

Lol.  I noticed the other day he hit Sisco 7, Davis 8, and Hays nine.  When for many reasons, it would have made sense to bat him ninth for L/R reasons and because Hays is much better than him.  I think they are woried about hurting Davis's feelings batting him ninth. 

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Lol.  I noticed the other day he hit Sisco 7, Davis 8, and Hays nine.  When for many reasons, it would have made sense to bat him ninth for L/R reasons and because Hays is much better than him.  I think they are woried about hurting Davis's feelings batting him ninth. 

There's an argument you could make that the eighth guy should actually be your worst hitter if you have another leadoff type hitter for the number nine spot.

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Davis?  How would you feel if the manager batted you behind Davis?  I'd feel terrible about myself.

Just now, Morgan423 said:

There's an argument you could make that the eighth guy should actually be your worst hitter if you have another leadoff type hitter for the number nine spot.

I've never cared for that argument but yes, I've seen pitchers hitting 8th.

Davis is out of the lineup again today. I think it’s finally happening.  Davis is going to hang out on the bench until his contract is up or a deal is worked out to buy him out of it at a reduced rate. 

• Upvote 1