accinfo

No more argument to play Chris Davis

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t see him walking away from $46M. He will also be under internal pressure not to give back any money. 

Do I think it is more likely now he could walk away?, yes. That said it doesn’t mean he will take less money but it could be spread out even more. 

He can walk away and save face and technically not lose any money. 

If I'm the O's I say no to that deal and let him know he's never getting into another game.  I'd tell him I'd forfeit first. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was benched in June of 2018.

Let's see how long this lasts and how complete a benching it is before we say it's unprecedented.

The hope in 18 was to bench him, work with him with the intention of getting him back on track. Still was with old regime and had 4 years left on deal. 

Now there is 2 years left on his deal and 2 more years of ineptitude. Considering Mancini and Mountcastle aren’t here and he still can’t get on the field says a ton. 

Unless there are a bunch of injuries I don’t see a scenario where he starts playing much. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The hope in 18 was to bench him, work with him with the intention of getting him back on track. Still was with old regime and had 4 years left on deal. 

Now there is 2 years left on his deal and 2 more years of ineptitude. Considering Mancini and Mountcastle aren’t here and he still can’t get on the field says a ton. 

Unless there are a bunch of injuries I don’t see a scenario where he starts playing much. 

I just don't think Hyde has it in him to flat out bench Davis.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm the O's I say no to that deal and let him know he's never getting into another game.  I'd tell him I'd forfeit first. 

That’s fine. He can also show up at spring training and force their hand. Orioles going to justify carrying someone like that on the bench with we hope Mountcastle and Mancini here? With Nunez you would have 3 players capable of playing 1B. 

All depends on how miserable Davis would be sitting while not playing and away from his family. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That’s fine. He can also show up at spring training and force their hand. Orioles going to justify carrying someone like that on the bench with we hope Mountcastle and Mancini here? With Nunez you would have 3 players capable of playing 1B. 

All depends on how miserable Davis would be sitting while not playing and away from his family. 

They don't need to justify it.  Everyone will know why he's there.

Also pretty decent chance the rosters will be oversized next year.

I'd want some money back, wouldn't have to be a huge amount but some savings beyond the value of time.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well.....  I see he his starting today. 

I see him playing maybe once/twice a week. To me that is being benched. Time will tell. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Well.....  I see he his starting today. 

I see him playing maybe once/twice a week. To me that is being benched. Time will tell. 

As I said earlier, I'd never put him in a game, see if that has more of an impact on him than infrequent playing has.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh, I disagree.  Hyde does not seem to be a fan of Davis, and has been stuck with his contract and zero production since he came on board.  They had that blowup in the dugout last year.  I absolutely think Hyde is the one benching him.

As for playing time, if Nunez starts slumping, they will put Davis back at first.  Nunez defense is so bad he is a liability out there.  So Nunez needs to keep hitting or we're getting the return of Davis.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

They don't need to justify it.  Everyone will know why he's there.

Also pretty decent chance the rosters will be oversized next year.

All the easier to carry him then and not hurt yourself. 

Davis holds the cards here. Orioles can bench him. It’s up to him all he wants to deal with it.  

My idea is to walk away and still not lose any money. The Orioles would get some payroll flexibility next couple of seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Oh, I disagree.  Hyde does not seem to be a fan of Davis, and has been stuck with his contract and zero production since he came on board.  They had that blowup in the dugout last year.  I absolutely think Hyde is the one benching him.

As for playing time, if Nunez starts slumping, they will put Davis back at first.  Nunez defense is so bad he is a liability out there.  So Nunez needs to keep hitting or we're getting the return of Davis.

I'm talking don't let him in a game style benching, not sit him some benching.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm talking don't let him in a game style benching, not sit him some benching.

No one is ever going to do that.  That is just spite, and there is no reason for it. 

Play him a couple times a week and see what happens.  

Just now, Dipper9 said:

No one is ever going to do that.  That is just spite, and there is no reason for it. 

Sure is.  To see if it gets him to quit.

You can also look at it as giving the team the best chance to win since Davis is at -.9 rWAR in just 45 at bats.  He's the worst option. 

This is professional baseball, not little league, everyone doesn't get a chance to play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t see him walking away from $46M. He will also be under internal pressure not to give back any money. 

Do I think it is more likely now he could walk away?, yes. That said it doesn’t mean he will take less money but it could be spread out even more. 

He can walk away and save face and technically not lose any money. 

He already considered retirement ... That means he would walk away from the money!

If he decides to retire he could come to the team and ask for a buyout to leave. If the team bulks which is also possible he could retire.

His ego and mental state has also been damaged and could further be by not playing.

Sounds like he has a good relationship with ownership which is another reason why I think this thing can work itself out this winter. 

Many ways this can play out and as much I as try to put myself in his shoes I don’t know how his mind works. He could have the attitude that the work stoppage screwed him up and he wants to give it one more shot. It’s possible he could walk away in the middle of next season. He tells the wife he wants to give it 3 months, makes $8.5M and then decides. 

He would have to be delusional at this point to think he is ever going to get consistent at bats. 

6 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

That has already been done each of the last two years in September! The guys has lost his reaction time! Part time play and rest arent going to bring it back.

In the report, he said he and his wife have agreed to give it one more try. Despite his efforts and hard work nothing has changed, again you can't fix his reaction time

• Upvote 1