Jump to content
accinfo

No more argument to play Chris Davis

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t see him walking away from $46M. He will also be under internal pressure not to give back any money. 

Do I think it is more likely now he could walk away?, yes. That said it doesn’t mean he will take less money but it could be spread out even more. 

He can walk away and save face and technically not lose any money. 

If I'm the O's I say no to that deal and let him know he's never getting into another game.  I'd tell him I'd forfeit first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was benched in June of 2018.

Let's see how long this lasts and how complete a benching it is before we say it's unprecedented.

The hope in 18 was to bench him, work with him with the intention of getting him back on track. Still was with old regime and had 4 years left on deal. 

Now there is 2 years left on his deal and 2 more years of ineptitude. Considering Mancini and Mountcastle aren’t here and he still can’t get on the field says a ton. 

Unless there are a bunch of injuries I don’t see a scenario where he starts playing much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The hope in 18 was to bench him, work with him with the intention of getting him back on track. Still was with old regime and had 4 years left on deal. 

Now there is 2 years left on his deal and 2 more years of ineptitude. Considering Mancini and Mountcastle aren’t here and he still can’t get on the field says a ton. 

Unless there are a bunch of injuries I don’t see a scenario where he starts playing much. 

I just don't think Hyde has it in him to flat out bench Davis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm the O's I say no to that deal and let him know he's never getting into another game.  I'd tell him I'd forfeit first. 

That’s fine. He can also show up at spring training and force their hand. Orioles going to justify carrying someone like that on the bench with we hope Mountcastle and Mancini here? With Nunez you would have 3 players capable of playing 1B. 

All depends on how miserable Davis would be sitting while not playing and away from his family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That’s fine. He can also show up at spring training and force their hand. Orioles going to justify carrying someone like that on the bench with we hope Mountcastle and Mancini here? With Nunez you would have 3 players capable of playing 1B. 

All depends on how miserable Davis would be sitting while not playing and away from his family. 

They don't need to justify it.  Everyone will know why he's there.

Also pretty decent chance the rosters will be oversized next year.

I'd want some money back, wouldn't have to be a huge amount but some savings beyond the value of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just don't think Hyde has it in him to flat out bench Davis.

Well.....  I see he his starting today. 

I see him playing maybe once/twice a week. To me that is being benched. Time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eddie83 said:

Well.....  I see he his starting today. 

I see him playing maybe once/twice a week. To me that is being benched. Time will tell. 

As I said earlier, I'd never put him in a game, see if that has more of an impact on him than infrequent playing has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just don't think Hyde has it in him to flat out bench Davis.

Oh, I disagree.  Hyde does not seem to be a fan of Davis, and has been stuck with his contract and zero production since he came on board.  They had that blowup in the dugout last year.  I absolutely think Hyde is the one benching him.

As for playing time, if Nunez starts slumping, they will put Davis back at first.  Nunez defense is so bad he is a liability out there.  So Nunez needs to keep hitting or we're getting the return of Davis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

They don't need to justify it.  Everyone will know why he's there.

Also pretty decent chance the rosters will be oversized next year.

All the easier to carry him then and not hurt yourself. 

Davis holds the cards here. Orioles can bench him. It’s up to him all he wants to deal with it.  

My idea is to walk away and still not lose any money. The Orioles would get some payroll flexibility next couple of seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Oh, I disagree.  Hyde does not seem to be a fan of Davis, and has been stuck with his contract and zero production since he came on board.  They had that blowup in the dugout last year.  I absolutely think Hyde is the one benching him.

As for playing time, if Nunez starts slumping, they will put Davis back at first.  Nunez defense is so bad he is a liability out there.  So Nunez needs to keep hitting or we're getting the return of Davis.

I'm talking don't let him in a game style benching, not sit him some benching.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm talking don't let him in a game style benching, not sit him some benching.

No one is ever going to do that.  That is just spite, and there is no reason for it. 

 

Play him a couple times a week and see what happens.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dipper9 said:

No one is ever going to do that.  That is just spite, and there is no reason for it. 

 

Play him a couple times a week and see what happens.  

Sure is.  To see if it gets him to quit.

You can also look at it as giving the team the best chance to win since Davis is at -.9 rWAR in just 45 at bats.  He's the worst option. 

This is professional baseball, not little league, everyone doesn't get a chance to play. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t see him walking away from $46M. He will also be under internal pressure not to give back any money. 

Do I think it is more likely now he could walk away?, yes. That said it doesn’t mean he will take less money but it could be spread out even more. 

He can walk away and save face and technically not lose any money. 

He already considered retirement ... That means he would walk away from the money!

If he decides to retire he could come to the team and ask for a buyout to leave. If the team bulks which is also possible he could retire.

 

His ego and mental state has also been damaged and could further be by not playing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like he has a good relationship with ownership which is another reason why I think this thing can work itself out this winter. 

Many ways this can play out and as much I as try to put myself in his shoes I don’t know how his mind works. He could have the attitude that the work stoppage screwed him up and he wants to give it one more shot. It’s possible he could walk away in the middle of next season. He tells the wife he wants to give it 3 months, makes $8.5M and then decides. 

He would have to be delusional at this point to think he is ever going to get consistent at bats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

No one is ever going to do that.  That is just spite, and there is no reason for it. 

 

Play him a couple times a week and see what happens.  

That has already been done each of the last two years in September! The guys has lost his reaction time! Part time play and rest arent going to bring it back.

In the report, he said he and his wife have agreed to give it one more try. Despite his efforts and hard work nothing has changed, again you can't fix his reaction time

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 67 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Remember making raids to Bostons message board to read the depression that september of 11?  Sons of Sam Horn was so much fun reading.  "Robert F...ing Andino" all they could say.  Andino beat the Red Sox three different times in like a three week time that fall.   Imagine them hating Andino with a passion!
    • Turns out the Padres teach this, as did the O's under Buck.
    • Hi! May I ask where you got those stats? I'm trying to be smarter when it comes to baseball and understand stats like you do. I really wanna be able to talk baseball with all of you, but I don't know a lot and don't know the sites you go to and how you know so much. 
    • I came here to weigh in on Bundy too as he's off to a rough start. Just looking at the numbers, I think Bundy while not pitching well is having bad luck in addition. His WHIP is 1.26, 4.08 FIP and 1.5 home runs per nine innings. All of those stats are within his career averages or slightly better so far. I think Bundy will come around if he keeps the home runs allowed from blowing up and doesn't get wild.   
    • Bundy now has a 6.02 ERA even though his peripherals aren't bad. Long ball maybe? Gausman is still killing it with a 1.84 ERA and 0.84 WHIP.
    • wildcard, you stole my thunder.   For years I posted an “at the quarter pole” thread that listed how various stats projected out.   Thanks for saving me the work! So what’s real, what’s not real, and what’s still undecided?   I’ve always felt that somewhere between now and Memorial Day was around the time to start taking stats seriously.   Not that they’ll all hold, but they are no longer the product of absurdly small sample sizes.  Here’s a few thoughts. The offensive player who seems most likely for a course correction is Cedric Mullins - his BA is 27 points above his xBA, his wOBA is 37 points above his xwOBA, his BABIP is 69 points above league average.   His numbers are going to head significantly down.   The good news: even with those corrections he should be an above average major league CF this year when the dust has cleared, and his defense is outstanding.   Both Maikel Franco and Rio Ruiz have very low BABIPs, but when you look behind that, they are making very poor contact and their xBA and xwOBA are very close to their BA and wOBA.    I’d like to think that at least Franco will rebound, but I’m not counting on it. I don’t see anyone else whose actual BA/wOBA are grossly disparate from expectations based on K rate and quality of contact.  Still, I feel there is way more upside vs. downside in the offense.    Lots of players are underperforming past numbers and I have to feel they will come around.   Some of the younger guys are still learning and will improve as the year progresses I think.  The offense is at 3.85 runs/game and .669.   I expect those numbers to rise, though our offense will remain below average.    It’s too late at night for me to shift gears and talk pitching.    Offhand I don’t see likely improvement there on a group basis, but I’ll need to look a little harder.    
    • Ordinarily, I'd say about a guy like Sisco, who has some credentials as a hitter but looks lost at the plate, "Give him steady, regular at-bats and see whether he hits." I might still say that. But the complication is that the Orioles have a catcher they expect to be getting most of the ABs for a few years. I think it's unlikely that giving Sisco a lot more ABs will help determine whether he should be considered for the role of back-up catcher, but maybe it would help him develop better habits or gain confidence or something that would bear on his value as Adley's backup.    
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...